99+ Tundra, 00+ Sequoia, 98+ Land Cruiser/LX470 Late model full size trucks and SUVs
Old 03-18-2016, 11:23 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:
Browse all: Toyota Tundra 4WD - Four Wheel Drive Guides
Print Wikipost

Tundra 4wd conversion

Old 06-25-2008, 05:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
caligula- Awesome detailed build thread. This is the kind of tech that made me a regular at YT.com.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wiring diagram

Major progress today. I finally paid to download the 2000 tundra diagram from TIS and now everything is looking up.

I took the glove box out and found two big connectors.

the white connector on the right is the harness to harness connector for all the 4wd connections. the wires for the 4wd circuits aren't on this side, but are in the other connector.

here is the circuits that i'll need to be added

i can either add pins to the connector or cut the wire on the other side and splice into them. i'd like to do it right, but i'll have to find the pins and if its too much trouble i'm not going to bother.

In other news, i have a transfer case controller ordered and it should be here monday.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Usually a "pickle bar" will do the trick ... about $10 at Autozone
Old 06-26-2008, 12:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oops, never mind, that was about the ball joints! DOH
Old 06-26-2008, 05:51 PM

So far, here is what i've learned from reading over the EWD

There is a 4LO signal that is passed around when the transfer case shifts, that goes to the ECM and to the ABS computer. the ABS computer also gets a signal when the ADD engages. These paths should already be in place since these connections are made through the main dash harness. I'm not sure what the 2wd ecu will do with the signal or what it will do when i engage the transfer case. I don't see why it should care unless it thinks there is a problem with the transmission when i'm in 4LO since the final clutch speed sensor and the vehicle speed sensor wont be the same speed anymore. I guess we'll all find out pretty soon.

On the subject of the harness, there are several parts to the harness joined together by harness-to-harness connectors. the main backbone of the harness runs along the width of the dash and is what appears to be the same between 2wd/4wd. the branches come off of this, one on both sides into the engine compartment, to the doors, to the back of the truck, etc. The branches are where they don't make all the connections and run the extra wires if they don't need them, i.e. the branch side of the white connector above which has the wires for various other things, but not the 4wd parts.

Fortunately the 4wd controller, the instrument panel, console buttons, ecu and abs computer are all directly off of the main harness which saves me a lot of work. this means all those connections are already made, though they aren't being used right now. in the case of the 4wd controller the plug is just hanging there waiting.

what i have to do to complete the wiring is either splice off the main harness side of that connector or insert pins into the branch side connector to extend the harness out to the 4wd components.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:11 AM

I think you will be happier with the over all job if you get new pins and utilize the connectors. A splice job just doesn't go along with all the other detailed work you've been doing to make this conversion factory-like.

You should be able to get the pins from Toyota easily enough.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:36 AM

that's definitely what i'd like to do. i haven't called a dealer yet to ask them but i need some other little things too i'm sure and i might as well get all that taken care of. maybe i can run into the parts counter on my way home from work today and try and sort it out.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:59 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
I've been following your thread, very nice.
and good luck with the connectors and pins and whatnot
Old 06-30-2008, 05:56 AM

Post-Weekend update?
Old 06-30-2008, 11:07 AM

not a whole lot of progress this weekend. i did make the harness to the ADD motor, just have to run it at cut it to length. i took part of the stock harness, cut off the connector i dont need, solderd on some labeled wires and put it all in split wire loom.

i have wires cut and labeled for the transfer case connections but i need to get the connectors and see how much wire loom i have left from the front. should be enough to do both with what i have.

i'll post some pictures tonight. i'm going to stop at a dealerships parts counter tonight and see about getting the connector pins on the way home from work so i'll post any news from that as well.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:26 AM

wiring harness and connectors

here is the connector i cut off the short ADD harness. i peeled the wires out of the loom and staggered the cuts so the splices weren't all in the same spot which makes the bundle really thick.

here is a picture of the extended ADD motor harness. I'm going to run this in the split loom up to the firewall and then run bundled wires behind the dash.

the wires are 16ga and since they are all green i put labels on both ends to help put them in the right spot

i ordered some of the connectors, here are the ones for the transfer case. i'll need the pins for these too and then i won't need to swap the switches. i included the part numbers in the pictures for reference

here is the transfer shift motor and ADD motor connectors. you can see that those black things around the pins slide out when you insert the pins in the connector.

finally the 4wd controller came in today too.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:08 AM

Nice work on the harness! This is going to be an excellent reference thread. Keep up the good work.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:50 AM

toyota connector pins

i have a connector pin update.

the good news is that the pins are available from toyota as a "repair wire" which has the connector pre-cripmed to ~4" of wire. part# 82998-12750 is for what they call the type "C" pin which is smaller than what i need. not sure of the other repair wire part numbers for the larger pins.

The bad news is that the connectors are ONLY available as the "repair wires" and that they are $13 A PIECE!!

i'm trying to find a compatible pin from TYCO or AMP who make most of the connectors for toyota. i'll post what i find.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:02 AM

Ouch! I hope you can find them from one of those other sources. It would be better to get just the crimpable pins anyway. Only 4" of wire might make it hard to stagger the connections enough to avoid the "snake that just ate a rabbit" look to the loom.

Good luck, I hope it works out in your favor.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:49 AM

just a quick update:

the past couple weeks have been crazy busy at work plus two weddings and a Bon Jovi concert means i haven't done much of anything on the truck.

the one thing i have done is plug in the 4wd controller and turned the truck on. the 4hi and 4lo lights both blink on the dash buttons and on the instrument panel. looks promising for everything plugging in and working, i'll let you know what happens when i get the wiring harness done.

also it has been suggested to me that i buy an engine or body wiring harness from just about any Toyota or Lexus. there are only a couple types of pins and they are common to the entire Toyota range so any given harness should have plenty for me to use. any one have an engine harness they don't need? doesnt have to be from anything in particular, just a Toyota.

more to follow soon, looking forward to digging into the real mechanical stuff again.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:03 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Where it always works if you work it, in Sunny Selinsgrove, PA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by caligula455
just a quick update:

the past couple weeks have been crazy busy at work plus two weddings and a Bon Jovi concert means i haven't done much of anything on the truck.

the one thing i have done is plug in the 4wd controller and turned the truck on. the 4hi and 4lo lights both blink on the dash buttons and on the instrument panel. looks promising for everything plugging in and working, i'll let you know what happens when i get the wiring harness done.

also it has been suggested to me that i buy an engine or body wiring harness from just about any Toyota or Lexus. there are only a couple types of pins and they are common to the entire Toyota range so any given harness should have plenty for me to use. any one have an engine harness they don't need? doesnt have to be from anything in particular, just a Toyota.

more to follow soon, looking forward to digging into the real mechanical stuff again.
actually, I was just at Radio shack, and they have nice female and male connectors, CHEAP with the un-crimped pins in them. 6, 9, or 12 pin available. I think it was less than 8 bucks for a male/female connector set... might work better for ya then reusing connectors.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by bigtrucknwheels
actually, I was just at Radio shack, and they have nice female and male connectors, CHEAP with the un-crimped pins in them. 6, 9, or 12 pin available. I think it was less than 8 bucks for a male/female connector set... might work better for ya then reusing connectors.
the reason i need the harness is to get the pins to insert into the existing wiring harness connector (see a few posts above) and to connect to the sensors and motors on the transfer case and differential. looks like i have a line on a 4runner engine harness that should do the trick. i may need to put some connectors in just to break up the harness into reasonable lengths, so thanks for the RS tip.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:15 AM
Contributing Member

Location: Where it always works if you work it, in Sunny Selinsgrove, PA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by caligula455
the reason i need the harness is to get the pins to insert into the existing wiring harness connector (see a few posts above) and to connect to the sensors and motors on the transfer case and differential. looks like i have a line on a 4runner engine harness that should do the trick. i may need to put some connectors in just to break up the harness into reasonable lengths, so thanks for the RS tip.
yeah, I re-read that later on, but didn't edit my post. sorry haha. but is still an awesome project.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:15 AM

Another update:

Things have continued to be really hectic, but I received my parts from Inchworm so now i have another front dif wiring harness (from an '08 FJC but same connector) for the transfercase motor, new switches for the transfer case, a new speed sensor for the case and a speedo signal converter to adjust for final tire/gearing.

i'll get pictures up soon, hopefully tonight and start installing parts soon as well. i should have just about everything to get the front end wired up for good and put the transfer case in teh bed of the truck and shift into 4HI and 4LO using the buttons on the dash.

anyone want to help install a transmission or rear gears some time soon?
Old 08-19-2008, 06:57 AM

Are you doing 4 wheel burnouts with that thing yet?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tundra 4wd conversion