99+ Tundra, 00+ Sequoia, 98+ Land Cruiser/LX470 Late model full size trucks and SUVs
Old 03-18-2016, 11:23 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:
Browse all: Toyota Tundra 4WD - Four Wheel Drive Guides
Print Wikipost

Tundra 4wd conversion

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 07:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zlathim
Are you doing 4 wheel burnouts with that thing yet?
unfortunately, no. I'm really struggling to find enough time to spend on this project right now. i should have some pics of more electrical progress soon and then its back to spinning wrenches.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I hear you, budgeting time is harder than budgeting money sometimes. Here's to hoping you find time to get after it soon
Old 09-07-2008, 09:50 AM

hey man nice work

I hae do this swap to my 2006 tundra since i bought i cause i am loosing so much for a trade or ot right sale. If we could keep in touch maybe i can get some guidance i get a lot of good info form the references youput on here andim amtryign to go low budget just the same so let me know
thanks
Old 09-07-2008, 09:51 AM

dont mind the spelling i acc. sent it lol
Old 09-07-2008, 10:16 AM
Contributing Member

Location: Houston (home), Atlanta (school), Cincinnati (work)
looks like you made a lot of progress but man i hate dealing with wiring! i'm thankful that mine is fully manual with the exception of the ADD. any new updates?
Old 09-08-2008, 09:09 AM

some updates

a little bit of progress to post. I've been holding off on everything else till the wiring was complete, and the wiring had been waiting on getting a harness to pull pins out of. I just won and paid for an 98 camry engine harness of ebay so that should be here soon and the wiring will get finished up once and for all (i hope).

the front diff ADD motor harness from the '08 FJC does fit perfectly on the transfer case motor, so that is good news. it basically looks exactly like the one i cut up earlier, but is about 8" long instead of a couple feet.

in other news, the transmission mount i got doesnt fit quite right, but is close enough i think i can make it fit, but it will be a little shorter when the "wings" are bent out to match the angle of my transmission mounting surfaces. this will make it a little shorter, but hopefully it will let the t-case front output clear the cross member.

also i tried to mount the tacoma VSS, but the gear is too big to mesh with the gear in the transmission. there were two styles of VSS, early and late, one with a slightly larger gear diameter than the other. i'll have to check the with Jim at Inchworm and see if he sent me the bigger geared version (i think he did) which would indicate that i need the small gear version.

a better update with pics of all the wiring details will be up soon when i get my harness from ebay.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:16 PM

First off I want to say excellent job. Down the road I'd love to do this to my 04 Sequoia. I've regretted not getting a 4wd but they didn't have any 4x4s in Marlin Blue Pearl which was what the family wanted. When it's not everyone's favorite, it'll become my newest 4x4.

I have a question on the wiring. Is the one connector you need the harness for the only one missing the wiring? Is the wiring to the cluster and the switch panel and TCCU complete? If so, would it be simpler to find a wrecked Tundra/Sequoia and pull the 4x4 harness from it so that everything is a complete drop in? I'm assuming (I know, make an ass of me) that the picture that is 'missing' the wires is the one that goes out and controls the 4wd system outside the body.

I'm impressed that nobody has told you to sell it and get a 4wd Tundra. Even though this is a lot of work you have something you can be proud of.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:55 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Where it always works if you work it, in Sunny Selinsgrove, PA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ZuCruTrooper2
I'm impressed that nobody has told you to sell it and get a 4wd Tundra. Even though this is a lot of work you have something you can be proud of.
+1
Old 09-16-2008, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by ZuCruTrooper2
First off I want to say excellent job. Down the road I'd love to do this to my 04 Sequoia. I've regretted not getting a 4wd but they didn't have any 4x4s in Marlin Blue Pearl which was what the family wanted. When it's not everyone's favorite, it'll become my newest 4x4.

I have a question on the wiring. Is the one connector you need the harness for the only one missing the wiring? Is the wiring to the cluster and the switch panel and TCCU complete? If so, would it be simpler to find a wrecked Tundra/Sequoia and pull the 4x4 harness from it so that everything is a complete drop in? I'm assuming (I know, make an ass of me) that the picture that is 'missing' the wires is the one that goes out and controls the 4wd system outside the body.

Thanks.

yes, the plug that i show the blank pins in is the only one missing the wiring. the dash side to the console buttons, gauge cluster, ECU and 4wd controller is all complete.

it might be easier to replace that harness with a 4wd version, but it would be expensive and i would rather just run the extra wires to the 4wd parts and not have to re-run all the other parts of that harness.

p.s. still waiting on my harness from ebay.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:19 PM

wow, ne updates? wouldnt it have been easier to make it manual then deal with all the wires?
Old 01-08-2009, 07:33 AM

i haven't posted in a long time because i haven't made much progress. wiring is run through the dash and connected to the harness. other than that not much.

i got engaged a few months back so that, the weather (my driveway is full of ice and snow), work and the holidays have taken almost all of my time.

i have some pictures of the wiring to put up some time soon. i'm hoping to get to the re'gear as soon as i get a free weekend and a break in the weather.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:07 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Dang, Totally forgot to subscribe to this thread, I wanna see it goin !!
Keep up the good work man !

Old 01-08-2009, 09:24 AM

Talked me into it

Originally Posted by caligula455
i haven't posted in a long time because i haven't made much progress. wiring is run through the dash and connected to the harness. other than that not much.

i got engaged a few months back so that, the weather (my driveway is full of ice and snow), work and the holidays have taken almost all of my time.

i have some pictures of the wiring to put up some time soon. i'm hoping to get to the re'gear as soon as i get a free weekend and a break in the weather.
Hey I just found this thread and I think you have just talked me into doing the same on my truck instead of trading it in on a 4x4. I have read thru the entire thing and I just was wondering about the rear diff. Are you just changing out the gear to match the fwd diff? and what is the ratio you are going with?

Thanks, you are awesome!
Old 01-08-2009, 03:04 PM

2006 ecu

I have found a 2006 tundra that was rolled over. So I worked it out with the yard owner to get all the parts I need from it. But my truck is a 2000 and does not have ABS. Do you know if i will still be able to use the 2006 4x4 ecu?
Old 01-09-2009, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Jwbenninger
I have found a 2006 tundra that was rolled over. So I worked it out with the yard owner to get all the parts I need from it. But my truck is a 2000 and does not have ABS. Do you know if i will still be able to use the 2006 4x4 ecu?
i would be pretty sure that you can't use the 2006 ecu without a lot of extra work. but fortunately you dont need to, just keep your stock ecu. Not having ABS will make it a little simpler and you can go manual hubs easier as well.

right now i have the 4wd controller plugged into the harness with the stock ecu and its working fine. the 4hi and 4lo lights on the gage cluster and dash are blinking becuase the transfer case isnt plugged in, but other than that its fine.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Jwbenninger
Are you just changing out the gear to match the fwd diff? and what is the ratio you are going with?
yes, i'm just changing the ring and pinion. they are stock 4.11 out of a tacoma, out of the same tacoma that the front diff came from actually.

i never asked, but it makes some difference on the wiring, is your tundra v8, v6, auto manual? you could save a lot of trouble with the electronics and put in a manual shift transfer case and just cut a hole in the floor.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:35 AM

More parts

So after alot of searching I was able to locate all the parts I need from a 2000 so everything should work just fine. But i am running into the same problem you had with matching the rear diff, mine has 3.42 gears. I am running 265 75R 16 BFG's and the front diff I found has 4.10 gears (A03A). Is that the same gear you have? Do you think that will work well with my tires?
Old 01-09-2009, 01:21 PM

i'm assuming your truck is v8 and auto. are you sure you have 3.42 gears and not 3.91? and yes, i'm using the 4.10 but bumping up to 33" tires so the net change is pretty minimal as far as gearing.

keeping the stock tire size with 4.10 would gear you down a bit so your engine would be revving a bit more than normal, only by about 5 percent though assuming you have a 3.9,( it would be 20% off if your gears really are 3.42)

make sure to start a thread when you get started. also, if you run across a spare transmission mount for a v8 auto 4x4, i'm still looking for one.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:41 PM

Denver

I drove to denver today to pick up all my conversion parts. Unfortunatelly they were still firmly attached to the junk truck. So I will have to make that drive again on Wed. Im getting;

Front diff 4:10
R/H and L/H spindles
Tranny
Crossmember (what's the diference?)
transfercase
4x4 ecu (this truck didnt have ABS either)
wiring harness (so i dont have to go thru what you did)

Still need

4x4 buttons
front cv shafts (leaning toward just ordering lifetime ones from napa unless i can find a real good deal)
rear drive shaft
4:10 rear gears

anything im forgetting, or anything i should be aware of when im looking for these parts?

Jim
Old 01-11-2009, 09:55 AM

you'll also need:
  • transmission mount (different from 2wd)
  • front drive shaft

you should really get the wiring diagrams too, even if you have the harness, its good to know what your connecting.

the difference in the cross members is that the 2wd has a hump in the middle and 4wd doesnt which makes room for the transfer case and front drive shaft.

Quick Reply: Tundra 4wd conversion