Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rv2 oba setup

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 10:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rv2 oba setup

so i finally picked which compressor i am going to use i have been looking for a typical york for my oba but the local junkyard i go to didn't have a single one on any of the cars or trucks there. then i was going to do a sanden and i got a seized one for free and then somebody told me that you had to use a oiler on those so i unbolted the pulley and the front of the housing and threw the rest of the housing away then i found a rv2 of a old mopar for cheap and had the guy ship it to me.
good news is i got the compressor, bad news is ups is such an awesome carrier and they broke my box open and the electromagnet is gone (dang you ups!!!!) and at 180 dollars for a new clutch time to do what i do best and design, engineer, and fabricate all while being the cheapest person on the face of the planet
so heres where im stuck at is the magnet here is my solution if i cant get one for cheap i am going to use the sanden pulley from earlier with the sanden, the rv2 clutch disk, a collar that i will fab to go from the sanden pulley to the rv2 clutch disk shaft, and use the sanden magnet after grinding down the detent on the backingplate and redrilling all the holes to make sure its centered the only problem i can see with this is that the clutch disk is slightly bigger than the pulley and from the looks of it once i got it all together it would only have about 3/4 inch of the clutch making contact all the way around not to sure if that will hold without slipping yet
i also herd that a york clutch will fit right on the rv2 compressor thats what i got so far
i do plan on running a vsv and a seperate idle up valve to help run airtools and such while out of the truck
i want to have 2 tanks one for running anything air related and a small one the my arb that i purchased a while back

i will try to get pics up later but i have to go to my sister cancer walk later so idk

Last edited by Dreidel; 10-06-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:34 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
What?
Old 10-06-2012, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by dropzone
What?
your are going to have to be way more specific on what exactly your saying what to because i unless you were talking about my post just ending half way though and ended making no sense that was me accidentally hitting enter and submitting the thread before i was done

Last edited by Dreidel; 10-06-2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
Um....what?
Old 10-08-2012, 05:31 AM

ill get pics up later to describe what im talking about

ps what kind of oil should i put in the compressor the stuff thats in it now is red but i donk think there is enough
Old 10-08-2012, 07:20 AM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
I use ATF in mine
Old 10-08-2012, 07:39 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Sorry but the lack of punctuation etc made it a PITA to decrypt what you were trying get across
Old 10-08-2012, 06:21 PM

Bbp ok cool
Drop zone my bad to try and simplify I am making a bushing so I can use the pulley, magnet from the sanden compressor and the clutch disk from the rv2 pics will probably help
Old 10-09-2012, 07:17 PM

ok sorry about the procrastinating the photos for some reason it always seem to give me trouble being 17 you would think i would have figured this out by now but guess not any on with the show
here are the rv2 clutch parts

here are the sanden compressor parts that i kept

ok so biggest problem i have so far is the magnet missing which i have confirmed that ups has lost my magnet and i cant take pics of the box because i left it in the garage and my step dad threw it away soooooo.... we will see how that goes. here is the mag i have which as you can see in the pic is clearly too small

heres my solution, that is to use ( in order from front of compressor to back) rv2 clutch/sanden pulley/sanden mag/rv2 compressor.
the reason for the rv2 clutch is clearly explained in pick
sanden left/ rv2 right

the first problem with this solution is this

the rv2 clutch has got just a tad bit too much wiggle room in there so im going to solve that with the bushing that ive been talking about
i chucked up the front of the housing in the lathe at school and cut of the journal that the original bearing was presses onto

i have to cut the lip off and bore out the center of the bushing so it will fit over the rv2 clutch shaft

but with high school, votech, and a job everyday i only have a hour at school to work on it and only on Mondays.
i think this should help with the confusion if not let me know and any questions are welcomed

oh yeah this is the biggest thing im worried about so far

do you guys think that is enough clutch material to keep the compressor (uhh for lack of better words right now) compressing without slipping

heres the compressor after some cleaning
Old 06-03-2013, 03:27 PM

so i started working on this project again and was wondering how to calculate how much torque it will take to spin the compressor because im gong to hook it up to a electric motor instead of to the engine after seeing how little room there is once power steering is added
i have two motors 1 is smaller at .1 hp and puts out about .5 ftlb and spins at 1100 rpms the bigger one i have is 1.25 hp 6ftlb and spins about 1750 rpms i want the gear ratio from the pump to the motor to be about 5:1 which should be enough air pumping through the pump to power most air tools without have to wait for it to fill the tank multiple times and keep the rpms down enough to keep from throwing a rod
do you guys think the small motor could even remotely pull it off or am i going to have to use the big one
Old 06-05-2013, 05:15 PM

after doing some calculations i am stepping down the gear ratio quite abit due to the fact that 5:1 with the motor spinning 1750 rpms, the compressor would be putting down about 64 cfm which is just ridiculous and not sure if even a 1/2 airline could handle that so im going to do roughly 2.5:1 which puts down about 31 cfm which is still huge amount of air and will power most tools i could put on the line even a 1 inch impact (37 cfm at full torque avg of 10 cfm but ive personally never seen a 1 inch impact stalled out to even remotely require that 37 cfm just sayin)
Old 06-05-2013, 06:43 PM
Inu

Torque wrench and measure the breakaway on your pump. With electric you wont need the clutch anymore as well
Old 06-06-2013, 01:15 AM

Yeah that was another reson I went electric because when I was finalizing that bushing on the lathe I accidentally took it a few thousands too far and even though it would only go in perfectly straight it wasn't a press fit like I needed so I just welded the bushing to the bearing race and then welded the two races together so it's all solid now
Sinse I'm doing a 2.5:1 gear ratio will I need to multiply the break over torque by 2.5 to get the right reading?
Old 06-06-2013, 10:14 AM
Inu

Im no science guy. Your underdriving the pump by 2.5 so you would devide it by that minus a little for specs loss/drag. If you small moter doesnt make that much torque at stall you ca not use it. Now that i look back you were gonna overdrive the pump. So yes multiply that torque plus some for loss.

Now that just get it spinning. The pump might still bog the motor from full rpm so be prepared to change pulleys. Im curious about the 1 1/4 hp motor.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:58 PM

ok that makes sense. that motor is actually 1 1/2 hp, its roughly as big as the one that drives our compressor in our garage which even though it takes forever to fill the tank its has a huge compressor on it

i got some tanks off a semi the other day with the brackets. the brackets are made out of u channel so i just bolted the 2 brackets together. theres about 15 inches between the tanks and the big motor measures 12 inches long from end to end of the shaft so its perfect to fit in there. the whole thing is going to be a "unit" i guess so the compressor and motor are going between the tanks. best part is i already know where its going. its going where the spare tire goes and the winch is going to lift the "unit" up and down and its not going to take up any valuable space, since the truck is going to be sitting on 36-37s so not big deal
Old 06-12-2013, 02:03 PM
Inu

Shure its 12 volts?
Old 06-12-2013, 02:12 PM

no its 120 but i got this awesome 1500 continuous watt inverter a few weeks ago, thats when i came up with using a ac motor for the oba
Old 06-12-2013, 02:15 PM
Inu

Good wiring. Hope it works for you. Ive had bad luck with inverters...
Old 06-12-2013, 02:31 PM

it appears to be a good one like one they use in service vans and truck, the ones that you hook really heavy gauge wire to it like battery cables
ill try to get more pics up later
Old 10-05-2016, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rv2 compressor MEASUREMENTS

Hello everyone

can someone post or send me the dimanssions of the rv2 comprssore please ??

thanks all!!