Arizona Arizona Chapter

4 Peaks/Sugarloaf Clean up - Nov 5th

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 10:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 Peaks/Sugarloaf Clean up - Nov 5th

I just read this over on another forum - I know I will be there with my usual crew of cleaner-uppers:

Hi all, it's Chad from Copperstate 4 wheelers and I'm in the process of planning for this years trail cleanup hosted by Copperstates 4 wheelers. Last years cleanup turn out was good but we're hoping for a bigger turn out this year. We're also going to be a bit ambitious as well. This year, Copperstate 4 wheelers will be planning the cleanup for both Sugarloaf and Four peaks. We will be working closely with the Tonto National Forest for both locations. This years combined cleanup will be on Saturday November the 5th. The meeting time is 8 am and we'll likely be out there until 3 pm or so. The meeting location will be the Four Peaks staging area approximately 1/2 mile after turning off highway 87 on the Four Peaks road at mile marker 204. As with last years cleanup there will be a raffle and I'm hoping to have lunch out there as well. Over the next several months, Copperstate will be looking for donations for the raffle, lunch, water, trash bags, and other materials to make this cleanup a success. So, anyone who is able to help with this process and donate to this cause will be greatly appreciated. More than all of that however, is the donation of your time which is most important. Sponsors for this years clean up include: The Expeditioneers, Offroad Passport, Xoskel, Desert Rat, Sierra Expeditions, Asfir 4x4, Arizona offroad recovery LLC, Wells Fargo green team, Az NAXJA, Allied waste, and 4 Wheel Parts.
Clean up information can be obtained either by emailing me at chad@copperstate4wheelers.com or by following Copperstate 4wheelers Facebook page (you have to search for Copperstate Four wheelers). Updates will be posted on this Facebook page. I will be posting up information on online forums and with various organizations to help make this a huge success.

Thank you in advance to all.
Chad Chaney, Copperstate 4 wheelers.

Hope to see you there!
Old 09-18-2011, 09:28 AM

For anyone who is interested in helping out - Copperstate Cruisers are posting updates on their facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/#!/Copperstatefourwheelers

as well as the 4Peaks/Sugarloaf Clean-up Facebook calendar thing:

https://www.facebook.com/Copperstate...14301881935276

Last edited by lofreqjeff; 09-18-2011 at 09:30 AM.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would like to make it to this event! We will see if I can get this 4runner built in time.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:06 PM

More info for ya'll:

http://www.azlro.org/about/388-2011-...ate-4-wheelers

http://www.copperstate4wheelers.com/
Old 10-19-2011, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FNG here, Im in for this event for sure!
Old 10-25-2011, 09:11 AM

Still more info about the event:

Some TV news coverage:

http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/state/...for-volunteers

Mesa Ranger District info:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fs... News & Events

Mesa, Ariz. (October 24, 2011) – Tonto National Forest officials today announced a major volunteer cleanup event on Saturday, November 5, 2011, 8 am – 3 pm in the Four Peaks-Sugar Loaf areas.

“When we last held this event in February, 2010, volunteers removed almost 25 tons of trash and debris from the forest,” said Mesa district ranger Art Wirtz. “This year we will focus our clean-up efforts on the areas east and west of Highway 87 for Sugarloaf and Four Peaks.”

Volunteers should bring their own lunch, wear closed-toe shoes, long pants/long sleeve shirts, and bring gloves. “Since we will be working to clean up shooting pits near Sugar Loaf, it would helpful if volunteers could also bring rakes, shovels, and magnetic brooms,” Wirtz said.

The Four Peaks volunteer registration area is approximately .5 mile east of Highway 87, near mile marker 204. Follow Highway 87 north to the Four Peaks Road (mile marker 204) and then follow the signs to sign in and get your assignment.

The Four Peaks-Sugarloaf event is organized by the Copper State 4 Wheelers Coordinator Chad Chaney, who can be contacted at chad@copperstate4wheelers.com.

For a variety of volunteer opportunities and application forms, please visit the Mesa Ranger District Volunteer website at www.mrdvolunteers.org. For more information, please call Mesa Ranger District at 480-610-3300.

If you are planning on attending, please go to www.mrdvolunteers.org and register - it is not a requirement, but it helps them get a better idea of what the turn out will be. Also on that site you can sign up to become a national forest volunteer. I plan on getting more involved with the Mesa Ranger District as a volunteer on many of their upcoming projects. There is a section on this link to register a one time group volunteer porject if we wanted to try and organize our own clean up some time. After the disaster we saw at Butcher Jones this weekend I'm inspired to possibly try and organize something out there. It would be nice to have a clean up effort spearheaded by Yotatech members. We need to be be leaders, not followers out there and take care of our playgrounds, our national forest.

Last edited by lofreqjeff; 10-25-2011 at 09:14 AM.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:49 PM

This is coming up fast, just at few days away - and its supposed to be awesome weather Saturday - 64* and sunny!

Hope to see you there