Early Land Cruisers All solid front axles and Land Cruiser series - 25, 40, 45, 55, 60, 62, and 80

Newbie landcruiser question

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie landcruiser question

Hello all, I was looking to find some info on Land Cruisers. I started to look around here in NJ for a used 92-97 LC or LX450(the same i understand) or a 94-01 4 runner for a daily driver for my wife.
I decided that I definetly want one with the straight 6, so i am looking at LC's.Generally I would prefer to buy a manual; it seems that these are wither sinply not available or impossible to find. I also notice that most all of these trucks have a very high value in relation to miles.
Are the automatic trannies in these good? most of the trucks I see have between 125-185k miles. What are problem areas? Rust/mechanics, obd1 or obd2? Am I better off with a 4 runner? Do you guys reccommend that i have it inspected at a Toyota dealership? and lastly, what can one expect to pay for a stock unmodded one? I intend to buy the nicest one i can find and basically keep it at least 5-7 years
Thanks alot guys
Nick
Sussex county NJ
Old 04-01-2012, 03:07 PM

Those LC's did not come in a manual, only auto.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ih8mud has a wealth of information about land cruisers of any year I really dont know much about them. as long as you stay away from 91-92 landcruisers they are very well built. The tranny in the first 2 years breaks a lot more compared to later years ,95-97 wil be more expensive because of the ob2 but 93-94 have the same options minus the obd2 on the motor
http://forum.ih8mud.com/
Old 04-01-2012, 03:16 PM

that explains why I cannot find one in manual then. Are there better years in these? Generally i always felt OBD 2 cars ran better than OBD 1, is that true with these? Can you get the lockers in an LX450? they seem to be cheaper here than the LC's (both are HARD to find)
Thanks
Old 04-01-2012, 07:48 PM

The LX has side and rear plastic body cladding.
The LX has body colored mud flaps.
The LX has different shaped headlights and front grille.
The LX has clear side marker lenses.
The LX came with a different sound system that has the sub in the console and a 6 disc CD.
The LX does not have a rear sub-woofer so the right cargo area panel is different.
The LX does not have speakers above the 3rd row seats.
The LX speakers are made by Pioneer. 2nd row speakers & speaker grills are larger.
The LX has various Lexus badges (front, rear, engine, steering wheel, and others).
The LX has different alloy wheels and center caps.
The LX has softer shocks.
The LX was equipped with the Auto climate control that was avail in '97 40th and CE models.
The LX, reportedly, has a higher quality leather.
The LX uses different FSM and EWD manuals and may have different colored wires so it's a good idea to use the appropriate manuals if you are a DIY guy.
Some of the LX interior brackets are painted different colors than the corresponding bracket on the LC.
The LX windshield tint is bronze and the LC tint is blue. (Per NorCalDug 14.May.2004)

The LX has built-in cell phone (Optional & '96 technology)
The LX Left Rear sliding window is fixed and does not slide open. (All LX's with or without optional cell phone)
(This slider had cell phone antenna on it)

Lexus dealers will provide the vehicle service record for all work done at any Lexus dealer
Old 04-01-2012, 07:51 PM

Yes you can get the lockers in the lx450 however even if the lexus you buy didnt have the lockers factory all of the wiring harness is there and ready to be hooked up you just need the switch and the elocker diff and it will work in the land cruiser FJ80 you will need to get the harness as well
Old 04-10-2012, 06:37 AM

100% of Canadian LX's had the lockers.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:33 PM

Let it be known that nothing i have to share will be useful, as the Japanese versions are pretty different from the US ones and I am stationed in Okinawa, Japan. I own a '93 FJ80 Landcruiser VX Limited and it has a straight six and front and rear lockers that came with it stock. But let me tell you this. I have a '94 "Surf" (4Runner) here in Okinawa, and a '85 4Runner that I had to leave in the care of my brother in the US. With that being my only real knowledge of FJ's and 4Runners, I would take the FJ80 HANDS DOWN over the more modern Runner, but I can't decide which one I love more between the FJ and the '85. I absolutely LOVE this truck. It has enough power, all the amenities, and more off-road capabilities than the mountainous sub-tropical island of Okinawa needs. And we have volcanic rock and clay here...so that is truly a statement about the quality of this Landcruiser. To make a long story short, in my humble opinion, get a Landcruiser.

Last edited by gryllswannabe; 06-01-2012 at 07:36 PM.