The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

ifs diff questions

Old 03-28-2015, 08:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ifs diff questions

I've had this idea of building something like a sand rail and using an ifs diff for the rear end, but since they are meant for the front I would be going backwards when trying to go forwards. So my question is what if I flipped it upside down? I know it then would be like a hi-pinion diff without the ability to lube itself, but could one drill and tap the new bottom and the area close to the pinion bearings and install a small pump to feed gear oil to the bearings?
Old 03-29-2015, 12:28 AM

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts
Seems like it would be way too much work to make the front diff operational an live when something else is already made to do that same job. It would be much easier to find an IRS setup out of a mark III 86-92 supra if you wanted to go this route with toyota parts. You can take the whole sub frame, diff, arms, and axles as a complete unit.
But there are lots of other IRS setups out there that are just as strong if not more then the supra setup.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Robert m
Seems like it would be way too much work to make the front diff operational an live when something else is already made to do that same job. It would be much easier to find an IRS setup out of a mark III 86-92 supra if you wanted to go this route with toyota parts. You can take the whole sub frame, diff, arms, and axles as a complete unit.
But there are lots of other IRS setups out there that are just as strong if not more then the supra setup.
U are right, the only reason I was wondering is because I have the front diff from when I did a SAS
Old 03-29-2015, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by twistedyota
I've had this idea of building something like a sand rail and using an ifs diff for the rear end, but since they are meant for the front I would be going backwards when trying to go forwards. So my question is what if I flipped it upside down? I know it then would be like a hi-pinion diff without the ability to lube itself, but could one drill and tap the new bottom and the area close to the pinion bearings and install a small pump to feed gear oil to the bearings?
Putting a front diff in the rear will not make it run reverse. Turning it up side down will. Solid axle guys swap front and rear 3rd all the time.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:50 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Not rain on your party; but...... Sand rails are built on a Volkswagen chassis with air cooled engines. IFS is done for you. In fact I bet you can get one on ebay in tough shape so as to be perfect for that project.
Old 03-29-2015, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by JasonYota
Putting a front diff in the rear will not make it run reverse. Turning it up side down will. Solid axle guys swap front and rear 3rd all the time.
Yea that's solid axle guys, I'm talking about taking a front ifs diff and making it a rear axle, and to make it turn the right way I would have to flip it uspide down.
Old 03-29-2015, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by skypilot
Not rain on your party; but...... Sand rails are built on a Volkswagen chassis with air cooled engines. IFS is done for you. In fact I bet you can get one on ebay in tough shape so as to be perfect for that project.
I know that's why I said something like a sand rail, and the reason I'm thinking of a toyota ifs is because I have one laying around
Old 03-29-2015, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by twistedyota
Yea that's solid axle guys, I'm talking about taking a front ifs diff and making it a rear axle, and to make it turn the right way I would have to flip it uspide down.
No you wouldn't. A solid axle and IFS diff rotates the same direction. Flip it upside down and then it turns the other way. No need to flip it upside down.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by JasonYota
No you wouldn't. A solid axle and IFS diff rotates the same direction. Flip it upside down and then it turns the other way. No need to flip it upside down.
O yea you are right, my brain was drawing blanks thinking it was backwards