British Columbia British Columbia Chapter

Moving to Vancouver..Have a few q's

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moving to Vancouver..Have a few q's

Hey all. Come mid-september I will be moving to Vancouver and have a few q's about the area and etc.. The gf wants to stay in the kitsilano area and such and she will be working in Burnaby. Im not very familiar with the area but I really like all the apartments in Port Moody.. Such awesome views from the apartments and the prices are way better. How terrible of a commute is it from Port Moody to Burnaby or Kitsilano area in the rush hours? She is making it sound like complete hell, but she really has never done it.
Also do you guys go wheeling regularly? on maybe moderate trails? Trying to find some folks so I can see the real BC and not just Starbucks and the beach.
Also anyone have some trusted mechanics or shops they go to?
Anyways, thats the q's for now but any help will be great, and im sure ill have some more q's as the day draws closer.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Kits is a nice place to live if you're young, but way too busy for me. You'll find Port Moody is much quieter, with a lot more outdoor activities.

The commute from Port Moody to Burnaby should be fairly easy, to Kits not so easy. I used to commute from Port Coquitlam, which is about 10 km further east then Port Moody, to Vancouver Hospital area and it was 45 - 60 minutes, each way. I wouldn't say it was complete hell but it is one of the reasons I switched jobs. Port Moody to Kits would probably be 30-45 minutes each way.

As for wheeling anything good about an hours drive north or east of the city. Harrison Lake area has miles and miles and miles of trails, or Squamish up north has lots of logging roads too.

Check in on bc4x4.com as well, lots of guys to wheel with there.

Can't help you on the mechanic though, I do everything myself.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:31 PM

Cool thanks for the help. Reason I ask about the mechanics is because everything so far in the Kits area seems like you have no place to fix your vehicle and in most cases is frowned upon. Im really not in favour of that too much since I like to do all of my own work.
I really like the port moody feel, even from the pictures. But I suppose I dont care too much for all the downtown b.s. This may be due to coming from a smaller city.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used to live in Kits and had to park on the street. Truck got vandalized at least 3 times a year. Parking is hell. Getting anywhere is hell. Kits is great if you want to party or hang out at the beach and cruise for chicks. Rent/ housing is expensive too.

I had a guy want to beat me up because I was adjusting the idle on my van at 4pm and in his opinion I was making to much noise. (I may have taunted him a little but only because he was being an a$$, lol)

It has it's pluses. Lots of good restaurants within walking distance, pubs, bars, beaches, coffee shops and eyecandy. But for a wrenching 4wheeler it isn't great. Takes FOREVER to get out of the city. I once changed a headlight on my truck and one of my neighbours came over to tell me where the local toyota dealer was located.

Came out of my place one night around midnight to get something out of my car and there were 2 drunk 20 somethings sitting on the hood of my truck. Crap like that drove me out of there. Oh ya street people everywhere.

GRanted I lived one block north of Broadway and a couple west of McDonald so I was pretty central. I moved to North Van and I like it way better. If I were you I would move to Port Moody. For some reason chicks love Kits.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:01 AM

Yeah, you guys ae pretty much enforcing my own concerns. Though I do not live in Vancouver, when I visited for a bit, Kits was just a place where people moved fast to look busy while waliking with their heads far up their ass and in the clouds...Amazing how the two can happen simultaneously.
I would prefer somewhere on the periphery of the downtown, and really like Port Moody for some reason. But like neoworm says, I guess it is just a chick thing..restaurants and shopping.
It most likely wont be our permanent residence so I guess I can deal with it for a year, but this dowtown life is just so over-played.
Im just going to have to come and bug some of you guys to use your driveway to tinker with my truck!
And I will be actually working remotely for my current company from a home office for the first few months so I need a place that isnt annoying.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:21 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Godzilla
Im just going to have to come and bug some of you guys to use your driveway to tinker with my truck!
My driveway is always available, for a nice bottle of Scotch I'd even clear out the garage for you
If you end up in Port Moody I'm only 15 minutes way.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by eric-the-red
My driveway is always available, for a nice bottle of Scotch I'd even clear out the garage for you
If you end up in Port Moody I'm only 15 minutes way.
Im sure you will end up being one very drunk individual once i get there
Old 08-01-2008, 07:33 AM

Ditto, don't mind lending a bit of garage space too for a bit of tinkering. Eric is closer but I don't drink. LOL!

Hey Eric, what year was your runner again. I'm doing a 3,4 swap and I need to look under the hood of a 2000.

Last edited by neoworm0; 08-01-2008 at 07:37 AM.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by neoworm0
Ditto, don't mind lending a bit of garage space too for a bit of tinkering. Eric is closer but I don't drink. LOL!

Hey Eric, what year was your runner again. I'm doing a 3,4 swap and I need to look under the hood of a 2000.
I have a 99 if pics would help.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:02 AM

Thanks. I have a 99 in my neighbours driveway I can look at. I just wanted to see if there were any subtle differences between the two.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:50 PM

I see your dilmema. I live in Port Moody right now and I love it. However the wife wants to move back to Kits to be close to her family. The only thing I don't like about POMO is that your limted to the Lougheed/Barnet HWY to get out. If an accident happens, your likely to be stuck for a while. As well, if you live on the mountain make sure you have decent set of snow tires you'll need them in the winter.

There's lots of parks out here. Buntzen lake, White Pine Beach, and Belecarra. Golden Ears is only 35 minutes away. Check out the mansions in Anmore.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:05 PM

Well we got a place just off West 10th ave near Laurel. Nice place for a really good price (almost unheard of in vancouver). This way the gf can get on 12th ave all the way to the highway which brings her into Burnaby.
Not in the busy Kits area (phew), but almost just as close to everything when we want to go to the beach and etc.. So should be good..Looking to be out there by mid Sept. Can't wait!
Old 08-08-2008, 09:30 AM

I'm not really into the city life at all personally, but my experiences in Kitsilano are that it's a really nice place but that it's a pain to find parking and Vancouver traffic in general sucks.

There are a lot of places closer to Burnaby that will make your commute and your life easier whether Coquitlam/Burquitlam, Port Moody or Port Coquitlam.

Definitely good wheeling east of the city from Maple Ridge onward, but also north of Coquitlam as well. Along with the BC4x4 site check out www.funinbc.com as well.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:29 AM

Trust me, you want Hastings Street!!!! I here the Balmoral has the biggest rooms.... Joking of course.... I wish I was moving bacK to Van. lived there for many years and would move back tomorrow if I could.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yeah if you want to score go down hastings street thats about it!

a.k.a shakedown street
Old 09-30-2008, 08:49 AM

Well, im here now in Vancouver and was wondering if there are any scrap yards, etc, that I can go and browse for some 4runner parts. does anyone have any suggestions?
Old 09-30-2008, 04:47 PM

Alpi's in Surrey has the best selecion.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:08 PM

Alpis has the best selection. heres the website http://www.usedsuvparts.com
There are alot of other auto wreckers by them on Scott RD. most have a toyota or two.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:41 PM

Welcome to this beautiful city. It has been ranked 1st or 2nd of almost every list for the best cities in the world.
Great wheeling spots=== Harrison Lake for sure-- Hwy#7, left at Sasquatch Inn . Through Hot Springs(city centre,don't blink..lol) and east side of Harison.
Although wreckers are a fun place to visit, most of my parts and buys have come off Craigslist .Parts are off and half the price of a wrecker. Highly recommend!
Take care and have fun out there!
Old 09-30-2008, 07:54 PM

haha, yeah ive been checking craigslist everyday!. Im sure I will use it often. Ill have to follow some of you on the trails one day.

Quick Reply: Moving to Vancouver..Have a few q's