Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pul-Pall alternatives?

Old 04-07-2007, 08:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Found it!

http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...145&hasJS=true

Lamm
Old 04-07-2007, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4x4Lamm
I have a hard time beleiving my 4500pound truck wouldnt yank that right out of the ground...
Old 04-07-2007, 08:53 PM

Well I ordered one so time will tell as I will be testing it first hand.

Lamm
Old 04-07-2007, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Stomis
I have a hard time beleiving my 4500pound truck wouldnt yank that right out of the ground...
Thats my thought, when I am stuck... I am STUCK... I have bent 8" trees winching at the base.... and thats usually not in the mud....
Old 04-07-2007, 09:19 PM

Likewise.

Though that Gopher thing for the hi-lift is pretty cool. I did a little digging and the best I can find is an article talking about the PullPal mentions the "Sand Spike and the Gopher has come and gone... etc." Would love to find one of those somewhere on the used market...
Old 04-07-2007, 09:30 PM

2 or 3 concrete form stakes or called spikes that are 2 foot long and a 3pound sledge hammer
Old 04-08-2007, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Sonofmayhem
I would buy a 6 ft stake and dig it in at an angle then stand on it while i winched the truck and when i felt it move i would stop. now if your too far for your remote then well id put a big ass rock or the spare on top of the stake to be able to see it moving, or to catch the stake from flying into the windshield.
You would really stand on a stake connected to your winch line while winching????Or am I not understanding what you mean?

Last edited by 92 Toyota; 04-08-2007 at 05:52 AM.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:23 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

x2

Especially with how stuck he's gonna be with ARB's front and rear...but it's gotta be better than nothing!
Old 04-09-2007, 08:26 PM

I would like a winch anchor but there is no way I am spending the cash on a Pul-Pall, they are sweet but way overpriced IMO.

What other land anchor options are there? I know you can bury your spare but that is a LAST ditch resort. NWOR sells a "stake" type but I'm not sure how good (or safe) it is. I seem to remember one from the last SEMA show posted by Expeditions West maybe that looked decent.

So in short, what else is out there, how well does it work, how much does it cost and where did you get it?

Thanks!
Lamm
You'll NEVER regret getting a Pull-Pal. First off Pat Germilian is the coolest cat on the block and he'll bend over backwards to make his customers happy. He is a legend and the nicest guy in the industry period!
Second, his junk ALWAYS WORKS! I've been the last guy on a chain of 8 jeeps (all hooked together) winching up a snow field where the wrong move would have sent all of us down into carvase and underground/snow river. The only thing holding all of us was one pull-pal.

He does have smaller sizes that are cheaper then his military spec one. That's right, the military uses his. That pounding a stake into the ground stuff is for the birds. A pull-pal isn't going to pull out, I'd trust it with my life.

Last edited by Chaplain; 04-09-2007 at 08:31 PM.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:50 AM

chaplain--is it really easy to undue, for this looks like what i need, the trees i have to play with are small brown and tumble down the trail . ive got locker front and rear and damn did i get stuck
Old 04-10-2007, 01:06 AM

ya its expensive, but you can try to build something like it, but if your stuck and you use yourhome made one and it breaks andhurts someone or damage your vehicle was it so cheap then, i think they got to have some research and testing before selling? i would think. for me this just might end up in my truck, I just wonder if its really muddy , will the thing just get sucked into the mud??, then your still stuck and its stuck which would suck
Old 04-10-2007, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by CyMoN
2 or 3 concrete form stakes or called spikes that are 2 foot long and a 3pound sledge hammer
I used to carry 3 of those under my rear seat. A while back, I got stuck in deep snow and pounded all 3 into the ground. I wove a tow strap through the stakes, then fired up the winch. The stakes all snapped like toothpicks. It was pathetic.

Those stakes aren't meant for that kind of stress. I definitely don't recommend carrying them.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:59 AM

I built one in under an hour, final cost for the first prototype is 42$. testing pics will be up tommorrow eve on expedition portal.

Wasnt that hard to build. and it even fold up like a "real" one. For a spade i used a 14" duck foot plow similar to the golpher model on page one. 10 feet of 2 in square tubing. 6 - 1/2x 3 1/2 inch bolts washers nuts ect. six conection plates.

If it works Ill freely give the design info out on expo if it dont well ...... I guess back to the drawing boards ...
Old 04-17-2007, 11:09 AM

open position

Closed position

good news it works like a champ. needed a few minor mods to make it work.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:23 PM

it worked fine....with a few minor adj....more pics on expo [IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-30-2007, 08:00 AM

my friend used to carry 3 rods of rebar around with him. We used it once in soft clay to make a deadman and it worked out fine. Then again he worked towing/recovery then so he had a better idea of what he was doing than I do. It looks like a good product but I can't afford it until after I finally get the other mods I want done
Old 04-30-2007, 08:25 AM

i agree, it looks kinda beefy, but it doesnt look like it goes all that deep into the ground...i dont trust it...
Old 04-30-2007, 08:35 PM

The Earth Anchor arrived today, it is very heavy and seemes tough. The spike isat least a foot long and about 6 inches wide.

I will be testing it (with pics) ASAP, maybe this weekend.

Lamm
Old 05-21-2007, 06:28 AM
Contributing Member

The Earth Anchor arrived today, it is very heavy and seemes tough. The spike isat least a foot long and about 6 inches wide.

I will be testing it (with pics) ASAP, maybe this weekend.

Lamm

Are you talking about this product?

If so, how well did it work?
got any pics yet?
Old 05-21-2007, 06:18 PM

Yes I did get it and tested it, in my front yard no less!

I found it to be very well built and sturdy and quite hefty. However the test was a bit of a let down. I attempted 5 times to wse it as an anchor to winch myself over the curb at the end of my parking pad and had to stop every time for fear that it would pull out. This was with the spike in a well maintained lawn.

It is quite easy to drive into and remove from the ground but just didnt have the staying power in soft soil. I did test it in more solied and heavily rooted soil as well but not with my 4Runner, with an ATV as it was an ATV area. It seemed to work much better in hard ground, but then again don't you get stuck in the mud/sand?

Bottem line, not a useful tool for 4x4s, and I'm attempting to return it, or have Cabelas demonstrate how to winch a Superduty out from a snowdrift with it.

Lamm

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pul-Pall alternatives?