99+ Tundra, 00+ Sequoia, 98+ Land Cruiser/LX470 Late model full size trucks and SUVs

Using an 05 4.7L V8 Tundra to tow a 90 22RE Short Cab...

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Using an 05 4.7L V8 Tundra to tow a 90 22RE Short Cab...

Title is pretty self explanatory.. what do you guys think of this?

I'm using a Uhaul tow dolly to tow a Honda Fit 1000 miles right now. The Tundra has no problem going up moderate hills at 70 without downshifting.

I need to tow my broken 1990 Short Can truck about 100 miles. The only thing is I need to go through a mountain pass. It's not too bad but worth mentioning that I'm looking at 20 some miles of climbing up to 9k feet.

Any input appreciated. I just got the tundra with 116k miles and I don't want to ask too much of it!
Old 07-28-2017, 06:08 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
You may have already completed your trip but in case, and for others browsing along, it's a good idea to consider the grade % of the routes you're considering, the time of the year, and whether or not you can put tire chains on your drive wheels if the weather (and the law) gave you no choice. If the SUV I drive is about 4000 lbs, your owners manual should be able to give you the confidence that your Tundra can. But you have to consider the weight of the trailers, which can be up to another 2000 lbs, if its the auto transport option.

The other factor to consider is the fact that since you just got the truck, so you really have no idea what shape it was in prior to you owning it, so before you climb that mountain pass it be good to change the vital fluids (especially oil and coolant, even brake fluid) and make sure your brakes aren't gonna fade/warp out on you once you go down the pass. Better have like-new treads too, not over 6 yrs old.

If you're thinking of towing the truck only on one axle, do know that most trucks are rear-wheel drive, so it's trickier to tow them (backwards facing, unless its a manual trans) than cars that are front wheel drive, like the Honda Fit. It's not recommended to tow rear wheel drive vehicles with auto trans on one axle without securing the steering wheel (not locking it) or you're in for a dangerous fishtail scenario and/or steering/suspension damage.

If it's climbing up during the warm months, what I do is turn off the a/c and just roll my windows...that will let the engine focus its rpms where it matters, so the risks of overheating are much less. In fact there could be signs advising that. Those 20 miles up will be your most exciting, but the last 20 can be your most scary.

And if you really wanna be gentle on it, fight the urge to speed up. Nothing's more regretful than being one of those who are stuck pulled over at the top with a blown head gasket/radiator or worse, down at the bottom of a ravine or cliff.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by 75w90mantraN; 07-28-2017 at 06:20 PM.