99+ Tundra, 00+ Sequoia, 98+ Land Cruiser/LX470 Late model full size trucks and SUVs
Old 03-18-2016, 01:04 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Toyota Tundra 4WD - Four Wheel Drive Guides
Print Wikipost

'03 Tundra Payload increase

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 05:10 AM
krj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 Tundra Payload increase

Has anyone out there increased, or know of anyone who has, the payload capacity of a Tundra? I'm not talking about adding air biscuits or quick fixes like that. I'm talking about an axle swap or something that would truly increases capacity.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:22 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Why?

Old 07-15-2010, 07:33 PM
krj

Why?! A fabricator asking someone why they want to customize their truck? No comprende.
Just kidding.
Short answer: Because its there.
Long answer: None of the major manufacturers called me to ask what I want as an ideal truck.
I love my Tundra; cab size, comfort, quality, best d!@n sun-visors in the business, runs great and reliable. BUT, I would like to be able to fit a little more firewood in the back before I'm overloaded. Also, it would be nice to have a few more selections of usable slide in campers.
While I have your attention, here's my pipe dream. Keep in mind the current truck(not the one in my avatar, thats another project all together) is an '03 extra cab Tundra. Yank the cab, extend wheelbase to that of a normal extended cab long bed(think Ford F150 extended cab long box), beef up the rear axle and put an 8' flatbed on it.
Could it be as easy as getting a hold of a drive shaft from a standard cab long bed Tundra, moving some suspension mounts backwards and bolting on a different, beefier rear axle and mating drive shaft to said bigger axle? Let me know what you think.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by krj
Could it be as easy as getting a hold of a drive shaft from a standard cab long bed Tundra, moving some suspension mounts backwards and bolting on a different, beefier rear axle and mating drive shaft to said bigger axle? Let me know what you think.
I doubt it, I believe the wheelbase is the same between the Access Cab(6ft bed) and the regular cab(8ft bed). I'm pretty sure all the underpinnings and running gear are identical and only the cabs and beds are different. That shouldn't stop someone determined though; you can make (or have made) driveshafts to any length. How far can the rear spring hangars move back? Can you extend the frame safely to gain the wheelbase you need? Boxing the C-channel to beef it up?

On a side note, I have a personal best of 2300 lbs of pea gravel I hauled for a 3 hour tour around DC (40 mph), the Airlift aircells helped do that....
Old 07-25-2010, 03:21 PM
krj

Good point. Maybe a drive shaft from a domestic extra-cab long bed with corresponding axle and suspension. Just pipe dreams at this stage (have other projects to finish first) and was wondering if anyone else had pulled it off.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:40 AM

Frame isn't up to the task. Unless you plan to box it from the b-pillar back, adding 1-ton and adding 1-ton axle/suspension, you're out of luck froma payload perspective.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:53 PM
krj

Thanks for the input rockota.
Don't think I need/want full 1ton capacity, 3/4ton would be more than enough.
Like I said earlier, this is an idea/pipe dream, I haven't done a lot of research as of yet. What is the limitation of the current frame in regards to increased payload? Is there any reason I couldn't box it from the b-pillar back and extend it to get an 8' bed with the current extra cab configuration? WabFab (hope I didn't scare you off), what do you think?
Ultimately what I would like to do is to add an old Sunrader camper coach to the back and end up with something more reasonably sized (space and power wise) than a Toyota MH but smaller than an Earth Roamer or Tiger CX.