Washington Washington Chapter

thoughts on stickers

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 07:51 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It sounds like you guys like the general color scheme. Without putting anything state-specific on it, anybody can use it regardless of what state they're from. I'll try to work in the web site tonight, and post the updated version.
Old 09-16-2003, 09:40 AM

what size are we looking at here? are we still going with the TRD decal sized ones? or what?
Old 09-16-2003, 11:36 AM
Contributing Member

Well, thats an issue I'm working on. Problem is the image I got off the web looks fine small, but if you blow it up, starts becoming sort of pixelated. I've had to go in a smooth things up so that it'll look good when enlarged. I have a laser printer at work, so what I might do with the final version is print it on a transparency, cut it out, and tape it to my vehicle. I'll post pics so you can see what it looks like in different sizes, and we'll go from there.
Old 09-16-2003, 11:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Mad Chemist
Well, thats an issue I'm working on. Problem is the image I got off the web looks fine small, but if you blow it up, starts becoming sort of pixelated.
Photoshop can sometimes do wonders if you first let it resample the image at 300dpi with bilinear interpolation. I've had good luck with that before... A quick test of the image that's posted in this thread showed usable results.

Wanna me to send it to ya'? Or, send me what you got and I can play with it and send it back to ya'...
Old 09-16-2003, 12:11 PM
Contributing Member

Bilinear interpolation, ooh baby, I love it when you talk dirty to me..

Mark, I'll send you the .PSD file when I get home, unless I figure out how to do it myself.
Old 09-16-2003, 01:02 PM

hahahahahaha crazy kids!!!

oh yeah another thought is that if most people are going to be putting them on they're windows it would probably be a better idea to have a different showdow color other than black because you really wouldn't be able to see it. maybe a light grey or something?
Old 09-16-2003, 03:14 PM

Bilinear interpolation, ooh baby, I love it when you talk dirty to me..
I thought that _YOU'D_ like that one!

Mark, I'll send you the .PSD file when I get home, unless I figure out how to do it myself.
Ahh, you DO have Photoshop, I thought you did!

It's real easy...
  • Open up the image, then right click on the title bar of the window that the image is in (i.e., not the main window).
  • Click on "Image Size"
  • Down in the "Resolution" window, change that to 300 PPI
  • Hit the drop box next to "resample image" and set that to "Bilinear".
  • Click OK
The image will get REAL big on screen, but that's because you've more than quadrupled the number of pixels in the image. Right click on the title bar again, then "image size" and note that the _Print Size_ of the image is the same as it was.

Try printing it out again and you should be a lot happier with the results!
Old 09-16-2003, 07:51 PM

OFF THE TOPIC Q.

HEY MARK, WHAT SIZE WAS YOUR TIRE THAT YOU GOT COUPLE MONTHS AGO? WAS IT 265/75/16?
Old 09-16-2003, 08:00 PM

Originally posted by 2001Millrunner
OFF THE TOPIC Q.

HEY MARK, WHAT SIZE WAS YOUR TIRE THAT YOU GOT COUPLE MONTHS AGO? WAS IT 265/75/16?
Yeup!

And it was these tires:
http://www.lesschwab.com/tires/light_suv/mt_sxt.html

And the only issue I have running on stock suspension is that my aftermarket mudflaps tend to catch in reverse. I think the total tab was $731 with tax and mounting.
Old 09-16-2003, 08:57 PM

im thinking about going same size either BFG AT or REVOs i think they're gonna cost me around $800, and do you have a hard time figuring out what speed ur going at? any sideeffects?
Old 09-17-2003, 06:33 AM

Speed wise, I'm actually more accurate than I was. The tires I replaced were 255/70/16's, which were sold to me about 3 years ago as "the right tires for your truck". I knew MUCH less then than I know now!

Side effects on these specific tires, nope, not a one. Some people complain about road noise with more agressive tires, but I honestly don't hear these (even with the tunes turned down!). FunRunner has these tires as well, and I know that she likes them a lot.

The BFG AT's seem to be real popular, I think you'll like 'em! I dunno much about the Revo's.
Old 09-17-2003, 06:35 AM

your limited did come with a 16inch rims right?

after bashing my brain...

nevermind on this question im not thinking........but i dont know what you mean by speedwise it's correct when you went wider and taller(75s) wouldnt ur speedometer be off?

Last edited by 2001Millrunner; 09-17-2003 at 06:39 AM.
Old 09-17-2003, 06:38 AM

Yeup... And once I noticed another stock 4Runner sitting next to me, I realized how much air space I had in the wheel wells.

Old 09-17-2003, 06:40 AM

Im just mainly concerned about the rubbing factor and speedo being off
Old 09-17-2003, 06:55 AM

With 265/75/16's you'll be at the max you can be on stock suspension.

Spedo wise, I think you may end up tracking a little "safe", so when it says 60mph, you're really doing 57. The error is logrithmic though, it's not always 3mph.

I'll be out and about this afternoon and I can check mine against my GPS.
Old 09-17-2003, 07:02 AM

I've heard that you can get this recalibrated at dealer...this might not be true...ne ways no biggie, i am getting new tires soon. I am going on a roadtrip with my GF for a week that'd require me to drive about 2000-2500mi. dont know if i should roll on my stocks(which has bout 35% tread left on it) until i come back. just dont know which kind...i'm leaning towards BFG ATs but my evil side tells me BFG MTs probably not.
Old 09-17-2003, 07:51 AM
Contributing Member

Actually, its the other way around. Think about it- you've got a taller tire, which means that the diameter is bigger, and so is the circumference. So, for a single rotation, the taller tire is going to travel more distance than the shorter tire. You are therefore going to be traveling faster than your speedometer reads, since your speedo is calibrated to the distance traveled per rotation of the stock tire.

For my 285's, at around 66 mph, I'm actually traveling closer to 70. If you do a search, you'll find a post of mine for a website that allows you to put in your stock tire size and the one you want to upgrade to, and it will calculate the error in your speedo readings.

EDIT: just found it:

http://www.csgnetwork.com/lttrucktireinfocalc.html

Ray,

I have a set of AT Revos on my stock rims, and I love them, as most people can attest to, they have great wet traction, which is perfect for Seattle. I just swapped them back on for a 4500 mile road trip to Alaska, and they kicked A$$! The BFG AT's seem to have a slightly more aggressive tread, but my Revos held up pretty well until I got my MT's.

Last edited by Mad Chemist; 09-17-2003 at 07:57 AM.
Old 09-17-2003, 03:08 PM

Okay... two things for ya' Ray!

1. I checked my spedometer against my GPS and they are dead-on to one-another. I can't explain it really, 'cause David's explanation makes more sense. But, I'm accurate at 30, 40, 60 and 70mph.

I know that with the smaller tires the spedo was reading faster than the GPS. So, there is a difference with the larger tires, though my net result of the spedo matching the GPS could be an error in how a GPS computes speed.

2. When you get your new tires, be SURE to get them sipped. This is the first set that I've had sipped and I'm VERY sold on the concept now. With the rain that we've had around in the last couple of days, I'm really impressed at how well these tires stick to the road.

Have Fun!
Old 09-17-2003, 03:09 PM

Dude... Did you get this to work for you?
Old 09-17-2003, 03:56 PM
Contributing Member

Honestly haven't tried yet, will probably get to it tomorrow night, but did look at photoshop real quick and the directions you gave made sense.

I think your observations about the tires make sense- with smaller tires, your speedo would be faster than your GPS speed, with bigger tires, your speedo will be slower than your GPS speed. Since you have 265/75's, it may not be enough of a difference between the stock tire to add up to much. The "75" is the aspect ratio, if I remember correctly. You've stayed with the same width, and the height has increased marginally. My 285's seem close to 2 inches taller than stock, and are obviously wider as well. It also seems to depend alot on the manufacturer and how they measure the tires. Anyways, its all a bunch of details.

Last edited by Mad Chemist; 09-17-2003 at 04:05 PM.

Quick Reply: thoughts on stickers