Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Put Blazeland through its paces...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 08:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Put Blazeland through its paces...

And it handled everything and then some. I bought CrazyYota4X4's (controversial) kit of the yotatech C'fieds, threw 63" Chevys in the back and went out for three days of every kind of wheelin imaginable. Pre-runnin', overlandin', rockcrawlin'. The suspension was unstoppable in every situation. I made some droop stops that give me the maximum travel without binding the CVs at full droop - full lock, and kept low-pro upper stops. As you can see in the photo, this made for some serious travel. And arguably (though not so arguably in my book) much more useful travel than an SAS rig gets as my wheels remained at perfect camber with one at full cram and one at full droop. With the suspension fully crossed, my front end had traction and my long travel leaf-sprung rear end didn't.

Complaints: With my low torsion setting, the front end's almost 10 inches wider. Not a performance problem at all, but it did get me pulled over before I installed the Bushwackers.

Notes: On-road, the ride is reeeal smooth. The front end soaks up speed bumps like they're not there, and the rear Chevys combined with KillYourBack shocks do almost as well. It leans pretty far in turns (I'm sans swaybar), but the wide stance seems to make up for it.
I can take washes at whatever speed I choose. Can chirp the tires on hard pack. And after three days of abuse, my back aint sore in the least.
It shines in the rocks. The photo's from the Truckhaven obstacle course. While I didn't make the turn just following that spot, it had nothing to do with suspension. Wheelbase was just too long. The Blazeland kit got me in and out of the spot no problem- one tire crammed, the other drooped, they both gripped.

Attached Thumbnails Put Blazeland through its paces...-t2.jpg   Put Blazeland through its paces...-t1.jpg  
Old 04-08-2011, 08:12 PM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
Sweeeeeeet!
Old 04-08-2011, 08:14 PM

I saw the first pic on the blazeland website, awesome picture man. Truck looks good.

By the way, did the chevy springs lift the rear any? Can I a picture from the side?

Last edited by cr@ves4wheelin; 04-08-2011 at 08:17 PM.
Old 04-09-2011, 03:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks great! keep us updated....would love to do the lift on my truck...just can't spend the money right now
Old 04-09-2011, 09:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
glad to hear that the kit is doing good for you. Now that Im back to work I might just have to get this kit again. Great pics too.
Old 04-09-2011, 04:16 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Great review. Thats an interesting thought on the dynamic camber actually improving traction. Seems to me, when you're flexed out, you're on uneven enough ground that it wouldn't matter, the whole tire isn't supporting the weight anyway. I suspect the weight distribution had more to do with the traction difference you saw, but you might be right.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:43 PM

wow sweet rig man, i definately need blazeland once i get the cash...what torsion bars are you running?
Old 04-09-2011, 07:21 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
what did you do for the rear to match the width?
Old 04-10-2011, 01:45 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
prolly nothing, but the best upgrade, just for width, would be a tacoma axle...
Old 04-10-2011, 09:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by vital22re
[QUOTE=4bangercraig]And it handled everything and then some. I bought CrazyYota4X4's (controversial) kit of the yotatech C'fieds, threw 63" Chevys in the back and went out for three days of every kind of wheelin imaginable.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:57 AM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
I'm pretty sure 63" chevys don't increase the width.......
Old 04-10-2011, 11:12 AM

i think a t-100 rear axle would match the width
Old 04-10-2011, 01:12 PM

Running 3 inch spacers in the back to match width. Still a little wider in the front. Gotta open my door at drive-through ATMs and I get funny looks from cops, but I'm getting used to how wide it is. Not running over curbs on accident any more. Well worth dealing with for the travel it gives me, and I kinda like having the rocks a little further away from the body of the truck. Do wish I had wider sliders though.
Chevys gave me about 2-3 inches of lift. I'm running 9" long single shackles instead of duals. Heard too many stories about wheel hop and inconvenient unloading. The single shackles look kinda ridiculous, but they work pretty well so far. I'm running stock Toyota torsion bars and I'm glad they're as soft as they are. Don't plan on jumping my rig (trucks hate flying), and the ease of uptravel is comfy in the fast stuff and really nice to have in the rocks.

It's a little hard to tell what's really going on with what axle when all four tires spin, but I'm pretty well convinced that the dynamic camber aids traction. Check the second pic. Still got traction because the right tire has all kinds of rubber on the rock, but that back left tire just dug holes! At least with me behind the wheel, solid axles never seem to notch the truck up between boulders the way IFS does and the truck always winds up with a wheel all sideways against a rock. I got lockers, so it wasn't really a problem, but with a different rear diff that axle coulda been stuck. As it was, that rear left tire got wedged pretty good and I burned a little clutch freeing the axle. (in hindsight, shoulda used the starter motor...) Front axle put less rubber on the rock on each side, but I had traction on both sides.
I don't mind having a little extra clearance in the middle, either. With 33's I got more front diff clearance than my buddy's straight axle on 35's. ;-)

Attached Thumbnails Put Blazeland through its paces...-t1.jpg   Put Blazeland through its paces...-t2.jpg  
Old 04-10-2011, 01:15 PM

wow man your truck is looking sweet
Old 04-10-2011, 07:24 PM

Thanks three of us worked on it almost a week straight! Everything's worked out fantastically so far except for the shock towers we made out of old stock shackles. 3/2 of those broke before we got em welded together well enough...
Blazeland FTW! It's definitely made me a firm believer that long travel SAS is the future of 4wheelin. The versatility just can't be beat!
Old 04-10-2011, 07:49 PM

ya man, i really want to get that kit once i sell my dirtbike. so hopefully in like july
Old 04-14-2011, 07:47 PM

Good looking truck! The long travel IFS looks to be the way to go for a rig to do a little of everything.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:55 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Wow looks great!!
Old 04-17-2011, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by vital22re
Originally Posted by space-junk
prolly nothing, but the best upgrade, just for width, would be a tacoma axle...
Bingo, Almost finished with mine

Blazeland LT up front

T100 Rear Axle (And coil to leaf conversion). I added about 4" to the wheelbase while I was at it

Still need an alignment, but I'm waiting for my extended rear brake lines before I drive it to the shop.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:22 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Wow, that looks great! Action pics?

Quick Reply: Put Blazeland through its paces...