99+ Tundra, 00+ Sequoia, 98+ Land Cruiser/LX470 Late model full size trucks and SUVs

01 Tundra Troubleshooting Rough Binding/Skipping sound in driveline *Video Included

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 01 Tundra Troubleshooting Rough Binding/Skipping sound in driveline *Video Included

I'm currently driving a 2001 Toyota Tundra Limited 4x4 V8 with 330 000km's on it. I'm getting a rough clicking sound whenever my vehicle is in 4WD, never in 2. Here's a short video showing the sound driving forward and in reverse. https://˟˟˟˟˟˟˟/PqHj

The sound seems to be relative to the amount of stress on the driveline, ie: Acceleration and deceleration due to gearing are when this sound is the worst. I drove it at 30km/h with small amount of throttle and the clicking goes away, less pressure on the drive system I guess.

I have replaced both front CV Joints,no change. Removed front driveshaft and inspected U Joints (No play, added new grease old grease expelled). Small amount of twisting like 1 Degree in mid (spline?,In out part) area of driveshaft, doesn't feel broken. Differential fluid did not have metal bits although dirty oil from bad seals.

I'm starting to run out of ideas thinking I have a major Transfercase problem, checking the fluid tomorrow for metal.

The sound first happened driving in reverse in 4wd as a sharp ping with wheels fully cranked and again once i installed a new transfercase 4WD actuator after being stuck in 2WD for 10 000kms. The sound is consistent at all times in 4WD and never in 2WD.

I have taken off the front driveshaft on the vehicle and engaged 4wd and no clicking occurs.

Transmission fluid was recently drained, drop pan & Refilled a month ago

Truck has 31" Tires with Bilstein 5100's 2.5" Lift setting

Truck has been drivin for 800km+ on pavement with 4wd on, again bad actuator.

Any tips are greatly appreciated, hoping it's not over a $1000 repair but i have a feeling this problem is past the basics

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 03-11-2017, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turned out the transfercase chain was stretched out and was skipping. Threw in a transfercase from the wrecker, problem solved