Prerunner & All 2WD Rigs Discussions pertaining to non 4WD rigs

Clutch adjustment questions

Old 10-18-2016, 07:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch adjustment questions

Hey everyone!

I just replaced my clutch, and finally got it out to test drive it and it seems that the clutch engages at the very top of the pedal height. I went to adjust it yesterday, and I can't, I seems like my pedal height is over an inch too high, and when I adjust that it's actually engaging the clutch. When I try and adjust the bracket on the push rod on the m/c, the pedal itself hits the rod so I can't actually adjust it at all.

Is there a way to adjust the push rod inside the m/c? Is mine just bad? Can I rebuild it or should I replace it, or is there some sort of adjustment I'm missing?

I'm worried that even with the pedal up, with a 6.5" height (all the way maxed out) it's still partially engaged.

Brand new Exedy clutch kit and slave cylinder, new fluid. The m/c looked good so I didn't anything with it, but if I don't get a good answer here I'll probably just replace it.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:16 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
What about the adjustment at the slave cylinder? You can adjust the rod that comes out of the slave cylinder. If someone had adjusted it out due to a worn clutch, it could need adjusting back in some.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:16 PM

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
When you replaced your clutch, what was the reason? Was it slipping? Unable to hold and transfer power under load? Or oil contamination? Or hydraulic failure?

Not to be a dick, I'm just making sure a clutch replacement isn't masking some other issue.

You say it is engaging all the way at the top of pedal travel? With the pedal pushed all the way to the floor and the truck in gear start letting up on the pedal. When do you start to feel engagement? Very close to the floor or very close to the top?

Did you install the clutch yourself or have a shop do it? Is it possible the friction disc is in backwards? That would mess up the travel.
Old 10-18-2016, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by mwisham
What about the adjustment at the slave cylinder? You can adjust the rod that comes out of the slave cylinder. If someone had adjusted it out due to a worn clutch, it could need adjusting back in some.
How do I adjust that? I can't find any information on that adjustment in my Haynes manual. I don't have a fsm, I haven't been able to find one.
Old 11-16-2016, 02:52 AM

So, after some fiddling, I just ordered a new master cylinder. fixed my problem, was able to adjust my pedal to the correct height, with lots more adjustability left.

Now, every part of my clutch is new other than lines and pedal.
thanks!