Notices
Customer Feedback For Vendors Use this forum for feedback good or bad on vendor's & dealer's you have dealt with

Oregon Engine Rebuilders

Old 04-01-2010, 09:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Pirate - any update on this?
Old 04-27-2010, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Panthra
Well I hope they take care of you. I live in Portland area and I am thinking about buying a 22RE from them. I just lost another timing chain, (this one only had 75k on it but the whole motor has 235k on it) only this time it took out a couple valves when it broke. So I am gonna just put in a rebuild vs. fixing this one again. Hopefully it will be sound and not a piece of scrap. Their price is right, and the warranty sounds almost too good to be true. So I think I'm gonna go for it.
-P
Originally Posted by Philbert
Pirate - any update on this?
Well I was able to convince them to pay for shipping both ways and they also sent out a new set of gaskets so great service there. It took about 2 weeks to get my engine back, good there. Got my engine installed today, go to start it and the timing chain jumped several teeth. Needless to say I'm waaaaaaaaay pissed off now. I would think they would take the time to make sure everything is right before they shipped the engine given the fact that I already had to pull it once.

I will be calling them in the morning to discuss and will keep you guys posted.

Last edited by PirateMcgee; 04-27-2010 at 08:22 PM.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:38 PM

SO the motor definately jumped several teeth due to too much slack in the timing chain (they installed). I pulled the cam gear and got everything to TDC but it runs like crap.

Last edited by PirateMcgee; 05-01-2010 at 03:29 PM.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hope my luck isn't this bad - and I'm over on the east coast, shipping is an arm and a leg...
I ordered a 3VZ-E Super Stock from them about a week and a half ago - and they said they were backed up about 2 weeks. They have till this coming wednesday to ship, or I'm asking for a refund and I'm rebuilding myself.
Old 05-01-2010, 03:28 PM

well something is wrong.........compression test =
#1 - 125
#2 - 0
#3- 75
#4- 125

I would rebuild yourself if you can or check local........
Old 05-01-2010, 06:04 PM

Wow - either the timing is WAY off, or that motor is shot. Most likely the latter.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:00 AM

motor is shot all the valves and pistons are heavily damaged by looking with a bore scope.

looks like the motor will be going back again......

I'm going to ask for a new motor though because this is ridiculous
Old 05-02-2010, 07:11 AM

I have a 22r engine from them its great and this warrenty is true they send u with the warranty slip and you mail it back once uve installed the engine and check off about 20 things they want you too do they guys are pretty rude and dont like people from the experience i had when i went and picked mine up but it was cheap good quality and local
Old 05-02-2010, 08:31 PM

My Oregon Engine Rebuilders experience

Ok so I've got too much going on in my other threads so I'm trying to consolidate it all into one so people can understand the full story and make it easier on future searchers:

Ok so I'll start from the top:

Last year I hydrolocked my 86 4runner in a stupid move that ulitmately led to a rod through both sides of the block and the starter. This happend in Dec. on my way home to Klamath from Medford after christmas break of 2008. Long story short I had to replace the engine at my girlfriends parents house 80 miles away from my house in Klamath. This led to deciding to get a long block. After much research I went with a company call Oregon Engine Rebuilders in Sandy OR. I ordered their "super stock" 22re that comes with a new casting high flow head, OS intake/exhaust valves, new pistons, new rockers, etc etc and some RV style cam. This was a cost of about $500 over the price of a standard rebuilt motor but it was worth it too me to get a new head and a little better power. Well I placed the order and recieved the engine within a couple of weeks with a full gasket set and assembled as a long block with the timing components installed.

So I got the engine installed and everything was great. It ran great and drove great, the extra power was nice and I was pulling decent gas mileage from about 18-22mpg. All was great for about 9 thousand miles and just over a year.

At that point one day when getting ready to leave school (OIT) I start the 4runner up and drive maybe 25 yards when suddenly the engine starts making a horrid noise like a valve tick from hell or a rod knock. So I instantly shut off the engine and coast to a stop. Well long story short I pull the engine (that I just put in 9k miles ago) and discover the #4 intake valve bushing/seat fell out of the head and broke apart. Some of the valve seat got into the combustion chamber and proceeded to get slammed around by the piston into the cylinder head.

Here are pics of the damage:

Old 05-02-2010, 08:32 PM

Notice how deep the gashes are in the head..........compare to below
Old 05-02-2010, 08:33 PM

At this point I am annoyed that the motor failed at such low mileage but understand that mistakes happen and mechanical failure happens. So I contact OER and per their lifetime warranty they offer to fix the engine but want me to pay for round trip shipping
($220). Well I don't have much money and explained to them why I did not deserve to pay for shipping when the damage was no fault of mine and the mileage was so low. So they do the right thing and pay for shipping round trip plus give me a set of new gaskets. 2 weeks later I get my engine back (as an assembled long block with timing components installed). At this point I was very satisfied with their service and response time.

So I get all the stuff transferred to the new engine, get it all installed properly etc etc. So I prime the oil pump by hand, make sure that oil is getting to the cam, turn the engine over by hand a few times, adjust the valves, and go to start it. CLUNK CLUNK and then it turned over fine but did not start. So I though weird whats going on. Run through everthing and it all looks good so i set the engine to TDC by looking at the #1 piston and putting the balancer at zero and pull the dist cap. It's not pointing at #1 so I take it out and put it in to #1 hook it all back up and go to start it. It will not start.....

Well now I get suspicous so I pull the valve cover and put the cam to TDC......look down at the balancer and it's pointed at 3 O'clock. Not good. So I pull the balancer and confirm that the balancer has not slipped and wait until morning and call OER. I tell them that it appears the timing chain jumped several teeth and whats going on. They do not believe me but after 20min of chatting with them they agree that the timing chain must have jumped. So I set the cam to TDC and pull the timing sprocket on the cam. Then rotated the crank to TDC and reinstalled everything. Go to crank it...........starts first shot but runs kinda bad. I adjust the timing, let the motor warm up, turn it off, adjust the valves, change the oil etc and start it again. Still runs crappy.....like it's running on 3 cyl. so I pull each spark plug wire 1 at a time. On number 2 it makes no difference how the motor runs.......weird. So I check for spark and all is good. Then I check compression:
#1 - 125
#2 - 0
#3- 75
#4 - 125

Last edited by PirateMcgee; 02-28-2011 at 09:28 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:33 PM

So that's where it stands as of now........not really happy finding that they did not replace the piston or the head from when the valve seat fell out.

My couple of hypothesis:

1- they machined too much off the head and did not use a oversized head gasket

2- the timing chain was not in spec

We'll see where they want to go from here.........
Old 05-04-2010, 08:37 AM

I must say though that they are very responsive when I call them and are taking care of stuff again. Honestly from all the good reviews I've read/heard I think I got a bad apple or a lemon out of the bunch. Unfortunately it happens.....
Old 05-06-2010, 08:06 AM

I try not to get too mad about stuff since it doesn't help the situation any.......and it's not like this isn't hurting them too. They are paying for shipping again.....have to tear down the motor again......etc etc. It's inconvient for both of us. As long as I have it back up and running by beginning of June (need it for my summer internship) I'll be happy.

I'll be keeping it for at least a couple more years........but I eventually want a 3rd gen or this one will be getting a 1uzfe and long travel ifs

Last edited by PirateMcgee; 05-06-2010 at 08:08 AM.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:49 PM

Well I've got a motor otw from Oregon Engines, i'll update yall on how it goes.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:06 PM

Here's an update on my motor:

Motor has been back in for almost 5k miles and been running fine other than it burns oil (fairly slowly) but my 93 with 150k on the stock engine does not burn a drop. Overall I still feel like this motor will not last very long (I always wonder if it's just going to go bang every day) and I've been pretty disappointed with the quality of the engine build.

I have also had them flat out lie to me thinking that I have no idea what I'm talking about. The owner can be difficult to talk to and can come across as one of those people that treat you like you are there to serve them. If I had to do it again I would go with a local rebuilder or a D.O.A long block (actually I would do a 3rz or 7mge swap but.....). There are just way too many 22re rebuilders around and it's too simple of a motor to have issues like the one I've had. I have not read many poor reviews of OER so I made have just gotten a bad engine and your experience may vary. Although, my buddy also ordered a motor from them that had to be sent back (which took some convincing) before it was even started (but was fully installed) due to a cracked head that leaked coolant when simply filled with coolant.

Last edited by PirateMcgee; 12-13-2010 at 08:11 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:40 PM
Contributing Member

So I just got my 22re super stock installed and running smoothly. I had a 2 ½” inch exhaust installed to get the most out my new motor. It runs very well, but it still has the power of a 2400cc motor pushing an SUV which is to say that I don’t intend to win any races. I can’t say that it has much more power than a stock motor because I don’t have any way to make a good comparison, and I am not sure that it was worth the extra money for the super stock, but so far I am satisfied.
OEB was very good with customer support during installation. The motor came with the timing chain cover, rear seal, and oil pan not installed; so they won’t be on the hook for oil leaks.
Thoughts on the unlimited mile guarantee… Oil leaks are the customer’s responsibility, cooling is the customer’s responsibility, installation and removal is the customer’s responsibility, so how great is the warranty? Hopefully it makes everyone involved in the process conscientious, and I am confident that OEB used high quality parts which is the main reason that I chose to go with them.
The customer is responsible for the initial shipping cost; so a good local builder can save you some money there.
So far I am happy with my OEB experience and hopefully will get many good miles from my new motor.
PS
OEB recommended that I use the oil pan gasket that they provided even though all of the service manuals and a well-respected local Toyota mechanic recommend using the dealer sealing compound instead. Hopefully I will not eventually end up having to change the oil pan gasket.

Last edited by Buck87; 12-17-2010 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:30 AM

Hope it works out for you! Also the power will get a little better after 5k or so. The warranty is a bit of a PITA because you are responsible to pull the engine, strip it, and pay for round trip shipping. They have a ton of positive reviews online and they are helpful during the install/ordering process. The engine parts themselves are also good quality.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:36 PM

22r stock pistons mfg by dj rock

Hello to all you fellow Toyota Lovers on yota-tech! I just found your forum about 2 weeks ago while lookn for tech info, and i think its awesome! There is a wealth of info on here! Its great! Guess i'll explain how n why i found you guys. About 3 years ago i purchased a 22r "SUPER STOCK" supposed 135hp engine from Oregon Engine Rebuilders. Just under 5000 miles later i had to pull the head back off n take it down to john for repairs. The exhaust valve guide in #2 had fell out and was hangn by the keeper. He told me it was caused by detonation? no damage to the piston or cylinder. It was repaired and then i put it back together. A year and a half later which was a week before christmas this year, on my way to work it started to miss really bad. Turns out the piston in the #2 cylinder was split in half. Again when i called john at OER he said it was caused from detonation. So as we speak its in getting a new set of STOCK pistons 9.7:1 i think he said, not the KB Hyperutectic 10.5:1 pistons that were in it. He told me if i wanted KB put back in he'd charge me $200 and void my lifetime mileage warranty. This engine only has 11,472 miles on the rebuild! My question to anybody who might know, do stock toyota pistons mfg by dj rock contain silicon to help dissipate heat n friction like the KB pistons? Crazy question i know but thats what he told me! Just tryn to find out if i'm being told the truth. I think there's a guy in Northern CA thats a yota-tech member that went through a similar experience with the same company AND motor a few months ago! I totally feel yer pain man! Any comments or feedback would be GREATLY APPRECIATED! I'm just plain frustrated!
Old 01-21-2011, 07:28 AM

i just mailed mine back to john yesterday!!! same super stock... 45k but its been running poorly for a while... 2 pistons fractured at top ring end gap... see my thread in 86-95 pickup forum... we should chat...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oregon Engine Rebuilders