Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crushed 89 single cab-swapping for 89 extened cab.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crushed 89 single cab-swapping for 89 extened cab.

Hey i have found lotsof usful info on yotatech finally had to become a member. I rolled my truck twice in 2 weeks now, also my daily driver. A few questions i have are will the extended cab bolt onto my single cab frame? I am gonna build a flatbed for it. Can i leave motor in frame when i do this? Hell what cant i leave on the frame? The extended cab is electrial is uknown, but all single cab is fine. I have to change gauges cluster and such [missing from exrended cab]. Extended cab was on a V8 build. I am a profesional fabricator/Ironworker/millright. Just not to savy on what im about to do i realize i could do on some body work and be rolling again but i already bought other cab all mechanical is sound one ruptured soft brake line. Thanks. its gonna be at least 4 weekends before this is completed, maby 3 with the right knowledge.

Last edited by Terrys87; 04-16-2016 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Language
Old 04-15-2016, 12:16 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

If your a Mill wrong you can figure it out!!

The rear cab mounts might have to be moved I forget without looking

it is your project if you want to leave every thing on the frame go for it then if it is in the way you can remove it

Fess Up just how did you roll your truck twice ??

Maybe if you plan on more roll overs just drive what you have!!
Old 04-16-2016, 01:11 PM

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
Like wyoming said, the rear cab mount is moved farther back on the ext cab and I believe the crossmember for the gas tank is also going to interfere with the bottom of the cab. You will also have to take out about a foot out of the front of the bed. I have seen one done that way and considered doing it myself, but it looks kind of goofy and not proportional at all.
Old 04-16-2016, 07:05 PM

$$ lots of it ill never get back

Thanks wyoming, way to discredit and entire breed of workers . I figured it out though, not bad for a knuckledrager. I have the cab harness swapped and will be assembling the dash tomorrow. I realized the cab mounts are different but there is a bolt location on the excab that matches the single cab mounts. So i am gonna set the cab on it to locate new mount location. Also i anticipate at least 2" body lift + 4" suspension and then i dont have to flip leafs around to move rear axel away from cab. More work than i originally thought but to late to turn back. Ill keep posting pick and reference anything major i encounter. Rollovers= i quit smoking pot and had to find a neww high [ADRENALINE] seems to be more expensive so far. But my hands dont go numb anymore. First time 40mph logging roads into a swamp no big deal 1 1/2 rolls. Second time 45ish mph 1 1/2 rolls stayed on hardpack 1" pitrun less forgiving, twisted testical, glass still stuck in my elbow causing infection antibiotics working but have to see surgeon on wedensday.

Had costom fit for chevy automatic trans

So take what u need and make it work

Chainfall was the ticket. The winch was a fail and my head still hurts.

Old 04-16-2016, 11:42 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Must be a language thing in these parts being called a Mill Wrong is considered a complement you must be new to the trade.

Then after 40 years one has seen strange things.
Old 04-17-2016, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Must be a language thing in these parts being called a Mill Wrong is considered a complement you must be new to the trade.

Then after 40 years one has seen strange things.
I did take it as a compliment. If u ask me a good metal worker can do it all doesnt matter your job title, unless your union.hahaha
Old 04-17-2016, 03:40 PM

I hate aftermarket parts never close to oem

Cab mounts moved . I elevated the cab mounts 3 3/4" so they didnt interfere with anything and ill use square tubing as body lift on other 4 mounts and probably a flat washer here and there to compensate for twisted frame

Old 04-18-2016, 12:28 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
instead of a 2" body lift you mentioned, i've seen some people tub the back of the cab for tire clearance. i think there area few builds floating around the internet for xcab on single cab frames, most of them are Tacoma-based I believe, but same concept.
Old 04-25-2016, 04:31 AM

1 more week at least and it will be wheeling

Originally Posted by highonpottery
instead of a 2" body lift you mentioned, i've seen some people tub the back of the cab for tire clearance. i think there area few builds floating around the internet for xcab on single cab frames, most of them are Tacoma-based I believe, but same concept.
I went with 3 3/4" body lift and gas tank is barely toucking body, still sits on cab mounts just fine so im talking c#nt hairs. Im gonna make 1/2" spacers for the tank and use longer bolts. Also i went with Gates flex line so i could reroute filler line...not as flexible as they claim. 2 beers and some brute strength, and my mom right after she got her nails done and the cab was mounted
3"x 2"x 2"X 4 squaretubing and 3/4" X 4 rock crusher belt, leftovers from work. 7" bolts, and i have a body lift. 7/16" holes

Last edited by NWcrazy7; 04-25-2016 at 04:35 AM.