Notices
Customer Feedback For Vendors Use this forum for feedback good or bad on vendor's & dealer's you have dealt with

Rocky Road Outfitters

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rocky Road Outfitters

My experience started off Dec. 07 when I first ordered a set of old man emu Dakar leaf springs from Rocky Road Outfitters. I spoke to a customer service rep. who wasn't very helpful to me but, made it seem as though he knew what he was doing by asking measurements for the length of the springs. I measured them with a tape measure and got around 43''. He then told me that I would need the longer 47" leafs. Me being a young novelist of the off road world accepted his older and what seemed wiser judgment. I assumed that the longer length is what would give me a 2'' over stock lift.

After receiving my springs over 1 month later than they originally were supposed to arrive I started the tear down and removal of the old worn out rear leafs. I started placing the bushings in the eyelets of the new springs and there arose my first problem... the bushings didn't fit. I contacted RRO with this problem and they sent me the omesb43 kit in place of the omesb6 kit they had shipped with the springs. I had to complain to them that it was not my screw up and that they should pay shipping for their mistake. I received the replacement kit and started putting these bushings in and they fit the springs but, the springs did not fit the truck! After calling RRO and getting no help, I contacted ARB about my problem and they sent me to Nills in their tech dept. He confirmed my fears that I had the wrong springs. I confronted RRO with this information and they seemed to accept responsibility. My understanding was that they would pay for shipping of the old springs back to them and the new (correct) ones to me. Obviously I was wrong, because when I called them back they played it off like I was suppossed to pay shipping one way and they would pay the other. To me this is a little ridiculous since I had recently forked out $464.12 for these (incorrect) springs.

After repeated attempts to try to get them to work with me I lost it and told them how ridiculous this whole thing was and how the lack of customer service sucked. They then said that they would pay for half of it and we'll call it even. That really got me going considering how much patience I had had before. I ended up telling them that I was going to refuse the charge on my credit card and they could deal with the credit card company. This was after them giving me the option to send them back at their expence but I would have to pay the 15% restocking fee.

So for me this was a bad experience with an off road company that has a lack of customer service and knowledge in the 4x4 world. I really think that companies like this put a bad image on good manufacturers like ARB because their screw ups come back to the manufacturer.
I really have had a great experience with ARB the whole time dealing with this problem and Nills got me straightened out and was there to share his personal knowledge and experience to try to help me out of this ordeal.

I wanted to make sure that anyone else doing business with this company would know of my poor experience first. As I have learned after years in the landscape business the customer is number one and if they are not happy then no one will be.

I hope this helps to prevent another case of this kind and if anyone has any questions or concerns then they can E Mail me or call me on my cell.
Thanks go to Nills at ARB for helping out, man I really appreciate it.
Clint

Last edited by aviator; 02-06-2008 at 08:15 AM.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gotta disagree

I've emailed a few of stores for info on parts I was looking for. Only one store took the time to reply, Rocky Road. I actually got clear answers from the owner. He really took the time to help me understand my 4runner and all the parts I was looking for. And I'm really impressed he actually owns and drives a Toyota.

It was actually a Jeep buddy that turned me onto Rocky Road. He had a great experience with all his parts he had ordered from them. So with their great customer service responses and recommendations from friends, I gave them a shot.

The super rock sliders I ordered came in about a week which was exactly as I was told. They told me they are built to order which is cool with me. Best fitting part I've ever put on anything I've ever owned. Top notch quality.

The lift I ordered also came pretty quick. Maybe they hit a rough patch with the other poster's comments, but these guys really have been the best in my experience. Don't let one guy's (maybe) bad experience sway you. Rocky Road is definitely a great place to shop.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:07 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
I know this thread is old, but has me worried....I got a similar message of 'backordered', and I'm sorry, but I want to get on with my build. Anyone else want to revive this thread? lol.

HELP, I ordered on the 8th of Jan, 2010, and I want to cancel.... should I have a problem? I want to be sure to not be charged ANY FEES, whatsoever. ....anyone have any experience with dealing with them?

Thanks,

mark
Old 01-18-2011, 01:16 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
so here is my advice: mr big willy joined this forum on Jan 19th 2009, made the post above saying what he said and hasn't been back. I would take what he said with a grain of salt...one post wonders are not always that credible.

that being said, you ordered yours over a year ago or was that a typo? if it is over a year you are out of luck IMO

call rocky road and deal with them directly 435-654-1149 ...get the run around than work with paypal or your credit card company

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
I know this thread is old, but has me worried....I got a similar message of 'backordered', and I'm sorry, but I want to get on with my build. Anyone else want to revive this thread? lol.

HELP, I ordered on the 8th of Jan, 2010, and I want to cancel.... should I have a problem? I want to be sure to not be charged ANY FEES, whatsoever. ....anyone have any experience with dealing with them?

Thanks,

mark
Old 01-18-2011, 01:21 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
sub'd as this is the place I was considering getting mine since the prices there are the best out there for these spring. I think I am the one who keeps posting links to their site too. I wanna know what happens so I can remove all references to them if I need to.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:26 PM

Hey Robb, thanks, man....Edit;(I did since call, sorry for not mentioning that, before).

As I said on my build thread, I"M NOT trying to blindly, maliciously destroy possible business for them..... and I didn't add the links I'd found to this thread, because I wanted some feedback. However, I'm SHOCKED at the seemingly countless posts of anger regarding customer service from them, from multiple different sites, just in 10 minutes.

Personally, I feel stupid for not having researched further, before purchasing.... I probably would have avoided them, just for personal reasons(I NEED to get this done, quicker than that).

However, when I called, I felt a lil put off by the "Yeahhhhh, that's not in stock, will be at least 3 weeks on back order". And, as many had said, "with no 'sorry' or 'our bad' ", just "that's the deal"... I'm sorry, but if that's the only place I KNOW I can get a proper length shock and stabilizer for my 2" lift up front, and OME or ARB or whomever are actually backordered 3 weeks? I might as well go with Bilstein or Procomp or something.(Again, personal choice, .....if THEY ARE, IN FACT, back ordered 3 weeks from OME factory or whatever, ...then that's my deal). However, again, ..... IT SHOULD SAY THAT, when I order them. ALMOST EVERY site I've dealt with, Robb, has said, "Not in stock", then explained how long it usually is before they'll have the, etc.

Not asking for anyone to think for me, ....promise. I just feel put off and am wanting to start over, I suppose.

Mark

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 01-18-2011 at 01:27 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:30 PM

PS> I DO NOT agree with that type of slander, which I read above.... and I understand, pertaining to your point about "how many posts, etc." Could very well just be a disgruntled guy or jaded girlfriend with a mean boyfriend, ...lol... I couldn't possibly know. BTW, Jim, from Downey, was a great guy, every time I'd dealt with him in my life,...yet he was slandered, maliciously, countless times. HOWEVER, I just didn't ever see things like I'm seeing on RRO throughout Google and Jeep and Other forums. That said, even if he cursed at me, ...I wouldn't call him names, etc. Just not my style, and it takes away from the complaining persons validity in point.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
sub'd as this is the place I was considering getting mine since the prices there are the best out there for these spring. I think I am the one who keeps posting links to their site too. I wanna know what happens so I can remove all references to them if I need to.

I would suggest calling, then getting a guarantee in an email as to when they'll be there, B! Just saying, ....Because, well, to be honest, I, personally, was just told, "ahhhh, it's been 10 days? Yeah, we're backordered 3 more weeks, at least, till we get them". I'm NOT SAYING that's not true, B, Robb,.... Just that it seems to be a VERY common complaint of them on MANY sites, and really??????? Back Ordered, once again, from Australia? OME is NOT a tiny place, and I can't say I KNOW this can't be true, ..so I guess, time will tell. Yet, just seems odd to me, the commentary from ARB and Glenn, ...yet no rebuttal, like most vendors do at such slander?

Oh well, live and learn. I, personally, think I might be best served starting over with another shock or vendor. FIRST, however, I will find out if OME is actually back ordered.(Or maybe they're all made or sold through ARB?).... Lil confused at this point.

PS> I KNOW, B! lol..... more talk of shocks on my build? hahahaha. Oh well, like I said, I wanna do it right, ONCE! I hope I'm not hated on for that. Mine lasted 24 years and maintained it's good running record and cleanliness for a reason, ya know? lol.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:41 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
I just googled " Rocky Road outfitter complaints" and you are correct, a ton of similar issues show up. Just when someone joins, says company 'x' sucks and then doesn't come back, well you know...

Good luck on this one...
Old 01-18-2011, 02:04 PM

just to clarify these guys right? http://www.rocky-road.com/omesprings.html
Old 01-18-2011, 03:43 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
One post bashers get the per the posted rules.

Posts deleted.

:wabbit2:
Old 01-22-2011, 11:15 AM

Well, just to update and clarify(since I was speaking of my experience), .............;

I spoke to Rocky Road again and they explained that they order from ARB when they have a large enough order(I think it's every couple weeks or so).... which explains, most likely, why my OME shocks wouldn't get to me until 5 Weeks or so from time of order. I spoke to Jim, the President of ARB again and he said, "We have them in stock right now... just ask Rocky Road if they'll Drop Shipment and we'll ship em out right off the bat tomorrow". I asked Rocky Road if and how they might be able to do so, and within an hour, the Desk guy there had resolved my wishes to have them sooner by dropping/bumping shipment to ARB.

I'm not trying to denounce anyone's issues with Rocky Road, or say they are or aren't real, lol... You know what I mean. Just saying, personally, that they handled my issue fairly quickly and without any drama...... and I will have my OME 60072 Shocks and OMESD33 Steer Damper by Wednesday. WOOT! lol.

Gotta say, I can't say enough about Jim or the staff at ARB, as well. GREAT customer service and VERY accommodating. Once they knew I needed help, they walked me through to a solution right away and not to mention, answered my emails, every time, within 20 minutes. GREAT guys(and gals, lol).

ONE MORE THING>..... Wabbit, from WABFAB? ALSO a great guy, who not only has always answered my questions, but also, without fail, has always tried to provide me with a solution and/or alternative..... And this time was no different, as I needed help and he offered an alternative in case I needed it. THANKS, MR.:wabbit2: You da'man! lol
Old 01-22-2011, 11:22 AM

Good thing to know, I will ask them to drop ship for me if/when I order my springs. I wonder why they don't just do that anyway. I don't see these things being ordered all that often. Maybe to save on shipping and/or bulk ordering parts from ARB at the customers waiting expense, but since they are basically being charged shipping twice I don't see it saving them all that much if any.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:32 AM

Hey B,

Well, I think, yes, to order 2K pounds of crap instead of 20 pounds, maybe? lol... not sure, and like I said, I understand, ...but yeah, at my expense, especially of time. I don't think it cost them more on this one... Dropping shipment cost ME, not them, lol. 10$ more, but well worth it IMHO. The ONLY way to do anything with them is to CALL! Unless, of course, you're not doing the project for several weeks, etc. If you have a deadline? CALL! it says, right in their disclaimer, in effect, "Rocky Road does NOT guarantee shipping dates, etc., etc., etc.,"... because, most likely, the products are either backordered or they just don't wanna order my one thing from ARB, ...maybe? If you call, then you can get a MUCH MORE definitive answer as to 'when', ya know? ESPECIALLY, I would think, if you don't order until they call you back and give you a GOOD, solid, guaranteed ESTIMATE, at least, yeah? They never were in shipment from ARB to Rocky Road(probably cuz they hadn't placed their bigger order with ARB yet), so it didn't cost them(RRO) anything in shipping, ya know? The 10$, I'm sure, is for all their backtracking and changing the order through PAYPAL, etc. I understand that, and I should have read the fine print better, or, as I suggested..... CALLED THEM, and spoken to someone, PERIOD! lol.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another Unsatisfied customer here. Don't buy from these guys unless you can wait 4 weeks for coil springs. What a joke
Old 03-05-2011, 02:07 PM

Oh wait... I'm still waiting... Going on 6 weeks. Just had to give up my second appointment for getting my rear shocks installed. That cost me another $100 for canceling... So now I'm into these rear springs for almost $500. Seriously, don't do business with these jokers.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:10 PM

Have you tried contacting OME/ARB saying why is it taking so long for these guy to ship their springs out to ya? I would. Because it gives ARB/OME a bad name as well, if the excuse they are giving you is that they are waiting for the springs to be shipped to them to send to ya.

Tell then it's cost you $200 in cancellation fees for appointments due to delayed springs. They might hook ya up.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:12 PM

You could have most likely mined the oar, milled them down and machined some straps(of course, having taken a coarse in all three forums), then installed them, YOURSELF, in that time, eh? hahaha. Geeesh, sorry to hear, man! But 100$ for canceling???? That seems, well, crazy to be honest. Don't they want your biz? Maybe I'm misunderstanding what's going on with your install deal, etc., ...Sorry nonetheless bud, that stinks!
Old 03-05-2011, 02:14 PM

Hey Brandon, ZUUUUUUUUUP? Lol.... Anyway, I was also gonna say, .....CALL ARB! I think I explained, above, what I did, ....and they HOOKED A BRUVA UP! lol. Maybe cuz of price, ARB doesn't have a lot of vendors who want to purvey their stuff? Not sure, but ARB is GREAT with Customer Service.... You email them, today, you'll GET an answer, no doubt, very soon!
Old 03-05-2011, 03:03 PM

Yeah, $100... To get a foot in the door at this fab shop usually takes over 6 months. That's if you just want a "day" project. If you want something like a total chaos kit, full custom cage, etc. You're looking at over a year, and a $2K deposit. (How do I know? I'm on that list for my race truck I'm building.) They are the single best place anywhere in Alaska. So, when you don't have the parts, that you need, and you cancel.... you get the point.