Notices
Customer Feedback For Vendors Use this forum for feedback good or bad on vendor's & dealer's you have dealt with

LC Engineering

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2003, 03:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LC Engineering

lol...anyone ever buy anything from LCEngineering as well? I'm looking at getting the 145+ ProStroker for $4k something...lol...not sure..but it looks enticing....nothing to do but bolt it in, hook it up, pour in some oil, turn the key and go....any comments?????
Old 03-23-2003, 04:58 AM
Contributing Member

I have never used LC but have heard..
LC has great parts, but they are overpriced. I'd like to get their header eventually.
There's a post on here somewhere about a guy with a complete LC motor and he thinks it was not worth it as it was unreliable for years, and he was always fixing it. Maybe it was the motor, or other, but because he had it so long there was no warrantee. Kinda long sad story. If you want a good engine you can get it cheaper @ DOA, but I assume LC will do the right thing for you.
Old 03-23-2003, 10:07 PM

My 3+yr old 35k miles LCEngineering motor and all sorts of other LC parts wrapped around it is currently sitting in my garage dead with my '85 4Runner wrapped around it. I started getting blowby on it after around 3,500 miles and when I called and asked the tech dept at LC about it, the guy at the time said, "Yeah, we have guys stuffing foam in their hoses to keep the oil from going up them..." Not exactly what I wanted to hear after spending around $4500 with them. There definitely was a problem with the install in that the mods require altering the MAS to adjust for the new fuel needs of the bigger pistons, higher lift cam, K&N filter charger and all. The guy that installed the motor had no clue and just in case I took it to a second garage after he did the install and had them go over it. In the end, the MAS was set up to run too rich and it didn't help matters at all. I finally just broke down and had Jet Chip upgrade the ECU to match the motor.
Eventually it got to the point it is in now, oil leaks out from between the head and the block in the front and the rear, and I seem to have exhaust in the cooling system even after having a the headgasket done as well as a valve job and surfacing and using a new LC headgasket. I have no clue what is going on now for sure, but the generally accepted theory is that the block is cracked. The motor never ran hot and was never overheated. So whether it was the product to begin with, the install or most likely a combination of both the end result was the same; I have to rebuild a $3500 motor after only 35,000 miles. Keeping in mind that the block is already at maximum overbore for the 94mm pistons, it means I basically get to replace the block and a whole bunch of the bottom end.
Adding to the pile, the clutch I got from them...the pressure plate snapped off two rivets around the fingers and took the clutch disk with it after about 30k.
I am not a hardcore offroader nor do I race my truck around hard so it isn't the result of taking a beating. Hell, I've hardly had it offroad at all since I have never felt exactly certain that the motor was going to hold together and get me home.
As for DOA, I will just say this. I have talked recently to two hardcore Toyota people that have purchased or been involved with motors from them. I might add that one of them owns a respected and reknowned business that deals pretty much solely in Toys and they have had this to say in their paraphrased words: "We got about 300 miles out of the last engine we got from DOA. When we took it apart the rings came out in about 60 pieces." Another said his buddy got a motor from them, put it in and it was running pretty badly so he had this other guy here pull it for him. When he cracked it open the complete bottom end wasn't only stock, but it hadn't even been cleaned. It was just an old motor that got a coat of paint. Keep in mind this is what these guys had to say and that I have had no experience with DOA whatsoever.
My personal advice based on my experience and hearsay? Don't deal with either LCEngineering or DOA. Things could have changed in the last few years for LC, but do you want to risk $4,000 to find out?
I'm going to take mine in soon and just have a local mechanic and machine shop rebuild the motor. I was going to dump it and get a 2nd gen for the 4 doors, but lately the mind set is, "I grew up going out in the hills riding in the back of Willy's Wagons with 2doors and no seatbelts so my kid can ride in a 2door with seatbelts "
If anybody knows of any outfits that make a good 22re with around 135hp and 94mm pistons I would like to know. I'm kind of stuck going back with what I had since I already spent almost $500 for the Jet Chip mod. That, or I need to find somebody that will do a 7m-ge or 3.4 conversion for the same price.
Old 03-24-2003, 04:11 AM

Originally posted by Fahrenheit 451
As for DOA, I will just say this. I have talked recently to two hardcore Toyota people that have purchased or been involved with motors from them. I might add that one of them owns a respected and reknowned business that deals pretty much solely in Toys and they have had this to say in their paraphrased words: "We got about 300 miles out of the last engine we got from DOA. When we took it apart the rings came out in about 60 pieces." Another said his buddy got a motor from them, put it in and it was running pretty badly so he had this other guy here pull it for him. When he cracked it open the complete bottom end wasn't only stock, but it hadn't even been cleaned. It was just an old motor that got a coat of paint. Keep in mind this is what these guys had to say and that I have had no experience with DOA whatsoever.

So who's your friend that has the business? Does he do motors? and I think your little story definately changed my mind about LC...and what is DOA? Dead on Arrival? lol......Although I'm the kinda guy that believes lady luck is always on his side....But what I don't understand..If you buy a motor from them..Isn't it warrantied? Can't you just return it? I mean..that is alot to be spending on something so important to your truck as your motor to only have it S**t the bed 35k miles later!!!!??? I went to that site that someone had posted...rebuild-auto-engines.com and found a 22RET for my year....can I do a swap for my 22RE non turbo cleanly? I mean the motor was only $1,525 with a $300 core charge....
Old 03-24-2003, 06:37 AM

At the time of my purchase the engine warranty was 3000 miles. And, yes, to get any warranty work you have to pull the engine and send it back to them. Also, I believe some parts are considered "race used" and are not warrantied at all. Dig around on their site and you should be able to find out more for sure, but basically the 3k warranty doesn't add up to much in my opinion.
As for getting that 22ret from rebuild-auto-engines.com, you probably better make sure that price actually includes the turbo itself and all components. My bet is that only covers the long block. Based on my incredibly limited knowledge, the swap is doable, but not just a quick bit of wrenching. The 22ret uses the r151f transmission and I believe the transfercase has the 23spline input. The standard 22re uses the w56 transmission and 21 spline input so you would be looking at swapping the tranny and transfercase as well. Plus you would have to swap to the 22ret ECU. Although that is likely a "plug and play" swap you still need to come up with the right ECU. I think the best bet would be to find a truck with the turbo that has been wrecked and just taking all the parts off of it at one time.
I haven't come across any particulars about the needs of the fuel system, but horsepower = fuel usage so it may also require a switching to a higher flow fuel pump. That is a big guess though and I bet people that really know Toys will know if the pumps are different or not. It would be an expensive difference since the fuel pump alone runs around $260.

Last edited by Fahrenheit 451; 03-24-2003 at 06:42 AM.
Old 03-24-2003, 09:54 AM

My opinion about 'mail order' engines is you really don't know what the core of the rebuild was like in the first place. I went through the same decision in the past six month with my '85 22R. looked at LC, Napa, Kragen I ended up finding a reilable local machine shop. And got a short block bored to 30 over and head rebuild for $1700.00. Yeh, I had do some wrenching before and after but I stopped by every few days to see the progress, they were very good about keeping remove parts around to see the shape they were in. from drop off to pick up was five days. I ended up with a reliable strong running motor that does have a bit more seat up pants vroom! i.e. increasing speed up hills under weight in fourth at use to take thrid to pull.

Nathan
Old 03-24-2003, 10:34 AM

decision

Thanks for all the replies guys.....I think that maybe I'll just keep my 22RE that I have and beef it as much as possible....In the long run I think it'll be the best bet plus I know for a fact that my motor is good...No guess work....I think that I'm going to look into having it bored, and change cams, pulleys....things like that....It'll probably cost just as much if not less than buying a whole new motor, tranni, transfer and who knows what else...lol...Thanks again guys...
Old 06-17-2003, 08:08 AM

LC Enginnering

I've bought several products from LC Engineering. All were of very high quality, and arrived on time. Customer service was excellent.

The 22RE header still looks brand new due to the ceramic coating applied to the stainless steel pipes. I've had no leaks or other gasket problems common to headers, and the fit was perfect.

The dual row timing conversion was complete and the mechanic who did the install was very impressed with the quality of the components used.

The dual metalic clutch was an overkill- but it's holding up well to some pretty severe abuse. I'll replace it with a heavy duty clutch when the time comes. It is actually too positive in engagement for my taste.

The only knock on LC Engineering is the prices you pay- but, so far, I've gotten great quality, and good service from them.

Later

Last edited by crawler#976; 08-12-2003 at 07:43 AM.
Old 06-18-2003, 01:07 PM

I have the LCE headers, old version plain steel with ceramic coating. They've been on my truck a few years now and are holding up great, only a few specks of surface rust on the bottom of the runners from rocks hitting them. When I got them they had shipped the wrong connector pipe so I had to measure to figure out which one (there's a few different ones) I needed and front the money to get it overnighted to me (at their cost on the shipping) but once that was taken care of everything went together fine. I'd buy them again.
Old 07-14-2003, 08:04 PM

lc engineering rocks.. awesome technical service, they aren't just telling u or selling u something to make a buck they know toyotas. i have bought a few odds n ends from them and i plan to prolly get a clutch and a header from them.. the prices are 20% more then other places but its good service and quality products. i will recommend them to anyone.. oh one more thing.. shipping and so on it arrives in real good time for snail mail.. plus i live in WV so it must be good for me..
Old 08-01-2003, 03:48 PM

I think LC Engineering is overpriced on some of thier items such as the turbo header for the 22rtec application it costs more than a the whole swap I can get a whole 22rtec for $700 including turbo, wire harness, computers, complete swap this turbo header cost $750 it should be $350 Max

Last edited by Twisted4runner; 08-01-2003 at 04:52 PM.
Old 08-27-2003, 03:46 PM

I've got their header, cam, ported and polished head, larger throttle body and injectors and it all gave me a boatload more torque.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:29 PM
Banned

old thread but i'd like to bring it back....i also believe the damn turbo header should only be about 350-400 MAX!!! LC's prices are way too out of control....strike!
Old 12-04-2006, 03:19 PM

Funny thing after I posted this I did a little research and built my own it cost me less than $80 in parts and it was awsome, I was running 16-22 psi depending on my mood, I even got the wheels to pull off the ground going up my parents street. I used weldable Ells and kept everything the same length. I try to find some old pics and post them up here.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Any specific truck/engine that you got them for?
Old 01-03-2007, 12:02 PM

i love mine as well
Old 01-03-2007, 11:05 PM
Banned

can you post some pictures of your homemade header?
Old 01-03-2007, 11:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
had one on my 22re by far my best mod on that truck fit and finish was awesome
Old 03-05-2007, 10:20 AM
Contributing Member

Poor service from LCE

21 Feb - ordered LCE 22r header, item listed as in stock.

22 Feb - told backordered and told via phone and email, "We have a 7 day estimated time frame for this part. We will ship it out as soon as possible." No big deal as I ordered the engine on 21st and it will take a week to get here. Told this is LCE's 'bread and butter' and the headers are out getting ceramic coated. Notice credit card is charged today.

05 Mar - call and ask about header because I haven't heard anything, "Sorry, it's still on backorder and won't ship until 14 Mar" Something about problems with the ceramic coating. This would not bother me if they had at least emailed me so I'm not waiting around on headers to get my truck running... I ask if they can credit my credit card account until they ship. They respond with that's not how they normally do business. So I cancel my order.

LCE may be a good company but this is just my experience.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:25 AM

Thats kind of lame. Charge you like that before even having the product. I've never had a company do that to me

Quick Reply: LC Engineering