Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4Runner vs. Tacoma?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2003, 08:22 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4Runner vs. Tacoma?

Okay, this isn't likely to be a new topic, but one worth hashing out again. I find myself contemplating getting/replacing the 4Runner with a Tacoma (yes, I know I can't be the pres. of WA4ROC if I don't own a 4Runner!). So lets hear the pro's/cons of each. I've listed a couple I can think of off the top of my head:

PRO-4runner has more secure storage space for tools, gear etc. in the cab.

CON- 4Runner is alot more top heavy, has all that glass up top to worry about, probably easier to roll?

Any Tacoma owners wish they had a 4Runner, and vice versa?
Old 11-15-2003, 08:36 AM
Contributing Member

You consider a Tacoma with a camper shell?

I personally decided to go for a pickup for a few reasons - price of course was one but I really wanted more the bed of the truck. I like the option of sealing it off with either a tonneau or a shell. I don't do that though because I like having the cargo space that doesn't involve a roof.
I've moved a few people and myself and I was always very glad that I didn't have to worry about whether or not my buddies queen size mattress or sofa would fit under a roof or if it would do any damage.

But hey, that's me

BTW - doesn't a double cab Tacoma with a camper shell have more rear storage than a 4Runner?
Old 11-15-2003, 08:45 AM

I needed a 4Runner because Family.. it was either that or a Minivan... *shudder*

I guess I could have done a double cab... but I dont really IMHO like the looks of the double cab... but many do.. so i guess it was preference... that and when we went to the dealer when we were buying my wifes Corolla, they had a nice black sport looking me in the eye... I just couldnt say no...

Of course now im paying for it.. really.. lol 500 a mo for my payment, 250 something for my wifes car... and thats w/o insurance...

Hows that for pain.
Old 11-15-2003, 08:58 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Perfect timing because I'm contemplating the same thing. This is what I've come up with so far:

Tacoma:
Slightly cheaper
Potentially better rear articulation
No panhard drop needed
Everything is tucked up higher (gas tank, etc)
Better cargo space
less comfortable (can't sleep in the bed of the double cab, xtra cab bed not as comfortable as 4runner)
Need shell for security or maybe a canback.
xtra cab can't take more than 2 people.

3rd gen 4Runner:
more comfortable
can carry 4 people
Just plain nicer
Can be a member of 4roc
novelty of taking a 4runner off road (everbody expects to see a truck off road)
Doesn't need ugly camper shell.
Old 11-15-2003, 10:16 AM

If you had a Taco with a shell you would eliminate the secure cago problem and you wouldn't have to smell the grease associated with tools and spare parts.
The only 4runner I wish I had would be a older one with the removable top......those are sweet.

Ben
Old 11-15-2003, 11:13 AM
Contributing Member

Steve,

Glad to hear I'm not the only one thinking about this! As you mentioned, the rear suspension is a lot simpler, and easier to get increased articulation- no panhard, no driveshaft/gas tank interference.

I'm thinking about going with a 98 ext. cab tacoma, that way my TJM, shocks, skid plates, etc. will all transfer over without any trouble. Ideally I'd find one with the e-locker, but if not, I should be able to swap with the one in my 4runner, assuming the gear ratio is the same.
Old 11-15-2003, 11:36 AM
Contributing Member

I bought a 4Runner over a Tacoma because of it's better on road manners and usefulness for toting people around and specific cargo (I limit my cargo to non messy items). I sometimes like to be the driver and haul around more than two friend's and go out on the town which is kinda limited in a truck.

Now if 4 wheeling was a hobby like drag racing was to me then I'd opt for the Taco.
Old 11-15-2003, 12:08 PM

I have a 2000 extra cab. Sometimes I wish I had a 4runner for camping, and for hauling 4 people. You can put a person in back in the extra cab in the Tacoma. It's not that bad for a medium size person to site in back.

For security and storage, you can put a tool box in the bed. But once you do this, you don't have much bed left. But, if you get a softer leaf pack, you can't haul much anyway. If you get a tonneau cover, you can keep your camping gear dry.
Old 11-15-2003, 10:18 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Mad Chemist
Steve,

Glad to hear I'm not the only one thinking about this! As you mentioned, the rear suspension is a lot simpler, and easier to get increased articulation- no panhard, no driveshaft/gas tank interference.

I'm thinking about going with a 98 ext. cab tacoma, that way my TJM, shocks, skid plates, etc. will all transfer over without any trouble. Ideally I'd find one with the e-locker, but if not, I should be able to swap with the one in my 4runner, assuming the gear ratio is the same.
Around here it seems pretty easy to find a taco with the locker. The 4runner is harder.
Old 11-16-2003, 08:20 AM
Contributing Member

I went from a 2000 4Runner to a 99 Tacoma. I loved the 4Runner for its ability to hold more people as well as the space it provided for sleeping when camping or traveling. The flip side was the concern for all the gear in the back – roll hazard etc. The 4Runner is definitely top heavy and sways like crazy in an off-road situation. Rear end articulation is limited.

I felt the difference right away when I moved into the Taco. I found the Taco to be a much more stable platform for my off-roading activities. Rear articulation is vastly better in the Taco – and without all that additional weight (top heavy), I found that I was better able to handle off-camber situation with much more confidence.

I don’t know if I’d ever own another 4Runner (if I did, it would be a 3rd gen). They are great vehicles, but for my needs, the Tacoma is the way to go. I figure that my next new vehicle purchase would most likely be a double-cab Tacoma.
Old 11-16-2003, 08:26 AM

Originally posted by Mad Chemist
Ideally I'd find one with the e-locker, but if not, I should be able to swap with the one in my 4runner, assuming the gear ratio is the same.
Too much work, you'd have to swap the entire axles and the brackets are different for the different suspension types.
Old 11-16-2003, 08:27 AM

Originally posted by Gene
I felt the difference right away when I moved into the Taco. I found the Taco to be a much more stable platform for my off-roading activities. Rear articulation is vastly better in the Taco – and without all that additional weight (top heavy), I found that I was better able to handle off-camber situation with much more confidence.
I don't remember you ever flopping your 4runner...
Old 11-16-2003, 08:40 AM
Contributing Member

Hahhaaa!

Good point! But I have a good answer.

I never would have attempted that hole in the 4Runner in the same fashion in which I attacked it in the Taco - no way! I drive the Taco way harder than I ever would have drove the 4Runner.

And I did come close to flopping the 4Runner - on several occations! In fact, my very first WATTORA run soiled my shorts.

In the Taco, I feel more free to explore the throttle, while in the 4Runner, I knew I needed to take things easy.
Old 11-16-2003, 08:48 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Gene
And I did come close to flopping the 4Runner - on several occations! In fact, my very first WATTORA run soiled my shorts.
Glad I didn't buy your 4runner!

I think that settles it, I'm going to look for a tacoma.
Old 11-16-2003, 09:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Being a single guy who rarely has other folks with me unless I am giving my roommates a ride to the pubs, I have thought a lot about a Taco.

As I see it, they have less sheet metal, less glass, less initial cost and more power because of less weight.

They do not have a boxed rear frame though, IIRC. That annoys me and I remember at least one dude trashing his rear frame because of a bumper and carrier.

At this point, I am too tied into my runner to ditch it. I really would think about a DD Taco though. Quite practical although I don't think that it would tow the runner well at all when it becomes less streetable.
Old 11-16-2003, 01:15 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Flygtenstein
They do not have a boxed rear frame though, IIRC.
I've heard that too. Does the 3rd gen 4runner have a boxed frame?
Old 11-16-2003, 02:00 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Robinhood150
Glad I didn't buy your 4runner!

I think that settles it, I'm going to look for a tacoma.
He got the smell out of the seat, but I don't think he ever forgot the articulation lesson
Old 11-16-2003, 03:26 PM
Contributing Member

4Runner Vs Taco

An open bed is sometimes people's trash cans. :pat:
Old 11-16-2003, 04:20 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Robinhood150
I've heard that too. Does the 3rd gen 4runner have a boxed frame?
Yes, fully boxed the entire way.

There is also a "mentality" difference. Pickup versus SUV.
Old 11-16-2003, 05:55 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Owned both

I've owned a 96 Taco (98K miles in three years), a 97 4Runner (the wife's), a 99 Taco and now a 2000 4Runner, and I must say for versatility I prefer the 4Runner. If I was going strictly for a trail rig the Taco would win hands down, but considering there is nothing I can't do in my 4Runner that I can do in a Taco and there are several things I can do in my 4Runner that I can't do in a Taco, I prefer the 4Runner for my daily driver. All have been 4 wheel drives with comparible equipment. Either way is a win situation as they are both excellent vehicles.

Quick Reply: 4Runner vs. Tacoma?