Washington Washington Chapter

Southwest Washington

Old 02-16-2010, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Southwest Washington

I am doing my senior project in high school on illegal four wheeling in the larch mountain, washougal area, trying to get legal trails made (we can dream right?) But if you have anything to say on the topic please contact me
Old 03-15-2010, 06:32 AM

That seems like a really cool project these kind of things are all about talking to the right kind of people city officals and what not. you may want to start by seeing how others got no state or county trails approved for biking, hiking or quad trials. Knowing how green of a state we are its probable a long shot but still could be a fun project. thats just my 2 cents on it.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:27 PM

Actually, i got a call from a DNR official on last friday night, and it was a hell of a wake up call. He was the nicest guy i could ever ask to talk to and it made me feel like a real a**hole. I always felt like it was DNR turning us down and making it so we couldn't wheel but he made me realize we are doing it to ourselves by illegally wheeling. We can make it happen if we do it the right way. It's really only a matter of time and paperwork at this point. Thank you for the feedback i appreciate it.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:56 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I've found an illegal trail or two, not just cut off trails or by-passes. The illegal ones were well cared for and treesavers were used for winching. The trails were tucked behind obsticles that the novice wouldn't venture past, I won't have just the ppl we were with were much more experienced wheelers.

With legal trails any tom, dick, or harry has access to them. There will always be a portion of the wheelers on public land that refuse to "tread lightly." But then again there will be a portion of illegal wheelers who simple tear things up because they can.

I think "tread lightly" is the key to sustainment of our hobby.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:51 PM

I agree 100%, i know a few people that tear it up just to tear it up. I would really like to see some legal trails though. I think it would get our community much more involved in caring for larch, and taking care of the people that do vandalize the property. Honestly i think there needs to be more definition on what is legal and whats not because back like on some of the stuff up backside of silverstar it seems legal but you can never tell for sure.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:34 PM

There has been big progress on the legal side of pushing for a trail system in larch. Tho there has been a recent snag. All looks well and should continue to be able to push forward. Pistonswild have done a great job turning this dream into a reality.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:50 PM

It all comes down to weather people respect the area or not. Reiter was shut down because a bunch of d-bags and tweakers were dumping piles of trash and driving junk cars out there, pumping a couple thousand rounds into them, then setting them on fire. If I was in charge of that place I would've shut it down too. And people going there now and wheeling illegally is only making it worse. I would love for them to reopen Reiter since it's nice and close to me, but peoples actions have kept/are keeping those in charge from letting us have that place to play at. So Tread Lightly and respect the areas we have left so we can continue enjoying them and, with a little luck, maybe get some new spots too. That's my $0.02 for the day.