99+ Tundra, 00+ Sequoia, 98+ Land Cruiser/LX470 Late model full size trucks and SUVs

aa1911's '08 Sequoia SR5 4x4 and 5.7L monster machine

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 04:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
left the gaps alone on the plugs as they are supposed to be set already, checked them carefully and they seemed to be dead on from the FSM (I should say the snippet of FSM i managed to find, no Haynes or Chilton for this thing yet, krikey...)

Brakes went smooth, pulled almost all of the fluid out of the MC resevoir with a bulb and then a 10cc syringe to reach all the way in there. Fluid was yellow, no good. Most assuredly this is the factory fill, first time in 4+ years anyone has done this.

Name:  P1280276.jpg
Views: 1977
Size:  84.6 KB

blah...
Name:  P1280275.jpg
Views: 1937
Size:  43.0 KB

used this stuff, exceeds the recommended no.116 and whatever the other number was. Used this to do my brakes and clutch MC's in my other two yotas, 2 bottles pretty much did 'em all with a little left over.

Name:  P1280277.jpg
Views: 1961
Size:  161.2 KB

so here is a funny side note; all of our 4runners/tacos have 10mm bleed screw fittings, this thing has 8mm in the rear but 10mm up front????? what is the point of that? the front ones are recessed far enough in they were kinda a PITA to get at with my little combo wrench. for sure need a combo wrench with an offset for the next bleed.

Topped off the resevoir and took her for a test drive, engine making full power, no CEL or strange noises and full braking power, good to hook!

next will be power steering and a transmission flush before too long; might pay toyota to do the tranny and get the good fluid, not sure yet though.

Also today, sold my old meats off my Taco to add to the ARB bumper fund for this thing; got $125 for them thru CL, woo hoo!
Old 02-17-2012, 05:56 PM

Went ahead and ordered my ARB front bumper today, jeezus, I can't wait for tax season to come to fruition... my credit card is not doin' so well right now..... will get some money back from uncle sugar shortly...

anyway, ordered from a buddy at 4WheelParts here in Tacoma, even with discounts and no shipping/instore pickup, I walked away dang near $2K poorer today... ouch....

ramen noodles for dinner tonight???

Anyway, pulled the part number from ARB's website, matches Tundra/Sequoia from '07 thru 2012, anything after 2010 requires grille modification so no worries for me there.

The other side note (#3 to be exact) was that heavier springs will be necessary to return stock ride. According to 4Wparts computer, the bumper weights in at a whopping 250lbs!!!! thats about 75 over what I had figured.... oh well...

so the next decision once this beast is installed is to decide to just do front coils or go all out and do full suspension/shocks... comin' up on the time for new shocks anyway....

hmmmm.... I'm sure it will handle the weight fine for the time being, but for sure expecting to lose a good inch in front end droop.

shows up Monday, install to soon follow! and of course, there will be some super pics when this thing is on, hahahha! can't wait
Old 02-18-2012, 07:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dang, its like you building it in to a tank haha
Old 02-18-2012, 12:37 PM

hee hee... it will be a monster for sure. I don't want to lose all of my radiators and other front end vitals if I smoke a deer at highway speeds; also makes for a great zombie apocolypse getaway vehicle! hahahaa... maybe I should weld some spikes on it...

looking at HD springs, can't decide if I just want to do all four corners now or just the front springs; might just do front springs for now and then full suspension later, about a 2.5" lift total. After doing the OME HD's on my truck (and lovin' it), I might just opt for a full kit and lift this joker the 2.5" and be able to load this sucker down heavy (as we always do when we go camping, I bring enough guns/ammo and beer/food to sink a small ship).

The 'lift' is really to keep it close to stock height when fully loaded from what I gather, empty, she will be sitting up just a tad. No problem there!
Old 02-18-2012, 12:40 PM

here is a dream (to soon come true) pic of what she will look like. In black too! this was off of ARBUSA's site...

Name:  ARBSequoia.jpg
Views: 1980
Size:  14.7 KB

muahhahahhaa!
Old 02-19-2012, 08:05 AM

That look tough. Looks like it would plow down zombies haha
Old 02-22-2012, 05:01 PM

All right fellas, ARB has arrived!! Holy bajeezus, this thing is redonkulous, I love it! Came in the usual giant crate, bolted to the bottom with 4 lag screws and then a smaller box inside with all the extra install goodies.

This will be a much more involved project than the hour or so it took to do my truck (with only one friend to help); will need at least two men (and maybe a horse) to do this... I was right tho; the bumper itself weights around 175lb but the brackets and other hardware, skidplate, etc... it for certain rings in at every bit of 250lbs I'm betting.

hee hee hee....
Name:  P2220381.jpg
Views: 1956
Size:  140.5 KB

did a pretty good job of filling my Taco bed....

Name:  P2220379.jpg
Views: 1965
Size:  83.8 KB

pulled the cardboard deal off and began pulling it off the bed:
Name:  P2220387.jpg
Views: 1942
Size:  172.8 KB

hahaha! armor at it's finest....
Name:  P2220393.jpg
Views: 1958
Size:  196.3 KB

yeah, so this was an understatement, hahahaha!

Name:  P2220389.jpg
Views: 1953
Size:  75.5 KB
Old 02-22-2012, 05:05 PM

the install manual online is 20 pages.... jeez....

here's all the goodies layed out....
Name:  P2220396.jpg
Views: 1984
Size:  228.1 KB

these suckers are heavy, maybe 20lbs?? crikey...

Name:  P2220398.jpg
Views: 1953
Size:  130.7 KB

and some nice new turn signals.....

Name:  P2220399.jpg
Views: 1973
Size:  109.3 KB

and ye ole skid plate, woo hoo!

Name:  P2220397.jpg
Views: 1998
Size:  171.8 KB
Old 02-22-2012, 06:18 PM

That is GORGEOUS!

I may pick your brain in the future about that tool bag. I have a Consew 226 industrial sewing machine sitting here doing nothing. I want to make myself some seat covers and bags to. gotta learn to sew first though I guess!
Old 02-22-2012, 07:37 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
install party at your house on saturday?
Old 02-22-2012, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by GenXr
That is GORGEOUS!

I may pick your brain in the future about that tool bag. I have a Consew 226 industrial sewing machine sitting here doing nothing. I want to make myself some seat covers and bags to. gotta learn to sew first though I guess!

will be glad to send you designs that will be easy to sew; recommend just sewing as much stuff as you can to get used to the machine and it's capabilities. A lot of the first stuff you make may not impress you very much but you will get much better the more you sew.

I look at stuff I made 10 years ago and think, wow, what garbage; but in reality it just 'looks' crappy, it's actually pretty strong; just pulled out a very old chest rig I made for shotgun shooting and used it the last two weekends and was pretty happy.

Any sewing advice I can give just ask; I can give you reputable suppliers and advice on fabric/thread, etc....

most industrial repair shops will offer some 'under the table' instruction for your machine for a small price. worth it!
Old 02-22-2012, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by vital22re
install party at your house on saturday?

I'm seriously considering it! I want this joker on soon and out of my (cluttered) garage. I think I have all the tools, will need to add a friend for some muscle but I think a short day will have this thing up and runnin'.

I need to look thru all of the instructions better and figure out if I'm missing anything, I think I need some caulking adhesive and some other random garbage; also have to find someone local to add to the party to help out.

shoot me a text tomorrow, but I've been putting out the word so should be able to get an install party set up soon. I pay in beer or whatever works!

Thanks vital!
Old 02-22-2012, 08:40 PM

oh, and no winch going on, but stock fog lights to wire in and the new turn signals, license plate are the only 'add ons' for now.... the instructions showed drilling holes on the vehicle but no welding so should be fine. I don't have a big floor jack, might want one of those but I do have my new hi-lift and a few jack stands... instructions said up to 25mm socket???? not sure what that's about... got some reading to do tomorrow...
Old 02-23-2012, 10:49 AM

OK, I have at least one other maybe for Saturday, Vital, you wanna come lug on this beast with me? Saturday is lookin' good. (other than the weather....) some say clouds but reading we might be getting some rain.

Got nowhere to do this inside but will throw up my canopy and tarp off of the garage and we can stay mostly dry. I plan on pulling all the crap off the front and have everything ready to go by friday night.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:47 PM

Received 216 Likes on 158 Posts
Dang I wan't one!!! Cant wait to see pics!!! I am planning on this also but getting the important stuff done first then I will have one....oh I will
Old 02-24-2012, 05:23 PM

OK, got started! got rained on for a good 3 or 4 hours today doing this, didn't help things much but whatever...

I do want to take this opportunity to wish bad things on whoever used an impact gun on my stock skid plate (5 bolts, 12mm), I used breaker bar, 6 point socket, no avail... finally busted out my own impact gun and jacked up the frame to clear the extension to get at it; broke the bolt but got it out and will be able to have about 1/4" of clearance when I install a new bolt. Pretty sure torque spec on skid plate bolts is not 300 ft/lbs.....

Not even going to mess with pics and photobucket right now but will post the finished project tomorrow, install to be completed then.

Pulled the plastic 'bumper' off, lower inner fender trim panels, the 'real' bumper, a crossbeam and hose, and mounted the brackets up to the chassis.

Got started on the bumper a little, got the turn signals in (which won't work until I tap into the existing ones, Tundras are a bit different). Some of the install instructions are a little bit different but so far all is fitting good. I wasn't real happy with the turn signal mounts tho, 2 weak plastic snaps and screws, and there's a gap when looking from above.... might need to mod that later.... just seems weak, completely unlike everything else on this so far...

need to pull the fog lights from the stock plastic crap and mount them into the ARB and wire them up, install skidplates and brace, fit bumper, tighten and go!

I did have to remove the transmission cooler cover/air inductor thingamajigger, I might relocate the tranny cooler about an inch or so to the right so if I do impact anything, the bracket won't smoosh it; the mounting bracket (pass side btw...) is only about an inch and change from the cooler, should be too easy to move it over and possibly re-install the cover.

Anyway, wet and cold, it's pizza and beer thirty, gonna call it a night; tomorrow back at it and then some pics. (lots of 'em too, beware....)
Old 02-24-2012, 09:41 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
I'll be there buddy. Just need to make a dump run at 9.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:55 PM

Those sequoias are awesome, my mom has one and I absolutely love driving that thing. The most comfy vehicle I have ridden in. Looking forward to the rest of the build.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by stockwell45
Those sequoias are awesome, my mom has one and I absolutely love driving that thing. The most comfy vehicle I have ridden in. Looking forward to the rest of the build.
They ARE great! can't believe and totally don't understand why there are not more of these and more who want one. It is a smooth giant cadillac for sure.... Fairly capable offroad rig... fills a lot of rolls very well... muscle car, soccer mom car, camping/offroad assault rig... you name it!

I guess the number one reason would be the $$ although an equivalent suburban or expedition isn't really any cheaper... With all the Tundras rolling around, just don't get the lack of Sequoias. anywhooo...

Install complete!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! pics coming in a sec...
Old 02-25-2012, 06:57 PM

Too lazy to do a full write up at the moment but by tomorrow I should have a good one complete. here's some teasers....

Before.....
Name:  P2240400.jpg
Views: 1982
Size:  134.7 KB

AFTER !!! hahhaaa!
Name:  P2250436.jpg
Views: 3886
Size:  142.3 KB

need to do the fog light inserts and mess with the stock skid plate with how it mates up to the stone guard but all is done! Now for some IPF lights..... and wire up the turn signals....

Quick Reply: aa1911's '08 Sequoia SR5 4x4 and 5.7L monster machine