California NorCal California NorCal Chapter

Need to rant - CAT stolen off my rig

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 09:08 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Need to rant - CAT stolen off my rig

Those gosh darn poopy headed thieving bad people stole the damn CAT off my rig this week

Drove the truck last on Tuesday, so some time in the past 3 days or so is when it went down. Truck was parked in driveway right in front of my bedroom window and I didn't hear anything (but they could have done it in the daytime too since Cruiser is parked so close it'd provide good cover). Come to think of it, could have even happened the same night those dudes got shot up in their car the other night in front of Toys R Us, which is like 0.3 miles from my home -- I definitely heard it and it was definitely an automatic rifle of some sort.

Sure, they could have just unbolted the thing, or taken just the CAT, but NO - they had to cut off the flanges on both ends and everything in between, including the 02 sensor, Gummy bears!!! Cut was not with a sawzall or typical pipe cutter that I know of, the cut lines didn't line up so I'm thinking some type of cutter similar to lopping shears for landscaping. Because they took the hangers, the rest of the system was hanging off the rear o2 sensor, so probably have to replace that one too!

Name:  72C2457E-9977-4AF7-837F-F6B78DBF35C1-10548-00000F6866547385_zps5a8f52b6.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  184.6 KB

All I wanted to do was go to Home Depot to buy some materials to finish some projects for my pregnant wife, who's due in like 10 days. Now I get to spend money on replacing basically my whole exhaust system from the header back, plus o2 sensors, plus o2 sensor wiring harness. I'm pissed to say the least and I hope these bastards get curbed by the guy who catches them in action.

Anyways, I know I don't want to go back to stock if I'm buying parts, so that's even more money! Was thinking Dave'z Offroad for a complete exhaust since I know they used to have a CA-smog legal full kit for like $400, plus o2 sensors....just wasn't planning to drop over $500 on my truck right now since I've got diapers to buy now

Anyone got any feedback regarding driving around with basically an open header and no front 02 sensor on a 22re? I'm thinking Placerville might be too far to drive like this from Citrus Hts.

Last edited by highonpottery; 05-24-2013 at 01:48 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That sucks man and I definitely know that frustration, mine was cut off while parked at my parent's place in Orangevale a couple years back.

As far as a fix, I drove it the 2 miles down Greenback to Marco Muffler around 8 am on weekday in pretty much the exact same condition as yours (except they left me a hanger); it was as loud as could be but wasn't an issue. I had them install a new cat (I think it was a magnaflow, but I'm not sure) and it was only $380 or something like that (for a 91 3.0 cat), but I had had the muffler replaced a few years before that.

If you have comprehensive insurance, that should be covered, or at least it was for me.

Good luck.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:22 PM

thanks. no coverage for this type of repair. i'll be paying out of pocket on this one. i could go down the road to an exhaust shop, but for the price it only makes sense to upgrade the whole thing for the same price....if Davez will ever answer the phone - I think everyone's at Cantina for the Con this weekend.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:32 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm running a 2.5 inch system with magnaflow performance Cat and muffler... the Cat is around $70 cdn [priced one out a few weeks back] and the muff about the same I think...
hope the pregnancy is going well... good luck..
Old 05-30-2013, 08:54 AM

thanks. i called up the smog shop i usually go to and they said CA law says we can no longer use just any universal 50-state CATs and that they have to be specific to the vehicle or some baloney like that.....so looks like i'm going to just have to go to a shop and get something fabbed up.

a few years ago i'd read something that said the stock exhaust manifold is actually quite efficient on its own since it is a 4-2-1 (tri-y) design and that the choke point is where things reduce at the stock CAT since the Y-downpipe is actually like 2" whereas the CAT-back is 1.75". My plan is to have the shop go 2" with the downpipe to keep some back pressure but then open everything up from there with a 2-2.25" CAT followed by a 2.25" pipe with some sort of hi-flow muffler that's not too loud or ricey. Shop said just the CAT is like $275 and they could most likely get everything done for around $500. not too bad, just need to get my new o2 sensors in before they can do anything.

pregnancy going well - probably going to be popping out on Monday!