The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

Heated leater seats junkyard swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heated leater seats junkyard swap

I am looking at upgrading my seats In my
1st gen pick up . I can pick a pair of front heated leather seats from the junkyard for a fair price . I know I will need to build custom mounts or change up the brackets which is not a issue as I sit too low now . I am also installing 5 point harness so seat belts are non issue.

I am looking for some help in which seats would be the easiest to wire in. I was hoping to find a pair of seats that I can just wire a relay in with a toggle to power the seats. Or something Along those lines . Has anyone done this before ? I have searched yota tech and pirate along with google trying to find other wright ups and have not found anything relating back to wiring. All I am finding is Info on fitment and mounting .

Does anyone know of factory heated seats with the switch mounted on the side of the seat ?

I was looking at the vw Jetta mk3 seats . They sit higher up . Comfy . Readily available in my area but looking at the wiring schematic I need modules from somewhere in the dash and then the switches as well. I am still unsure if I could just fool the seats into heating my buns with a relay and toggle switch or dash dimmer switch .

Any help here would be great ! I'm sure some one has already done this mod !

And yes I have seen the aftermarket heater kits you can get and install with original seats . My original seats are bashed and I find them to sit too low .
Old 01-03-2015, 10:43 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

First thing you should do is upgrade your charging system.

Do you have any idea of the draw of the heating elements??

You need to know the draw to size the components .

Do you plan on running through switched power as well because so easy to leave on and come out to a dead battery been there all to often.

If you would post a picture of the Jetta seat wiring it might be simple to wire with a relay and switch.Using the proper circuit protection .

some also run off a thermostat if that gets bypassed burns would be so embarrassing and painful

The Germans love to way over engineer things with computers and a dozen relays to operate a simple circuit.

Myself I would just build a system to use the warm engine coolant rather then electric to each there own.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have upgraded my charging system . Running dual batteries and a chev alternator .

I will have a switched source for both ignition and a toggle switch to turn them on and off or
I could possibly grab the potentiometer switches for these seats out of the dash of the donor car . This may help . But I am still thinking that these seats need a control unit or module that is found in the dash somewhere . This is the part I am unsure of being able to fool with a relay

Is there any other seats that come to mind that may work for what I want to do ? I was also thinking seats from a ford escape. Or a chev silverado. Although a little big

The hot engine coolant running threw the seats sounds like a great farmer idea .. But isn't really the direction I want to go.