Notices
Vendor Advertising Vendor's, use this area to alert members to your OEM & Aftermarket Toyota parts

RCV Toy IFS CVs - SNEAK PEAK!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RCV Toy IFS CVs - SNEAK PEAK!

Here is a pic we just got from RCV of the prototype '86 to '94 HD CV assemblies.

Specs:
300m Inner Stubs
4340 Inner flanges
930 Porche CVs 4340/300m lightened
300m center bar
RCV Toy IFS outer CV - 4340 bell, 300m star, 3/4" balls. The design is the same family and geometry as the RCV Dana 30/44 stuff and the uber-stout Longfields.

No, these will not be cheap, but they will be less $$$ than a SAS. Guesstimates at this time are in the $1500.00 range.

Yes, hard core IFS parts are coming your way.... it's only a matter of time.

The first prototypes will be on the way to us next week and will be abused soon after.

Test Vehicle: 1996 4Runner, Blazeland IFS LT, 35x12.50 MTRs, 5.29s, Air Lockers and AA doubler.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:27 PM

1500.00 dollars seems like it would be more worth while to do SAS...
Old 08-06-2010, 02:33 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
They would need to be in the 7-800 dollar range for people to see the worthiness of buying them. :/ its a great design though!
Old 08-06-2010, 02:45 PM

$1500?? Longfields are half that price You can do a swap for a grand if you do it right....RUF, Chevy's in the rear etc...but good idea, although, then what will you do about the weak 7.5" ring and pinion? Just sayin...
Old 08-06-2010, 03:06 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i'll be a tester if you need one
Old 08-06-2010, 03:10 PM

TG kit is 1050!!! but it is a good idea if you can come off the price a lil you might sell a few... post some pics for us bro.....
Old 08-06-2010, 03:20 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
they ARE just the prototypes...... so that might have something to do with the price.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:26 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
well i think it would help if tim posted up the thread he started over on pirate. it makes much more sense.

thanks tim for posting up the spy pics on YT. i just got finished reading the whole thread an hours ago. Im going to keep up to date with your progress.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:11 PM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by yotamonsta-
TG kit is 1050!!! but it is a good idea if you can come off the price a lil you might sell a few... post some pics for us bro.....

Originally Posted by 89silverpu
$1500?? Longfields are half that price You can do a swap for a grand if you do it right....RUF, Chevy's in the rear etc...but good idea, although,
And that's a how many banana job for the weekend warrior that doesnt know how to weld to do in his driveway?

Come on guy's... You gotta do better than this... Think of the market, not what you would do.

then what will you do about the weak 7.5" ring and pinion? Just sayin...

Not defending the little guy, but Zuk says they're strong b/c the whole thing is in a case... The ring is set back and the cover even helps with strength... Makes sense...

And some guys on here that run 5:71's in them have posted 38's is when they started having trouble.

Last edited by tried4x2signN; 08-06-2010 at 05:12 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:46 PM

$1500?? Longfields are half that price
And only come with half the CVs that these come with... do the math.

You can do a swap for a grand if you do it right....
Then another $800.00 for Longfields and then everybody with the blinging LT IFS has to wait for you to catch up.

then what will you do about the weak 7.5" ring and pinion? Just sayin...
Originally Posted by tried4x2signN
Zuk says they're strong b/c the whole thing is in a case... The ring is set back and the cover even helps with strength... Makes sense...

And some guys on here that run 5:71's in them have posted 38's is when they started having trouble.
That is a concern, but I am not convinced they are as weak as some people say, but we'll see.... Of course if the 7.5" goes snap it's time for an 8" upgrade.

Originally Posted by MaK92-4RnR
Originally Posted by Tech Tim
Guesstimates at this time are in the $1500.00 range.
they ARE just the prototypes...... so that might have something to do with the price.
Yep, prototypes and that price is a guestimate, but there is an awful lot of 4340 and 300m in that mix and RCV does enough custom stuff that I bet their guestimate will be fairly accurate.

Originally Posted by dark_fairytales
well i think it would help if tim posted up the thread he started over on pirate. it makes much more sense.

thanks tim for posting up the spy pics on YT. i just got finished reading the whole thread an hours ago. Im going to keep up to date with your progress.
We'll be using something similar in that build, but this is the first step.

Originally Posted by tried4x2signN
And that's a how many banana job for the weekend warrior that doesnt know how to weld to do in his driveway?

Come on guy's... You gotta do better than this... Think of the market, not what you would do.
'Xactly, keep in mind that these are for the guys who want to keep IFS and are going to stay in the 35" or smaller tire range and do not want to worry about breaking CVs, tripods and stubs.

Will they be good for over 35" tires? No worries on the CVs, probably the outer stubs will go, but testing will prove the weak points and we will be working on an option to go 30 spline inner and outer stubs with an 8" center, then figure the same strength as the Longfields.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:23 PM

once again i think the $ is a bit steep...

seriously though, i think they are a great idea but at the same time, who do you know who would rather get this then the sas for the same amount of money??

and the way i look at it, anyone who would actually NEED these, has probably got the experience and know-how or know someone where they could install a SAS.

if you could come off the price a good bit im sure your sells would be more noticable. and your work more appreciatable...

-Kyle
Old 08-06-2010, 06:33 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Sorry, but you guys that are talking SAS for $1500 are either being unrealistic, clueless or both.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:37 PM

i'll be both.

but im saying, as a consumer, customer, w/e you wanna call me.

if i spending that amount of cash i would go with a SAS. that price IMO (and you know what they say about opinions) is way to steep for the other options out there.

explain to me how this would be better than a SAS and explain the price differences...
Old 08-06-2010, 06:46 PM
Banned

We will consider tires, wheels, lockers, armor etc a wash.

To SAS my 1990 4Runner it is at least $2k in parts alone for lift kits, axle and gearing and that is at my cost, not retail.

Then you have the enormous amount of labor involved to do it right. 30+ hours

To swap in those HD cv axle shafts I could do in an afternoon and be done with it.

It is a viable option for folks who want to wheel their IFS.

4WDTO has an article this month illustrating that IFS wheels just as good, if not better than SFA, and the only reason they said it was not as good was they snapped a cv in a hard pinned turn, something the upgraded cvs would address easily.

How many of you have built a SAS rig and truly understand the amount of time and money involved? It is WAY more than the cost of a set of $1500 cv axles.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:54 PM

well thats why i asked you wabbit, i myself havent done a SAS.

so im speaking from a "what i would do" mind frame.

you are correct on it being something easier to do then the SAS but which would pay off more in the long run?

Which would you prefer?

And on average how much does a SAS cost considering you and a few buddys are doing the work...

EDIT: i dont want to come off as a hypocrit or be down playing the CV's. If they are as good as they are being advertised then they should be worth a pretty penny, i being "un-experienced" just do not see the advantage of 1.5K CV's over spending a lil more on a SAS.

Last edited by BigSwole; 08-06-2010 at 06:59 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:10 PM
Banned

Tim has done many a SAS I'm sure. In fact, he is the man who did the work on the SFA and IFS Toyotas in the above article I mention.

Anything new is pricey at first. If I wheeled IFS I'd buy em.

Again it is a viable IFS upgrade that will only come down and price. Even at $1500 it's at least half as cheap as a SAS maybe more depending on variables.

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 08-06-2010 at 07:11 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:16 PM

i am too unknowlegeable (cant even spell that right) to continue this battle

i hope they prove to be reliable and indestructible that way something different can be seen..

Tim: when do you think we could see a video of these performing?
Old 08-06-2010, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
How many of you have built a SAS rig and truly understand the amount of time and money involved? It is WAY more than the cost of a set of $1500 cv axles.
Well said Brian.

Yes SAS can be done on the cheap if you don't count your time and you can build most of it yourself. But you won't be able to keep up with a long travel equipped IFS on the fire roads or that medium stuff between the big obstacles and these CVs are what will allow an IFS truck to keep up with a SAS'd rig on the big obstacles.

This is dual sport stuff and there is nothing like being able to crawl slow and go really fast.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by BigSwole
Tim: when do you think we could see a video of these performing?
As soon as we can get them here, installed and on the trail.

Now I just need to talk Marlin out of his front dig t-case, then we can put a big hurt on the front end.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:33 PM

Tim, dont think im bashin your product, i do see the advantage and simpleness of having these, im just i guess you could say shell shocked at the price..

i hope things work out, let me know when you get the vid out!

and where can i see the pic of the test vehicle?

Last edited by BigSwole; 08-06-2010 at 08:36 PM.

Quick Reply: RCV Toy IFS CVs - SNEAK PEAK!