Virginia Virginia Chapter

Lifting only the front

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2004, 04:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lifting only the front

I was wondering how I could only lift the front of my 4runner about an inch to an inch and a half to even out the gap between the wheels and the wheel-wells front to back. Any suggestions? I contacted nitrous enterprises and they want $125 for (2) 3/4", but I dont think that will be enough. your thoughts?

Shaun
Old 09-26-2004, 06:46 AM
Contributing Member

You shouldn't mess with the suspension geometry just to do this. If you look at the first gen 4runner versus the truck, the rear fender wells on the 4runner are cut lower than the pickup and combined with the heavier back end this really leads to a big visual difference in clearance. I have a set of AAL's waiting to go in the back but it still will have the mismatched wheel well gap.
If you lift the front a bit off the wheels and not in the back, you may actually find your steering and suspension characteristics change. It seems to me the center of gravity would shift back and take some down pressure off the front wheels, reducing your steering effectiveness.
Worst of all to do it this way you would have to engineer the lift to be progressively smaller as they go back. If you just add height up front you would end up stressing the body that is no longer supported in the middle.
Go for a mild body lift all around, It would keep it even and make the difference less obvious. You would have room for slightly bigger tires too...
Old 09-26-2004, 10:18 AM
Banned

Shaun -- 3/4" spacer will give you 1" due to the physics of the suspension under pressure. If you want more than 1", we can do that too -- we can do any size lift for you, you just have to tell us what size you want! It'll still be $125, but you can get whatever size you want. I told you a 3/4" spacer because you asked for 1" specifically and that would give you 1". If you want something different, don't hesitate to ask!
Old 09-26-2004, 10:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dajabr
If you lift the front a bit off the wheels and not in the back, you may actually find your steering and suspension characteristics change. It seems to me the center of gravity would shift back and take some down pressure off the front wheels, reducing your steering effectiveness.
Worst of all to do it this way you would have to engineer the lift to be progressively smaller as they go back. If you just add height up front you would end up stressing the body that is no longer supported in the middle.
Go for a mild body lift all around, It would keep it even and make the difference less obvious. You would have room for slightly bigger tires too...
This is not true. I am running 4" in the front and 2.5" in the rear, and have had NO change in the steering AT ALL. The only thing that caused a change in steering was when I got larger tires. Putting a 1" lift in the front of your truck is something a lot of people have done to level it out, and it does not, I repeat - DOES NOT - reduce steering effectiveness, nor does it stress the body. All of the lift kits on the market for the 4th gen. 4runner are something that provides more lift in the front than in the rear - hence why they are often called (by Daystar and Revtek) "leveling kits" --- the front of the 4th gen. is raked downward, and is visibly far lower than the rear. That's why companies have manufactured their lifts to provide .5" - 1" more in the front than in the rear. There would be NO difference in lifting the front 1" and leaving the rear where it is. Plenty of people are running their set up this way.

It's okay if you don't want the lift, but you should at least be aware of the fact that EVERY 4th gen. that has been lifted is running a larger spacer in the front than in the rear. AND no one has complained of ANY change in steering. I'm not just talking about our NE lifts, but everyone running Revtek, Daystar, or Downey. Look around the board if you want, or look at the shops online -- Daystar's kit is 2.5" in the front and 2" in the rear - Revtek's kit is 3" in the front and 2.5" in the rear - etc.
Old 09-26-2004, 10:34 AM

Shaun-

To begin, you know the overall scoop here as we have been working with you directly. Everything that r0cky has said is entirely correct. Many companies just make plain "leveling kits" for super duty trucks that just add 2-3" of lift in the front and that is it. The physics, geometry, and logic to your idea is just fine and safe as well. Dont sweat it, LXA.

Billy
Old 09-26-2004, 02:18 PM

Thanks everyone....I will think this out a little bit more. I appreciate the the input!

Shaun
Old 09-26-2004, 04:08 PM
Contributing Member

=r0cky EVERY 4th gen. that has been lifted is running a larger spacer in the front than in the rear.
This is my point, and am glad you specified this, there are spacers in the rear. You can't just put spacers up front and not have progressivley smaller spacers through to the back. Like he said,

I am running 4" in the front and 2.5" in the rear

I have to say, every other post in this thread sounds like a sales pitch to me.
Shaun, just keep the body supported. If these guys can do it, then there's no problem.

Last edited by dajabr; 09-27-2004 at 07:16 AM.
Old 09-26-2004, 04:16 PM
Banned

dajabr - I am a she, I am running 4" in the front and 2.5" in the rear because that looks level to me. Yes you CAN put a front spacer in and have nothing in the back. Research research research, man. I know of many people who are doing that because they don't want a big lift, but just want to level it out.

As far as it sounding like a sales pitch - if you only knew half of the situation you would understand that I have nothing to gain from sales other than happiness getting to help people. If you don't believe me, ask around.

He can buy our kit or not, whatever he wants, it's up to him. What I wanted him to understand is that what you posted is just not accurate. Of course there are spacers in the rear of my truck if I'm running a 4" lift in the front - I'm trying to have a truck here, not a rocketship. 1" from spacers in the front or even 1.5" would level the truck out and not effect the suspension components at all. If he doesn't buy from us, it's not a big deal, but I at least want him to have the correct information.
Old 09-26-2004, 04:19 PM
Banned

Progressively smaller spacers through to the back? Where exactly are you suggesting the spacers go on the way back when this is just a suspension lift -- therefore, you work on the coils/struts - present in the front of the vehicle, as well as in the rear -- where else would you put spacers? I have never heard of a lift like that unless it was a body lift and I don't even know then.

and another thing - if it was required for kits to put spacers in the front AND the back, then no company would seel the rear or front separately. but they do, because they know sometimes people are only going to want to raise the front to level things out, or the rear to rake the front.

Last edited by r0cky; 09-26-2004 at 04:25 PM.
Old 09-26-2004, 04:28 PM
Contributing Member

I'll leave it to Shaun to decide what kind of lift he wants. I'm sure he understands what's involved.
Old 09-26-2004, 04:28 PM
Banned

and it isn't a sales pitch - I mentioned Revtek and Daystar and Downey as well as NE, and I did not make any comments about which was better or what company he should buy from (other than stating that we could help him, SINCE HE APPROACHED US ON HIS OWN BEFORE POSTING THIS THREAD) - I was merely defending the knowledge most suspension-lift-offering companies have built their products upon.
Old 09-27-2004, 05:13 AM

In DABAJR's defense...he even stated "If these guys can do it, then there's no problem." I think I am going to do only the front, since my tires (2 ply sidewalls) and budget only allow for smaller mods. I dont on planning on taking a $30k truck and try to see just how close to flipping/rolling it I can before it happens. Not to mention that at some point this truck is going to be my wifes (she will be my wife as of Oct 9th!) when I eventually get my sports car---Come on Subaru Legacy STI! I am not a hard core off roader, and if I ever do decide to become one, I will be buying an old TACO or 4Runner with a manual transmission which I really dont care about to tackle the tough stuff. Everyone has their own beliefs and thoughts about what to do and what not to do.

Just my 2 cents. I thank everyone for their input.
Old 09-27-2004, 07:15 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Border411
(she will be my wife as of Oct 9th!)
Congrats man. We just set our date today, Dec 4th.
Old 09-27-2004, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by dajabr
Congrats man. We just set our date today, Dec 4th.
Thanks. This is the easiest decision I have ever had to make. It is harder trying to figure out just who I want to go with to level my truck! Daystar 1" front spacer I found online at wheelersoffroad for $60 (dont know what shipping is) and of course NE is $125 shipped (Not to mention I can get a custom amount of lift by telling them how much I want to lift the truck which gives me some flexibility). Hey DABAJR---Does 4x4 connection in Winchester install things like the spacers to level the truck?

Congrats to you to man!

Shaun
Old 09-27-2004, 02:11 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Border411
Hey DABAJR---Does 4x4 connection in Winchester install things like the spacers to level the truck?

Congrats to you to man!

Shaun
Yes they do. Ian gave them a great review at va4roc.com and he has used them on several occasions. There's also High Tech in Chantilly, check them out.
Old 09-27-2004, 02:43 PM
Banned

Shaun - whatever you decide to go with, if you end up doing it yourself, let me know and I'll send you my special package of instructions to help you out.

And even if you order from another company, please know I'd be more than happy to answer any questions you have on the process or anything you need -- I am with NE, but I'm also with all you YT guys and love to help, so let me know if you need anything (help-wise or whatever). Good luck on your decision, and know that whatever lift you choose, we'll all be expecting pictures!
Old 09-27-2004, 07:43 PM

I just sent an email to 4x4 connection to see what they reccommend and what the cost would be for them to install it.

I will let you know what the result is.

Shaun
Old 09-27-2004, 08:02 PM

Shaun-

Hey, I just shot you a PM. Get back to us asap with your thoughts on that deal...I think you are gonna like it.

Billy
Old 10-18-2004, 06:56 PM

Exclamation

Alrighty then....I got the spacers from Nitrous Enterprises and they look sweet--as well as VERY VERY red! Anyways, it seems like I was mistaken. The spacers are actually going to go in the spring pack, not outside the top plate for the coil pack. Now then---who wants to do some wrenching????
Old 10-18-2004, 07:20 PM
Banned

Hey Shaun -- I'm going to shoot you an email with the installation instructions, so keep an eye out for that!

You better post up some sweet pics of your ride after that lift, okay?

Quick Reply: Lifting only the front