Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lock right lockers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 07:23 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lock right lockers?

what are your feelings on these? im thinking about getting one, but not sure if its worth it. its either this, or saving up the cash for arb air locker and compressor. any help would be grand
Old 08-01-2003, 07:32 AM

I got one. $217.00 out the door. It was too easy to install. The best low budget mod I have ever done. Quirks are easy to deal with, and it always works whether I need it to or not. What more can you ask for? Seriously, if you are going to regear, then get a Detroit. If not, then a Lock-Right. I don't know about use up front as I only have one in the rear.
Old 08-01-2003, 07:39 AM
Contributing Member

yeah, thanks. i wasj ust wondering about putting one in the rear. also, whats the difference btwn this unit and the no slip traction system offered by powertrax as well?
Old 08-01-2003, 07:44 AM

What exactly is the lock-right? LSD? Selectable locker? Permanent locker? other?
Old 08-01-2003, 07:48 AM
Contributing Member

You might want to hold up .. I'm trying to work out a group buy on a detroit locker .. it might be a little more then the lock right .. but from I've read the detroit locker is quality, and has very little problems.
Old 08-01-2003, 01:09 PM
Contributing Member

ive been thinking of getting the lock-rite. i think i found it for like 180 somethin plus shippin on the internet.
Old 08-01-2003, 01:26 PM

i am running a lockrite in the rear of mine, worth the money, very cheap, mines seems to be very quiet, no loud poping as i had expected, just tire chirp around corners but hell you gte used to it after a while. ohh and ths install is so easy a monkey did mine
Old 08-01-2003, 01:35 PM

I just Installed a Lock-Right a few weeks ago and here are some observations that I have.

INSTALL . EASY to install. nothing to it

Operation. It is a full time locker. It disengages when you turn by allowing 1 wheel to spin FASTER then the other, meaning the slow wheel get the engine power. This is kinda neat it sounds like a big craftsman wrench because that is how it works. when 1 tire needs to go faster during a turn it applies pressure to the assembly and it disengages and ratchets on the axle. However this dosent always work so nicely and it can get kinda jerky and jumpy. Especially when you make hard u-turns while applying power. I just use the clutch and glide through the tight turns now. Also beause it does this it will chew up your rear tires more then normal.

OFF road. WOW it makes it so much easier. I don't worry about my tires hanging off a rock or in a trech anymore. It is just great.

And for $200 it is the best off road upgrade that I bought. and chap too
Old 08-01-2003, 03:41 PM
Banned

Thumbs up I like mine !

It's a quick install for the do it yourselfer, Albeit crucial to get the backlash right(a dial gauge helps here). One thing to consider would be that it uses the "stock" carrier. This weakens the setup a bit, if you intend on doing hard-core crawling a solid Detroit might suit your needs better. Don't get me wrong... I trust mine to get me out of a hard spot (or into one) and keep on groovin' and the added traction is waaaaaay better! If you live near snow country you'll have to learn to "drive again" with it! Just my .02 cents
Old 08-24-2004, 02:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What tools are needed for install guys?
Old 08-24-2004, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by outdoorfever
What tools are needed for install guys?
I just put mine in today in the parking lot of my buddy's apartment complex. Mines an automatic and I can hardly notice it, no joke. I bought mine used from a guy on 4x4wire for $100 shipped. Best money i've spent. I have seen some online for $189 for a v6 new.

We used basic handtools, 2 2x4's. Floor jack, jackstands, set of open end wrenches, set of sockets up to 24mm. Hammer, punch, rubber mallet. whiteout to mark things inside the 3rd. and about 2.5 quarts of fluid if its a v6. I'm sure i forgot a few things.

at least in my experience, if youve never torn apart a third before have someone there who has!
Old 08-25-2004, 12:09 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by flecker
If you live near snow country you'll have to learn to "drive again" with it! Just my .02 cents
What do you mean?
Old 08-25-2004, 12:30 PM

Has anybody checked these out? Cost, application.....
http://www.tractech.com/Products.htm
Detroit Electrac.
Seems like the best of both worlds posi all the time 100% lockup with a push of the button.
Old 08-25-2004, 01:41 PM
Contributing Member

I don't think they make one for Toys yet, could be wrong though.

I think MNBOY has detroits or lockrites in both the front and rear, has a hell of a time steering with the front locked...

Last edited by Mad Chemist; 08-25-2004 at 01:44 PM.
Old 08-25-2004, 02:06 PM

Go for it, at least out back.

The pros outweigh the cons.

Lamm
Old 08-25-2004, 02:10 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sdastg1
You might want to hold up .. I'm trying to work out a group buy on a detroit locker .. it might be a little more then the lock right .. but from I've read the detroit locker is quality, and has very little problems.
how close are you to getting that done?
Old 08-25-2004, 02:43 PM
Contributing Member

Sweet! I just recieved mine today...a few guys from the site are gonna help me. looking forward to it.
Old 08-25-2004, 03:21 PM

sounds like something I'ma have to do if you guys find any links to good deals online, it'd be great if you could post em. I have 4.10 gears and a leaky rear differential so it's the perfect time to take it apart, pop a lockright in and replace the seal
Old 08-25-2004, 03:39 PM
Contributing Member

I've had a lock right in the front of mine for 10 years. Granted I do not go off road every weekend, more like once a month or so,But it has done agreat job. and is very noticeable when in 4wd but it is not hard to turn the wheel unless on a rock or hard packed road. I have heard horror stories of these blowing up in the front diff. but have not had it happen. Yet. I just hope it doesnt.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:37 PM

Check out aussie lockers.

www.offroadlockers.com

Supposed to be smoother than the lock rite, or any other automatic locker.

Quick Reply: lock right lockers?