Notices
Vendor Advertising Vendor's, use this area to alert members to your OEM & Aftermarket Toyota parts

Gauging Interest: Selling Front Bumper Plans for 3rd Gen 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 07:50 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Gauging Interest: Selling Front Bumper Plans for 3rd Gen 4Runner

Mods: Please feel free to move/delete this if it is not appropriate or doesn’t belong here.

I am sure some of you have seen my front bumper build-up thread in the fabrication section. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f88/...-build-206103/

Well I have received several inquiries about people wanting to buy the bumper plans from me. Initially, I had no desire to do it, but recently I have modified the design slightly for a friend, so he could make one. This updated design allows itself to be utilized by others much more easily. So now I am considering selling the plans. I am curious as to what kind of response I might get.

I would be selling the plans only, no actual parts. The plans would include: a full parts list, detailed assembly instructions, assembly pictures, all necessary CAD files and/or detailed drawings. Some parts of the design could be customized for each buyer, like material thickness, bumper width (for varying flare styles), hoop design, and provisions for body lifts. All flat parts could be cut directly from the CAD files on a water jet, CNC, etc, if you wanted, or you could just cut your own parts using the detailed drawings.

Plus I would go out of my way to help you, if you ran into any issues. As we know, every vehicle has slightly different dimensions and tolerances, so some minor tweaking should be expected during each build. Also, you would need to do a “Frame End Cap Mod”, which I would also provide instructions for. Obviously you would have to be familiar with fabricating, welding, etc. Or you could just take the plans to a local shop, and have them fabricate it for you.

So, the big question is: What would you be willing to pay for something like this? $50, $100, $150, $200? I am not looking to start a big business, just trying to help some people out, and make a little money back for my time and design skills. Please offer any interest/comments/advice you might have if I decide to go through with this.

Thanks,

Jeremy (aka Bandit Runner)
Old 11-05-2010, 08:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am very interested, that said I have no reference for what plans for anything are worth. Hopefully someone with some knowledge in this area will chime in.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:39 PM

Hi Jeremy,
Just read through your design and i would be prepared to pay a $100.00 for a set of drawings.
thanks Paul
Old 11-06-2010, 01:56 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
$100 seems fair. Especially if you'll offer other types of advice and info for anyone stuck during assembly or install.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:28 AM

Thanks to those that responded. Yeah, I was thinking somewhere between $100 and $150. I'll let you know what I decide.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:42 AM

Great, hopefully a winter project to look forward to.

Cheers Paul
Old 11-09-2010, 09:10 AM

Maybe a package deal when for when the front bumper and skid plates and the rear bumper when you get that completed. $200 range I think would be good $100 per end and $40-50 for the skid plates probably.

Is your rear bumper going to be a swing out?
Old 11-09-2010, 09:27 AM

Hi Jeremy,
Also interested in skid plates and rear bumper. Have you got anything drawn up at the moment ?
Cheers Paul
Old 11-12-2010, 09:19 AM

Well, I guess I'll try this on a trial basis, and see how it works out. Price will be $125 for a custom designed bumper based off my design. Here's how it will work:

1. You pm me if you are interested. Serious inquires only, please.
2. We will work through the various options and details of the arrangement.
3. You will provide me with the following information so I can create the design:
a) body lift height (if applicable).
b) overall width you want the bumper to be.
c) material thickness you want for the bumper.
d) hoop style & design.
e) anything else you want customized (this could increase price).
4. I'll need a week or two to complete the design.
5. I will send you CAD images of your specific design.
6. You review the images, and provide any feedback.
7. I'll tweak the design based on your feedback.
8. Once the design is agreed upon, you send me a check for the previously agreed upon price.
9. Once I receive the check, I send you all the CAD files, drawings, instructions, etc.
10. You keep in touch with me during the build, and let me know if you run into any issues, and I'll try to help you work through them the best that I can.

Sound fair? So who wants to be my guinea pig, I mean, first customer?
Old 11-12-2010, 11:29 AM

Also interested in skid plates and rear bumper. Have you got anything drawn up at the moment ?
I am not ready to do the skid plate or rear bumper at this time. We'll see how it goes for the front bumper first.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:45 AM

Well if I weren't 5 months from being back in the states where I could go ahead and build one I'd be all over it.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:51 AM

Just an FYI to everyone, I do have a guinea pig. So we'll see how it goes.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:52 AM

Well if I weren't 5 months from being back in the states where I could go ahead and build one I'd be all over it.
pkt1213: You don't need to be stateside. We can design it now, and it will be ready to build when you return.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:00 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I know it wouldn't be really accurate, but do you have a ball park figure on how much materials cost? Great work by the way.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:14 AM

I know it wouldn't be really accurate, but do you have a ball park figure on how much materials cost? Great work by the way.
If you purchased all the parts for the bumper already cut out on a waterjet or something, I would estimate $250-$350. If you bought just the raw materials to cut out the parts yourself, probably around $100.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Bandit Runner
If you purchased all the parts for the bumper already cut out on a waterjet or something, I would estimate $250-$350. If you bought just the raw materials to cut out the parts yourself, probably around $100.
Read through your bumper build thread - excellent work!!!

Off-hand, I don't know where the nearest waterjet is to me. I've been into cars for awhile and haven't heard of one in my area. Not to say that there aren't, just don't know of one...

Have you considered selling an "IKEA Model-T style" version of your bumper? You can have it anyway you want it as long as it's flat packed and "standard." You can sell a standard kit that has the significant pieces cut, openings cut, etc. and the buyer can customize at their discretion since they're going to have to do some fabbing anyway.

I'd be most interested in a complete, built, bumper; but this seems to be a good alternative.

Last edited by hungwin jza80; 12-03-2010 at 12:19 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:29 PM

Read through your bumper build thread - excellent work!!!

Off-hand, I don't know where the nearest waterjet is to me. I've been into cars for awhile and haven't heard of one in my area. Not to say that there aren't, just don't know of one...

Have you considered selling an "IKEA Model-T style" version of your bumper? You can have it anyway you want it as long as it's flat packed and "standard." You can sell a standard kit that has the significant pieces cut, openings cut, etc. and the buyer can customize at their discretion since they're going to have to do some fabbing anyway.

I'd be most interested in a complete, built, bumper; but this seems to be a good alternative.
You don't need to have a waterjet, the pieces can be cut out using an angle grinder and/or jigsaw. That's how I cut mine out. I hadn't considered selling kits, but not a bad idea.

Thanks,
Old 03-16-2011, 09:40 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
How did your guinea pig work out? I would assume well but I'm still curious. I still really like that bumper.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:31 PM

I am also curious how the guinea pig worked out. And the others as its been a while since you offered this up.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by wyorunner
I am also curious how the guinea pig worked out. And the others as its been a while since you offered this up.
I second this.

Quick Reply: Gauging Interest: Selling Front Bumper Plans for 3rd Gen 4Runner