Prerunner & All 2WD Rigs Discussions pertaining to non 4WD rigs

My first Yota!

Old 03-07-2013, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My first Yota!

Hey guys, I'm new here and the new owner of an '89 std short bed 2wd in Toyota Super Red II. She's equipped with the 22r and is completely stock from what I can see. The odometer is about to turn 118,000 on my way home from work. I paid an astonishing $500 for her! :o

The body is very badly rusted out but the motor and drivetrain function flawlessly. It will be functioning as my daily driver at least until summer and since I got such a deal on the truck I'd like to keep my overall cost down as much as possible. First things first I'll be giving her a proper tune-up this saturday. (Oil change, plugs, wires, distributor cap, fuel and air filters, maybe a coolant flush depending on how its looking, and based on the condition of the body I will be giving the frame a good inspection while I'm underneath) Looks like the valve cover gasket is leaking also so that will be at the top of the list as well. I've been reading about the timing chain issues on the 22re and am wondering if I need to be cautious and check the guides on my 22r. If so, what is the easiest way to get in there and have a good look without completely dissambling the thing? Also, I'm completely new to doing any kind of body work and this sucker needs A LOT. I will probably end up rigging up my own wooden bed (referred to as a "hillbilly stakebed" by my father) but my cab corners need attn asap. Are there any inexpensive but effective methods of keeping the rust somewhat at bay or is it always a "you get back what you put in" kind of thing?

Thanks in advance guys.

Zack

Last edited by Porkchok; 03-07-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:54 PM

Oh and she's got the manual 4spd. If there's anything else I should be wary of or should check out let me know!

Thanks again.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:40 PM

As I really run and work on this motor if all seems to be in order, I will keep my eyes peeled for an early 80s(preferrably 4x4) with a good shell that needs a motor to swap this one into. Probably very unlikely since these motors don't go very often nor do the shells last haha. We will see!
Old 03-08-2013, 06:31 AM

Can't help with the rust problem but welcome to YT. Good steal on the truck. If you treat it right you will get alot more miles out of it.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:48 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Once you get the bed off you have access to the rear vents of the double walled cab Get the drain holes cleared by any means air, water hose, power washer, bribe someone with small hands. Pull of any large flaking rust and treat with a rust converter on the inside. If you need to do any sheet metal work do it before you do the rust converter.

The timing chain guides are easy to inspect thru the valve cover, it is essentially the same as an EFI version. Not sure if you have a double row chain, I forget the model years for those.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:34 AM

Thanks Co_94_PU. Not sure when I'll get started on the body work. Hopefully by next week. I'll keep you guys updated and try to get some pictures up to document my progress.

Cheers
Old 03-15-2013, 10:31 AM

Alright, tune-up is all done save for the fuel filter. Pulled the valve cover to inspect my timing chain, do a valve adjustment and change out the leaky gasket. Found the standard completely MIA driver's side guide and some pretty serious "railroad tracks" in the cover.

Since I've discovered this I can now hear the chain slapping and grinding. I hadn't noticed before as the rear of my muffler is completely blown out so listening for engine noise is quite difficult. As stated above, this is my daily, so I will do my best to keep it parked for now but I will need to use it to get back and forth to work when my g/f can't drop me off. I added about 7-8oz of motor honey to thicken up my 10w-30 a bit to try to reduce the wear on the timing cover slightly.

I'm going to order my kit from engnbldr tonight and I hope to tear into this thing early next week. Body work must wait as we all know how urgent the timing job is.

Took some pics of the missing guide and railroad tracks I will try and get up tonight when I get off of work.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:55 PM

Update : Still at work, on break. Opened the oil fill cap and there is a tiny bit of "milkshake" on the underside of the cap. Have to drive her the 9 miles back home but its parked after that. I'll ride my bicycle to work and back if I have to for the next week. Boo... :/

Edit : I will also be starting a proper build thread on the '86-'95 board in an attempt to get more replies and input, as this section of the forums seems to be pretty dead. Thanks for your help so far YT. Looking forward to getting this puppy back on the road ASAP.

Cheers,
Zack

Last edited by Porkchok; 03-16-2013 at 06:41 AM.