Washington Washington Chapter

what are the no door rules or laws in washinton?

Old 05-30-2012, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what are the no door rules or laws in washinton?

trying to figure out the no door rules here cause its gettin to be summer time and wonderin what i can and cant get away with. i was told you need there to be 6 inches of something there but idk for sure. help please lol
Old 05-31-2012, 06:21 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I have heard the same. My brother in law lives outside Kelso and says you can't do it unless it originally came without doors and that the new Jeeps are not supposed to do it.

I am pretty sure it against the law to go door less here in Oregon also but last Summer, I drove around with no doors for a few months and never got pulled over. Im not sure that the cops would even know the law on it.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:54 AM

Oregon law is only that you have to have mirrors, my buddy goes doorless every summer. We just get two round mirrors with magnetic bases and attach them to the fenders.

~Cordell
Old 06-10-2012, 01:51 AM

that helps a little lol but i'm still not sure bout wa laws lol. i know you gotta have 2 mirrows but idk lol
Old 06-13-2012, 12:50 PM

my buddy rocks his samurai with no doors all the time for the past 4+ years, hes never gotten stopped in/around north seattle/lynnwood
Old 06-13-2012, 11:56 PM

thx for the info guys
Old 06-14-2012, 10:15 AM

Received 101 Likes on 53 Posts
I think i heard somewhere, (not heard, not know) that you are supposed to have a lip 4" tall from the bottom of the door so keep stuff from coming out. That being said, I cruised up and down I405, and 167 and parts of I5 with no doors on... the summer before last, no issues.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:31 AM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
You always look up the RCW statutes and see what it says in there. Pretty sure WA has the "gotta have something there above the floorboards" rule. Just go with half doors and add a mirror and youre good to go.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:56 AM

Older thread but just to clarify..
The WAC on motor vehicles states:
WAC 204-10-022

Agency filings affecting this sectionBody requirements.

(1) Defroster and defogging devices: Every enclosed motor vehicle must be equipped with a device capable of defogging and defrosting the windshield area. Vehicles or exact replicas of vehicles manufactured prior to January 1938 are exempt from this requirement.

(2) Door latches: Every enclosed motor vehicle equipped with side doors leading directly into a compartment that contains one or more seating accommodations must be equipped with door latches which firmly and automatically secure the door when pushed closed and which allow each door to be opened both from the inside and outside.

(3) Hoodlatches: A front opening hood must be equipped with a primary and a secondary latching system to hold the hood in a closed position.

Hoods are optional equipment on vehicles defined as street rod vehicles, custom vehicles and kit vehicles.

(4) Enclosed passenger compartment: A motor vehicle with an enclosed passenger compartment and powered by an internal combustion engine must be constructed to prevent the entry of exhaust fumes into the passenger compartment.

(5) Floor pan: A motor vehicle must be equipped with a floor pan under the entire passenger compartment capable of supporting the weight of the number of occupants that the vehicle is designed to carry.

(6) Bumpers: A motor vehicle must be equipped with a bumper on both the front and rear of the vehicle with the exception of motor vehicles where the original or predominant body configuration, provided by a recognized manufacturer, did not include such bumper or bumpers in the design of the vehicle. For the relevant model year, bumpers must accommodate recognized manufacturer impact absorption systems pursuant to applicable SAE Bumper Standards or equivalent standards.

I know alot of it doesnt apply but they specifically spell it out for us. It is all up to the interpertation of whether you are in compliance of these laws by the officer.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:24 PM

called state patrol few month back asking the same question, if the vehicle wasnt designed from the manufacture for the doors to be removable like jeeps, they must be on the vehicle for it to be street legel
Old 06-13-2013, 08:54 PM

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?Cite=46

I didnt see anything in here about the actual construction of the doors. Maybe this is the wrong spot?
Old 06-01-2015, 02:59 PM
Banned

Got clarification on this from Chief Batista, head of the Washington State Patrol. If a vehicle came equipped with doors it must have them on the vehicle in its stock configuration.

Also... if you're in a collision and you, or your passengers are injured your insurance may deny coverage. They'll claim you "unlawfully modified" your vehicle and they are therefore not liable for damages or medical injuries.

Same with lifted suspension. They've weseled out of paying out for rollovers, and damages more than you'd believe.

So... any other questions from 2013 you have, I got this. Lol