Prerunner & All 2WD Rigs Discussions pertaining to non 4WD rigs

Making a 2WD more capable off-road

Old 04-12-2016, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Making a 2WD more capable off-road

Hey guys, I'm looking to make my 2WD a little more capable off road. I already took the first step and got some all terrains, a little bigger than stock size. Added a 2" body lift and a BJS/AAL lift. Preferably on the cheap side, since I'll probably end up selling 2 years from now.

My wife and I and our new baby girl love to go camping (I built out a sleeping platform in the back)

I'm not ready quite yet to part with my sweet Yota for a 4WD, but I'd like to have a little security against getting stuck out in the hills when we are camping.

Ideally, a winch and locking rear differential would be bomb, but I imagine that is a spendy option....how much would adding something like a rear locker cost? Is there any write ups on how to do that? Is it challenging for a relatively amateur mechanic like myself? If I did add one, whats better, an e-locker or a limited slip diff? Can I add a winch without having to buy an expensive aftermarket bumper?

What about other recovery tools? (Traction aids, a good shovel, etc?)

Appreciate any input!

Last edited by mistershmi; 04-12-2016 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 02:19 PM

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts
Your truck most likely will have the 7.5'' rearend. If that's the case, no elocker will work for it. a few company's do make lockers for the 7.5 diff as it is also used on the front of the 4x4 trucks, and there are LSDs for it from the early supras. http://home.4x4wire.com/erik/diffs/
If by some chance you do have the 8'' 2wd axle, then I believe the tacoma elocker diff can be swapped in with the normal housing modifications. If this is your daily driver, I would recommend something that isn't locked full time (like a spool or welded diff) as you will chew through tires. I would lean more towards a LSD.
I have never done a locker install myself so I cant say how hard it is but I know a lot of guys on here have done it and documented how to do it with write ups. To make it easy and to match my front width, I swapped in the whole tacoma elocker rear axle, but they are much wider then the stock axle.
Old 04-12-2016, 03:19 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by mistershmi
What about other recovery tools? (Traction aids, a good shovel, etc?)
1. Tire chains > locker.

2. You don't need a bumper mounted winch to get unstuck. You only need a good come-along(8,000+ lb) and enough straps, chains, ropes, hooks and shackles to connect it to your truck and the nearest suitable anchor point(tree, stump, large boulder, etc).

3. A shovel is nice to have for the snow. But it's pretty well useless in other conditions.

4. A hi-lift jack can be useful sometimes. But rarely. They're highly(pardon the pun) overrated. The only time it's ever done me any good was lifting the front end of my truck off a stump trapped between my IFS crossmembers. Which was only because my bottle jack wasn't sufficient.

I'm not afraid to go get stuck anywhere so long as I have my come-along and as many straps, chains, hooks and shackles as I can carry. Which is typically ~35' of chain, 50'+ of straps, a couple spare hooks, one small shackle and one monster shackle. Which has almost always been enough to get my ass out of any sticky situation(on my own). A couple times it wasn't. Too many times to count it was.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:47 PM

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts
How would tire chains be better for normal offroading than a locker on what would essentially be a 1wd truck?
Old 04-12-2016, 05:41 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I'm interpreting the needs of the OP as being cheap and effective ways to get unstuck. As in becoming stuck by accident. If he wants to do serious offroading, that's a whole other story. You don't need a locker unless you're driving in a manner where you deserve to get stuck. You are pushing the limits of your vehicle intentionally.Which is all part of the fun. But getting stuck with the wife and kids on a camping trip doesn't really encompass that type of activity. Getting stuck with one wheel in the air would be pretty extreme camping IMO.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Swap a used axle from any truck with an LSD, elocker,or ARB. Find one with the right gears for the tire size you just bought.

As long as you can hang it, either matching the suspension or modifying it yourself, it'll work.

Air or elocker is ideal so you can switch it on and off, dirt vs street. But LSD will minimize slippage so you at least have two driving tires like a Prerunner type truck.

Check car-part.com for salvage search engine to find used rear axles near you.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by MudHippy
1. Tire chains > locker.

2. You don't need a bumper mounted winch to get unstuck. You only need a good come-along(8,000+ lb) and enough straps, chains, ropes, hooks and shackles to connect it to your truck and the nearest suitable anchor point(tree, stump, large boulder, etc).

3. A shovel is nice to have for the snow. But it's pretty well useless in other conditions.

4. A hi-lift jack can be useful sometimes. But rarely. They're highly(pardon the pun) overrated. The only time it's ever done me any good was lifting the front end of my truck off a stump trapped between my IFS crossmembers. Which was only because my bottle jack wasn't sufficient.

I'm not afraid to go get stuck anywhere so long as I have my come-along and as many straps, chains, hooks and shackles as I can carry. Which is typically ~35' of chain, 50'+ of straps, a couple spare hooks, one small shackle and one monster shackle. Which has almost always been enough to get my ass out of any sticky situation(on my own). A couple times it wasn't. Too many times to count it was.

thanks for the suggestions. I think a come along would be a good buy, although - aren't they pretty limited on the length of chain you can use? like 6-12 feet?

I have a hi lift jack that i got off craigslist, but haven't ever used it. i envision most likely getting stuck by either high centering or not gunning it hard enough to get through a patch of sand or mud

a limited slip differential would be awesome, however, from what I've read I'm basically limited to the 82-86 supra rear diff (7.5) which seems impossible to find, plus i imagine id probably have to pay my shop to install it...
Old 04-13-2016, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by tj884Rdlx
Swap a used axle from any truck with an LSD, elocker,or ARB. Find one with the right gears for the tire size you just bought.

As long as you can hang it, either matching the suspension or modifying it yourself, it'll work.

Air or elocker is ideal so you can switch it on and off, dirt vs street. But LSD will minimize slippage so you at least have two driving tires like a Prerunner type truck.

Check car-part.com for salvage search engine to find used rear axles near you.
Would I need to swap gears? My tires aren't too big. I'm running 235/75/15 tires.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Robert m
Your truck most likely will have the 7.5'' rearend. If that's the case, no elocker will work for it. a few company's do make lockers for the 7.5 diff as it is also used on the front of the 4x4 trucks, and there are LSDs for it from the early supras. http://home.4x4wire.com/erik/diffs/
If by some chance you do have the 8'' 2wd axle, then I believe the tacoma elocker diff can be swapped in with the normal housing modifications. If this is your daily driver, I would recommend something that isn't locked full time (like a spool or welded diff) as you will chew through tires. I would lean more towards a LSD.
I have never done a locker install myself so I cant say how hard it is but I know a lot of guys on here have done it and documented how to do it with write ups. To make it easy and to match my front width, I swapped in the whole tacoma elocker rear axle, but they are much wider then the stock axle.
would a front locker from a 4x4 work on the rear though?

I have the 7.5" but it seems like those supra diffs are impossible to find. looks like I'm looking at 82-86.5 mk3 supra diffs, but I'm not sure id be able to get my hands on one... sounds like an LSD would be the way to go though if I'm trying to be economical.