99+ Tundra, 00+ Sequoia, 98+ Land Cruiser/LX470 Late model full size trucks and SUVs

1st Sequoia experience: underwhelmed

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st Sequoia experience: underwhelmed

I've been a Toyota fan all my life and had multiple Toyotas including my 1997 4-runner with 220k on it which I love. I've never actually driven a Tundra or Sequoia even though I've spent many hours shopping them on Craigslist.

Today I saw a dealer near my house (small town, hadn't seen a Sequoia on a lot in months) had a white 07 limited 4x45 so I stopped and took it for a spin. It claimed to have 129k on it but was very rough. DVD & Navigation and they are only asking $14,900 and said they were flexible. It had some hail damage on the hood, passenger front door interior handle was ripped off. All of the leather looked old and dried out, even 3rd row. I guess it is almost 8 years old and likely had not ever seen a garage. There was a maintenance required and a fluid (??) level light on. It felt a bit sluggish compared to my Runner, didn't have any mid range power and was slow to downshift. The brakes were quite soft and had warped rotors. I told the salesman I thought it was priced right but I'd rather have one with more miles that had been babied and maintained. It was quite a disappointment.

One question: there was a button to the left of the steering that said something like "MCRS" (can't remember exactly). What is that button for?

Can you disable the traction control on Sequoias or is it always on like the newer 4-Runners?
Old 08-13-2014, 09:07 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
run, don't walk away

sounds like this rig is beat up and they're asking a premium price tag on it.

if you're looking for a larger Toyota SUV, consider the 100-series Land Cruiser - can be found for similar pricing with similar miles these days. if you've ever sat in a 10yr old 100-series, you wouldn't usually know unless the owner didn't care for it, since they were the flagship of Toyota and came with the best of what was offered at the time. it will be slightly smaller in the 2nd row and cargo area, but will do everything the big tree does and perhaps better too. to me, a tailgate rear hatch for sitting on vs roll-down window that sucks in exhaust, is something more useful to me. Supposedly the big trees are good rigs and plenty of people drive them, but it's really just the toyota response to something like a Tahoe or Expedition and nothing more. Here is a current discussion of 100 vs Sequoia to give you a more thorough comparison.

The RSCA button you refered to is for turning off the airbags when driving offroad - Roll Sensing Curtain Airbags.