99+ Tundra, 00+ Sequoia, 98+ Land Cruiser/LX470 Late model full size trucks and SUVs

02 Sequoia - Am I lucky or not?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 Sequoia - Am I lucky or not?

Hello all, long time lurker, some of your maintenance posts are spot on.

I have a 02 Sequoia, bought it with about 110k, currently a shade under 240k .This is the only vehicle I've ever wanted, I babied this thing. It's been all up and down the east coast, trustworthy and never let me down. Timing belt was changed at 200k

Started hearing a funny noise from the engine, parked it (feared the worst). Had an ASE tech friend take a look at it.
Him: (Started in my driveway, it was idling.) Not a valve or rod, when did you have the belt changed?
Me: at 200k
Sequioa - SNAP, stalls
Me: $H!T
Him: Not good

I didn't want to put a bunch of money it I was realistic that the miles were getting up and it needed to start slowing down. I actually purchased another vehicle. So I tear it apart this past week, yup timing belt nuked.

The 200k change was done (water pump and tensioner were replaced and like new) so I replace the belt and put it back together. OIl was clean and no other issues.

Said a prayer and started it up, IT WORKS like it did before.

I'm shocked (and heading to church tomorrow for my penance). Drove it all day today and except for some chatter (small--wife couldn't hear it but I did).

She is now a local driver, I will tow the boat and just use it was a hauler.

My question is, am I due from some other problems? What other damage could be done that I will encounter later?

Thanks YotaTech, you guys are awesome.

Last edited by Padre0319; 11-12-2016 at 05:34 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just lurking here! Checking in on stagnant post. I just bought a 245k mile 2001 sequoia and immediately did sway bar links, tie rod ends, and steering rack bushings. Timing job has been done twice. VSC lights are on and I'm probably due for some o2 sensors. Anything else I should expect in the near future. Hopefully I don't have to track down a yaw sensor. I don't have that kind of quichè!

Thanks!
Old 07-24-2017, 11:06 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Clint Eastwood may be able to answer that

Just whatever routine maintenance that needs to be done at their respective intervals. Pretty sure that would cover most things you could do at the current mileage. And keep an eye on whatever symptoms once they start to develop.

On timing belt, 40k from the OP seems somewhat early to snap. Hopefully the new parts are OEM. Other related components like tensioners and crank/camshaft oil seals, are also good parts to replace as well during timing belt/water pump service, as their integrity also affects the longevity of the new belt.

Depending on where you live, a good rustproof of the underside may be a good suggestion.

VSC lights on...recent suspension and steering work, may need an alignment...
https://forums.edmunds.com/discussio...-warning-issue

Last edited by 75w90mantraN; 07-24-2017 at 11:23 PM.