Early Land Cruisers All solid front axles and Land Cruiser series - 25, 40, 45, 55, 60, 62, and 80

instructions to remove carb on fj60

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 07:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
instructions to remove carb on fj60

Howdy, I've had this '87 cruiser for over 15 years but beyond basic maintenance I'm a newbie working on this stock 2F engine. I need to remove carb for rebuild... how do you get to the inside back nut that holds carb to the intake?!? What needs to come off of the engine to be able to reach it? I can barely even find it with a flashlight sprawled across the top the engine. It looks like the entire hood has to be removed; please tell me it ain't so!
Old 02-15-2012, 08:00 PM

Do you have a manual? The one on my 40 wasn't to hard, can't imagine that one being much different. Take some pics with the camera pointed blindly at its appro location, might take a couple to see what you need to see but it has worked in the past for me.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:21 AM

Actually it is a bit different, engine compartment much harder to reach things, and more smog crap. I have 2f engine manual but it doesn't deal with removal & install, just rebuild. Local mechanic just grinned and said"lots" has to come off to reach carb. Car is outside and weather dodgy, I just want an idea of what I'm in for before I open a can of worms
Old 02-24-2012, 01:39 AM

special tools!

Originally Posted by dabeastherder
Howdy, I've had this '87 cruiser for over 15 years but beyond basic maintenance I'm a newbie working on this stock 2F engine. I need to remove carb for rebuild... how do you get to the inside back nut that holds carb to the intake?!? What needs to come off of the engine to be able to reach it? I can barely even find it with a flashlight sprawled across the top the engine. It looks like the entire hood has to be removed; please tell me it ain't so!
I have done it a couple times, my last one was las spring so forgive me if I forget something.

Remove the air filter housing that sits on the top of the engine (the whole thing, top and bottom peice), then disconnect all vacuum lines, fuel line, shift linkage, choke cable. Then I think you just remove the 4 bolts on the corners of the carb.

Here is where the tool comes in to play. I don't know if a stubby 12mm wrench would work but I made a special tool for mine. I took an extra craftsman 12mm 12-point wrench and cut 1-2" off of the open end leaving a short boxed end wrench. I cut it just after the raised center that has the stamped craftsman in it. If you get in there with your wrench you will see about where you need to cut it.

This lets you get into the tight spaces on the engine side and remove the nuts holding the carb down to the manifold.

It is not super fast or super easy but much better with this chopped off wrench. I keep it in my toolbox next to my other wrenches.

A thin wall on the box end is important and defiantly 12-point so you have more degrees of movement / placement.

Last edited by meigsrock; 02-24-2012 at 01:42 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:28 PM

special tools

Hey Meigsrock; thanks for the excellent tip. Sears was having a sale (when aren't they?) so I bought a cheap set of Craftsmen wrenches since a single 12mm wrench was $8 and a whole set was $15 (I have 1 set box end, 1 set open end, 1 set ratcheting, and now a shorter combo set) . Chopped the 12mm in halfish and it worked like a charm! I ended up using both halves at various stages. Sadly, the stubby ratcheting I also bought was too thick.
I was too stupid to realize the entire aircleaner housing had to come off since it looked like the intake rail would be in the way anyway...aaah, next time I drink the beer AFTER I play under the hood!
And now, on to the rebuild! Hey, how hard can it be??? #;>]
Old 02-27-2012, 02:51 PM

Glad I could help. Sometimes a dumb little trick like that can make all the difference in a project.

Got to have the right tool for the job.

Good luck with the rebuild, hope that solves the problem.

Also label and take pictures of the vacuum lines and where they go before you start ripping things of. That will help you remember where they go when you put it back on. Especially helpful on long projects when things are apart for a long time.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:36 AM
Contributing Member

if you realize you need to rebuild, i think i have the 2f carb rebuild kit somewhere that i never used, its brand new. let me know.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:44 PM

hey Amir94 do you still have that rebuild kit? i just got a land crusier and may need one