Virginia Virginia Chapter

Dolly Sods (Blackwater Canyon/Canaan Loop Road) Camp & Ride

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 07:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dolly Sods (Blackwater Canyon/Canaan Loop Road) Camp & Ride

I don't know if you guys who attended the CORE4x4 meeting last Sunday remember a discussion on a overnight trail ride in West Virginia. Right now, two weekends in October have been proposed (Oct. 9-10 or 23-24). I don't know for sure, but Oct. 9-10 looks better others in the club.

I'm going.

List of who's going:

Ian
Dan
Rich (maybe)

Anybody else??

Last edited by Roadrunner; 09-27-2004 at 05:45 AM.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:44 PM
Contributing Member

A recent write-up on Dolly Sods (Blackwater Canyon/Canaan Loop) can be found at the link.
Old 09-22-2004, 04:27 AM
Contributing Member

Location: Home: Aurora, CO; Work: The People's Republic of Denver
I can actually make the 9-10 date since my wife will beout of town that weekend. Is there a write-up that describes the level of the trail? You saw my rig at the CORE meeting, it's bone stock (running boards would come off, of course), would it be able to make it?
Old 09-22-2004, 05:20 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rwmorrisonjr
I can actually make the 9-10 date since my wife will beout of town that weekend. Is there a write-up that describes the level of the trail? You saw my rig at the CORE meeting, it's bone stock (running boards would come off, of course), would it be able to make it?
Check out the link, it doesn't show any serious roads at all, mostly flat, gravel, some medium obstacles. I might do this one but I'd like to diagnose my 4x4 problem first.
Old 09-24-2004, 05:32 PM
Contributing Member

Mark your calendars for Oct. 9-10.

Here's a copy of the post from CORE, let me know if you can go:

The trip to Dolly Sods and Canaan Loop is set for October 9 and 10. This is expected to be an overnight camping trip in a primnitive camping area so pack accordingly. This is an exploratory trip and all indications are that it will be rather mild wheeling but there has been a significant amount of rain and wind this fall. Safety is always our first consideration. Prep your vehicle and pack as if you're staying for longer than you plan to in harsher territory than we expect. Also recall that October in the mountains ain't usually warm! I also do not expect cellular service to be very reliable in these areas so a CB or other communications device is highly recommended.

Right now the list looks like this:
Gil and Sherrie
Keith (~100%)
Ian Kluge
Jeremy Albrecht
Mike V. and Donna
Paul Provencher (friend of mine, you have seen him on the web as 4x4Icon)

Paul recently went over part of this trail (see http://www.4x4icon.com/offroad/07100...nyon/index.htm)
There are some spots for hiking which we will likely take advatnage of and the fall colors will ikely be at least starting to show through.

Right now, I plan on at least two meeting spots. The first will be the
South Mountain rest area west of Frederick MD on I-70 which may be
useful and probably also the West Virginia welcome center at milepost
30 on I-68. If there are several coming up from VA, you may want to set
another spot to meet and caravan together. Times for meetings will be
announced later.

All CORE members and guests are welcomed to join in for this ride. Guests are reminded to bring a signed waiver of liability from the CORE4x4.org website with you. Please give a rough percentage of your certainty of coming along.

I'm headed to Florida in the morning (Mother decided to invite us to the cleanup from the hurricane party!) and will return the weekend of October 2-3. (Actually this is just a visit as the family thankfully had no structural or personal damages from Ivan's first pass through the FL Panhandle.)

I'll check back next week.
~Keith
Old 09-26-2004, 05:00 PM
Contributing Member

We had a plan to go to Renn Fest if we are joined by some family. If this doesn't happen I will be goin on the Dolly Sods trip.

Anybody need Propane?
Old 09-26-2004, 05:22 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Home: Aurora, CO; Work: The People's Republic of Denver
Actually its looking more like I might be removing my SC that Saturday or Sunday (need for house buying cash, tired of $2+/gal gas, etc.) but that's if I can get into the auto shop at Andrews that weekend. Let me see how my schedule works out for that weekend.
Old 10-04-2004, 06:01 AM
Contributing Member

The trip to explore the Dolly Sods, West Virginia area is set for this weekend (Oct. 9-10). I am definately going.

Please let me know if you are going, we can make arrangements for driving out to West Virginia. The CORE Maryland folks are going via 270. I think those of us in Virginia should take 66 West to 81 North, them 50 West (at Winchester) and on to WV.

On this map, we ill be heading towards the Canaan Valley area:

The weather for this weekend looks good, clear & sunny, upper 60s - low 70s during the day, and the low 40s at night.
Old 10-04-2004, 06:16 AM
Contributing Member

I won't be making it. Going to Renn fest.
Old 10-04-2004, 02:21 PM

For those of you who are going on the ride...have fun and be safe. at 2pm on Oct 9th think of me as my wedding ceremony will be starting at that time! Anyways-Lookign forward to a fall colors ride with all of you when I get back. Anything set yet with CORE that you know about as to dates/location of such a ride?

Hey-Anyone going on the Fall Colors Ride with the guys from 4x4wire in the GWNF on Oct23rd? I think I can actually make that one!

Shaun

Last edited by Border411; 10-04-2004 at 02:25 PM.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:15 AM
Contributing Member

Last call for the West Virginia run. I'll probably be leaving the house around 8:15 am. The weather looks nice, it should be a good time exploring the area.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:19 AM

not gonan make it, got fire dept all weekend. shuan, im going to fall colors ride in oct. you should come, easy trails, and big party is all it really is. if you dont want to wheel that pretty 4runner of yours you can have shotgun with me.
Old 10-06-2004, 12:19 PM
Contributing Member

I sent you an email to your AOL account asking how long do you think it would take to get ftom Winchester to Keyser, West Virginia? I haven't driven down 50 West of Winchester.

The Fall Colors Run being discussed on VA TTORA and 4x4Wire, are they the same runs?

Originally Posted by runnerboy97
not gonan make it, got fire dept all weekend. shuan, im going to fall colors ride in oct. you should come, easy trails, and big party is all it really is. if you dont want to wheel that pretty 4runner of yours you can have shotgun with me.
Old 10-06-2004, 12:35 PM
Contributing Member

I checked the dates, can't make it. I'm having surgery on my back on Oct. 21 and will also miss the OXB run set for Halloween weekend that some of the CORE group are planning. We'll have a CORE Fall Run, I think the first weekend of Nov. Alittle late, but there's alot going on between now and then. Take plenty of pics when you go out.

Originally Posted by Roadrunner
I sent you an email to your AOL account asking how long do you think it would take to get ftom Winchester to Keyser, West Virginia? I haven't driven down 50 West of Winchester.

The Fall Colors Run being discussed on VA TTORA and 4x4Wire, are they the same runs?
Old 10-11-2004, 06:58 AM
Contributing Member

Made it back last night from West Virginia, we had a great time on the trails. I'll post a link to the trip write-up once it's posted. We're also pulling together all the photos that people took.