Notices
Customer Feedback For Vendors Use this forum for feedback good or bad on vendor's & dealer's you have dealt with

Arlington Toyota

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 02:48 PM
BBA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arlington Toyota

So, the wife's 2005 4 Runner keeps having tire pressure warning light, one tire keeps getting low.

She went to her dealer, Arlington Toyota, they couldn't find a leak in any tire so they pumped it up, etc...sent her on her way.

So, it keeps happenning, and I keep pumping the tire up. Finally she goes in for her 30K service, her two complaints are the tire pressure light/leaking tire and her AC doesn't blow as cold as when it was new. I figure they would find a tire problem and charge the AC and put new tires on with the tires for life plan she has.

So, $500 later after all the 30K crap they talk her into, no new tires (still a hair above the worn out mark) she calls me from the dealer and says they want $800 to fix her AC, because it has a bad compressor clutch. Turns out she is 4 months out of warranty.

This kind of took me off guard because I knew the AC actually worked, just not as good as new. So I told her hell no, I'll fix it myself.

I get home that night, take out the fluke and start checking continuity and sure enough, from the compressor relay no continuity to the compressor clutch. So I call around, no one but Toyota has the parts and everyone wants $800 to $900 to replace it. Still not convinced, I wanted to see first hand the problem, so I bought a new compressor clutch assembly from Toyota (just in case it actually was bad and I got it apart, didn't want the car to be apart and not have the parts on hand).

This morning, I took it all apart, pulled the alternator out of the way, had everything ready to go and before taking the clutch off I checked from the connector terminals and guess what, perfect continuity.

So, I now knew the clutch coil was good. My next step was start checking all the other suspect stuff. LP Cutout switch, good, continuity was fine. Finally after finding nothing else wrong, I traced the wire to the clutch coil connector and jumpered in 12 to it and guess what, I hear that perfectly normal "clunk" as the clutch engaged just fine.

So, I put the accessories and all back together and start the engine and turn the AC on, no clutch engagement. I jumpered the wire again, clutch kicks in and AC works fine. Now I am getting pissed. All that work and it's not even the problem.

I started tracing the wiring and by a fluke I noticed a ruber sleeve hanging down by the corner of the headlight, so I look closer and it was the low pressure cutout switch wiring, had been yanked out and broken just behind the headlight.

Ok, now I am almost livid...was pretty obvious the tech saw a chance to rip off my wife and sell her parts she did not need to fix an easy problem he caused. I soldered the wires together (what was left of them) and taped and heat shrinked it and AC works perfectly now. I am going to take the new clutch assembly back (still in unopened plastic).

I really do not know how I am going to 'discuss' this with the dealer but it will not be a pleasent experience for them. Any one with suggestion on how to get some attention the dealer won't like, please provide suggestions.

Here are pics of what the problem was:
Attached Thumbnails Arlington Toyota-dcp_3256-medium-.jpg   Arlington Toyota-dcp_3255-medium-.jpg   Arlington Toyota-dcp_3254-medium-.jpg  

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 05-14-2009 at 07:19 PM.
Old 04-25-2009, 04:28 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Oh wow, Thats some crazy stuff.

Glad you found the cheap fix though..

Good luck bitching at the stealership tehehe..

Old 04-26-2009, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man there is nothing in this world more loathsome than a thief...and make no mistake, that's exactly what this tech in the dealership is! I'm a law student and this kind of behavior is prohibited in almost every state by statute as well as the common law on the basis of contract theory. When you speak with the dealer be sure to mention the illegality of the actions and the fact that should you choose to press charges, the dealerships name will be publicly tied to your action which they cant keep hidden from the inquiring public. The problem for you is that the deal didn't go through. I.e. you didn't suffer any injury because you found the problem and fixed it. In the future, should you have this issue arise again in a different manner, take care to inspect everything before you take it in being careful to take pictures and notes on the condition of the part/ system in question. Then when you take it in and they pull some BS like this, you can reference your previous inspection and if there's any inconsistencies, you've got them on the hook criminally. Add to that any money you've lost because of the bad deal and you could now have a civil suit. If I were you I'd let those guys know how close they came to a legal action and be sure to drive home the fact that you will never bring your business to them again and you'll be telling every Toyota owner you know to steer clear. In the future, I guess always have a different shop look at it too, see if the diagnosis is the same. Best of luck and remember, KEEP YOUR COOL- don't let them get the last laugh by you losing your temper and getting the cops called! One last thing BBA, be careful what you post bashing a business. If they found this post, they could try to bring an action for libel at which point you'd have to prove the truth of what you're claiming to avoid liability. Good luck, BBA.
**Not to be construed as legal advise, opinion only!!**