Washington Washington Chapter

79 hilux msd 5520 anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
79 hilux msd 5520 anyone?

Hey there, I'm new to the forum and hilux in general. I just traded my corona for this 79 and I love it. Just the other day I started having issues with starting. Actually one day it just died outta the blue. I changed the coil because I was getting no spark. That didn't work. So I then bought a msd 5520 igniter because oems are so much more money. I got the truck running and it sounded great, took it to get gas and romp a lil to make sure it was savy to drive home from a friends house where it broke down. After starting the truck back up it died only half a mile of driving. Turned around and barely made It back. It then started to die at idle every 3-5 mins. And I'd have to change the 12v source to another location and she'd start right up. After so many times it now just won't even turn on. Msd is giving me warranty but I'd like to see if I can see someone's install before I try again. I'm near positive it's not my fault but....
Old 01-18-2014, 08:52 PM

As a general rule, any used vehicle anyone buys, should get, at least, new fluids, plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. Sounds like your problem may be more than the ignition, but it,s not a bad idea to replace those parts anyways because they're pretty inexpensive. I would also pull the carburetor, clean the crap out of it, and make sure the jetting is right since it may not have had any maintenance in the last 20+ years.

Also, you might try posting this in the tech section so more people see it, you'll probably get more (and better, more informed) responses.

And welcome to YotaTech
Old 01-19-2014, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by B-Fake
As a general rule, any used vehicle anyone buys, should get, at least, new fluids, plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. Sounds like your problem may be more than the ignition, but it,s not a bad idea to replace those parts anyways because they're pretty inexpensive. I would also pull the carburetor, clean the crap out of it, and make sure the jetting is right since it may not have had any maintenance in the last 20+ years.

Also, you might try posting this in the tech section so more people see it, you'll probably get more (and better, more informed) responses.

And welcome to YotaTech
Ive owned my fair of vehicles, actually 32 now. So I know what's up with normal stuff and what to look for etc. the truck ran great, just took a trip to Portland and back w no issues but a turn signal relay that I cleaned up and now works great. Some vehicles have specific things that others don't have or don't do so I was wondering if this gen had common gremlins involved w igniters. And was hoping I could see someone's install. I know it is only 7 wires but I wouldn't mind the assurdness of seeing someone else's.