Virginia Virginia Chapter

Where are the Virginia People?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where are the Virginia People?

Just curious. Does anyone get together for off road trips?
Old 09-29-2010, 08:33 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
virginia people +1

i just go camping in my rig, but if there's some light trails someone knows about, i'm all ears

edit: yeah, i know i'm not a 4roc member, or even a frnr owner, but i would like to meet some other yoter's around here

Last edited by irab88; 09-29-2010 at 08:38 AM.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:36 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
roanoke here
Old 10-04-2010, 12:53 PM

VA Peeps

Yea man, I am in the Charlottesville area and know of 3 decent places within an hour of here. I was just up by Reddish Knob 2 weekends ago to wheel and take kids camping. Had some bear AND coyote action Saturday night.

Hit me up soon as I think I am getting a crew together for a mid November trip.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:57 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Trail_Banger
sounds good to me. pm sent
Old 10-04-2010, 03:44 PM

Southwest Virginia here, Abingdon, near Bristol VA/TN
Old 10-04-2010, 03:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
South west VA here also , Im from Coeburn =)
Old 10-30-2010, 08:34 PM

Chesapeake here. I just PMd a guy that is in Norfolk too.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:54 AM
Contributing Member

lynchburg here
Old 11-18-2010, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Trail_Banger
Yea man, I am in the Charlottesville area and know of 3 decent places within an hour of here. I was just up by Reddish Knob 2 weekends ago to wheel and take kids camping. Had some bear AND coyote action Saturday night.

I am from Chesapeake and looking for a 4Runner now. I normally go wheeling/camping with Trail_Banger. (I think) Is that you JB?
Old 11-19-2010, 05:51 AM

Richmond, Where did you go in to trail at redish Knob?
Old 11-19-2010, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by iselloil
Richmond, Where did you go in to trail at redish Knob?
There are a good number of ways to get up to the trails. The easiest way to describe is: Take 33 W headed towards WVa. Once you are out of H'Burg and all of the little poh-dunk towns, you will start heading up the mountain.(almost in Wva) As you are going up the mountain there is only one place that has a center turn lane to make a left. Take this left. It puts you on a gravel road that runs back down the mountain and next to a dam.(I think its called Switzer Dam) As you are going down the trail you will see lots of places to stop and camp. There are a few trails the cut off of the main trail here but none of there are very long and (All of them I have been down) dead end. Staying on the main trail will lead you back up another mountain and will eventually come to a Tee/Y that is along the ridge that is Reddish Knob. If you go left at the Tee it will take you to the second place you can come in. Right takes you to the 3rd.

2nd way: Coming from Bridgewater head North on 42/257. Once you are out of town you will pass Turner Ashby High School on your right. Once you pass the high school you are going to take your next left. (its almost 1 mile past the high school) onto Ottobine Rd/257/Mason St/ State Route 737/Dry River Rd (Yes, there are that many names for the road. It just depends on exactly where you as to what it is called at that particular point. And I can't remember the exact name where you take the left but I am pretty sure it is Ottobine.) Continue down this rd for several miles until you come to a stop sign. (on your right will be Ottobine Country Store) REMEMBER THIS SPOT FOR DIRECTIONS TO THE 3rd SPOT. Continue straight at the intersection onto Waggy's Creek Rd. Continue on Waggy's Creek Rd until you see a trash drop off place on your right. (It sits off the road about 50 yards but is easily seen). Take your next left onto Union Springs Rd. This road will turn into a dirt road after about a half mile and you will see a water tower and dam to your left. You will start seeing signs posted about it being a National Forest Rd. Camping on this end of the trail is sparse.

Way 3: Starting from the Ottobine Country Store. Instead of going straight onto Waggy's Creek take a left at the stop sign onto Briery Branch/Clover Hill Rd. This Rd will make a VERY sharp left hand turn and immediately after the left there will be a store and the left. Take a right here to continue onto Briery Branch Rd. After several miles this road will turn into an unmarked paved road. Continue up this road until you come to a point where it splits 3 ways. Take the far right option that is a dirt forest road. There are lots of camping on this end and it is the end that I normally use for this reason.

Please let me know if this doesn't make any sense and I will try and work something out through google maps.

Josh
Old 11-19-2010, 09:45 AM

Thanks.Its been years since I've been up there.I need to plan a trip.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:53 AM

I'm out of raleigh, nc but if anyone wants to do a weekend trip I'll go anywhere!
Old 01-02-2011, 02:42 AM

i am stationed in Goldsboro NC now, but i'm from Richlands and return there often. currently in afghanistan, but i will be game to hit some VA trails when i get back.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:30 AM

I work in Bristol VA but live in TN. I try to hit up Harlan as often as I can. Where do you guys wheel?
Old 04-12-2011, 11:40 AM

im from nc but i have alot of family in virginia so im up there quite often
Old 04-12-2011, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by cootees
roanoke here
Im 45 mins away from roanoke in the small town of giles lol id be up for a day trip. Dont really know of any hardcore trails but theres a fire tower road me and my cousin always ride and theres the bobcat in blacksburg dont know how rough it is but its on the map as a jeep trail. Ive heard of em doing some jambrees through there.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:12 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by baddest94
Im 45 mins away from roanoke in the small town of giles lol id be up for a day trip. Dont really know of any hardcore trails but theres a fire tower road me and my cousin always ride and theres the bobcat in blacksburg dont know how rough it is but its on the map as a jeep trail. Ive heard of em doing some jambrees through there.
Bobcat was fun but it's now closed. Really the only good trail we have left with a short drive is potts.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by cootees
Bobcat was fun but it's now closed. Really the only good trail we have left with a short drive is potts.
I never knew they closed the bobcat ive only been through there once long time before my yoter. And the fire tower road is on mnt lake it aint nething rough theres some mud after you pass the tower but if you get caught in the ones off the road you get a ticket. I dont think ive ever been through potts where exactly is it located

Quick Reply: Where are the Virginia People?