Prerunner & All 2WD Rigs Discussions pertaining to non 4WD rigs

2wd pickup won't drive

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While I'm waiting for the shifter bushing and clutch fork boot I've been cleaning up the transmission so I can paint it before I put it back in.

Started with the wire brushes on the drill, but killed 2 batteries pretty quick.

While things were charging I switched over to the wire brush, and realized it worked really well.

Getting there, almost ready to prep and paint. Just a bit more with this wire brush.

When I pulled the transmission out I hadnt realized this was still connected, and I pulled the wires out. I need to figure out if I can rewire this or if I'll need to get a new one.

Old 09-23-2016, 12:36 PM

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
can rewire it. its just the back up light switch
Old 09-23-2016, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by superex87
Oh that's easy then! I hadn't checked my manual or anything so I actually thought it was the speedo cable, if it's just the backup light that's good!

Also, I finished cleaning up the transmission! I still have some prep to do, taping, Acetone and all that, but it looks pretty good now!

Looks so much better!

Old 09-24-2016, 03:36 AM

Finally painted! I hope it doesnt care being old Ford Red, realized i didnt want to spray can it and this was the best stuff that I had.

I got some of my tractor parts painted while I had the paint out. I also just painted my basement floor the other day
Old 09-27-2016, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by superex87

I have this all soldered up, but not sure if it matters how it's connected back in. Both wires are black, but the white connection has a specific direction. It really won't be that hard to switch it around if I do it wrong but just wondering if anyone had insight into this.
Old 09-29-2016, 03:07 PM

So, I got my transmission put back in! But, now it won't start. I really hope I didn't screw up the clutch installation, but not sure what else it could be. I guess I could have just installed the starter wrong, which will be my first place to look tomorrow morning, if I get all my motorcycle maintenance done today that I wanted to. I've been working on it already for 10 hours straight, but we'll see.

When I turned the key the first time, it sounded like it wanted to start, but then sounded like it was struggling, almost like the battery was dead. Then, it just kept sounding like a dead battery. I put it on charge for the whole morning, then turned the charger to Start and tried again, and even then it sounded more and more dead each time. I hope I'm not just burning up my starter or something.

Any ideas?

well, here's the transmission installed, with the new slave cylinder.

driveshaft before I wirebrushed and painted it

I somehow didn't take a picture once I put the driveshaft on, but I was pretty damn frustrated after putting 3.5 quarts of tranny fluid in, laying underneath squeezing a bottle through a tiny tube sucks meatballs. Then, it wouldn't even start, so I was pretty mad. But, we'll see what the starter looks like tomorrow.

Can I take the starter off and just try and start it to see if that is the issue? What happens if I try and start it with the starter out of the engine?
Old 09-29-2016, 05:27 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by karlm-c
So, an update, I let it sit for a while, at this gas station, and then tried it again, and now it drove forward again. Don't think I'll try and drive it home, but might give some insight into what the problem is.
Clutch is slipping. Overheats and slips more. Check your adjustments.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:31 PM

You can always do the run and dump. Push truck forward jump and drop it into 2nd gear. No starter required, just an extra person to push.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:27 AM

Hey!

so, truck still won't run, and i wanted to do some troubleshooting before I took it off the ramps and tried pop starting it. Now, even on the jumpstarter, it sort of just hums.

So, this morning, with no knowledge of how starters work or anything, I took it off the transmission and tried starting it. Same exact noises, no difference. So, I took it off and brought it inside and started taking it apart. The manual simply says "test, if starter buy new one" so thats no help. There's got to be a way to just fix it, if it is actually broken, right?

Could it be something I am overlooking, like a fuse or something? I doubt it could be the backup light, I would be surprised if that was so important that it would take the whole system down because that was wired wrong. That is the only real wire I messed with, unless somewhere along the path of the wires that go to the starter something broken or is corroded.

What do you think?

starter off and in my basement

tore it apart, havent taken the gear side apart yet, but I will probably do it just because, why not learn how that works, right?

I cleaned this all up, I will be, of course, painting it

gear looks good

I have since taken this cap off, it looks clean on the inside, but don't really know what to look for
Attached Thumbnails 2wd pickup won't drive-starter.jpg   2wd pickup won't drive-starter-apart.jpg   2wd pickup won't drive-starter-end-cap.jpg   2wd pickup won't drive-starter-gear.jpg   2wd pickup won't drive-starter-other-end-capo.jpg  

Old 10-05-2016, 04:33 AM

Hey everyone,

So I bench tested my starter, and it works fine! I installed it back into my truck, and now it just clicks. It's trying, but I think its a wiring problem. The small positive connector from the ignition is kind of dirty, I've tried cleaning with a wire brush and carb cleaner, it was pretty bent open so I bent it closed with some pliers, still just clicks. I will be heading to NAPA today to make an alligator clip jumper and I'll try it direct from the battery. I really hope its just the connector and I can just pull it off and replace or really clean it, I really don't feel like trying to chase a wiring problem.

Anyone experience a similar wiring problem? This truck started perfectly every time until I pulled the starter and transmission, so it really has to be isolated to that system, right?
Old 10-05-2016, 08:38 AM

Did you walk the engine over to see if its locked up? All the power goes through the big cable, if its good, then your starter is no good.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by karlm-c
Hey everyone, So I bench tested my starter, and it works fine! I installed it back into my truck, and now it just clicks. It's trying, but I think its a wiring problem. The small positive connector from the ignition is kind of dirty, I've tried cleaning with a wire brush and carb cleaner, it was pretty bent open so I bent it closed with some pliers, still just clicks. I will be heading to NAPA today to make an alligator clip jumper and I'll try it direct from the battery. I really hope its just the connector and I can just pull it off and replace or really clean it, I really don't feel like trying to chase a wiring problem. Anyone experience a similar wiring problem? This truck started perfectly every time until I pulled the starter and transmission, so it really has to be isolated to that system, right?
Have you put a bar on the crank pully and made sure the engine is moving freely? I don't want to jump to conclusions. IV heard of horror stories about transmission / clutch installs that end up forced together causing a bind issue.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:25 PM

So, thanks everyone for your input, but it was something stupid. While it's nice not having to go through a lot more work, I hate it when I get bested by a stupid issue.

So, I took my multimeter out to chase what I thought was a wiring problem. First, I checked the battery, which I thought was going bad, but it was actually good. Weird, I thought. So I checked the end of the big wire going to the starter, and nothing. I took it off and checked it, and it looked fine. I checked the battery again, good, checked the wire again, bad. I checked the connection on the battery terminal and got nothing. Shook my head, took off the terminals, hit then with sandpaper, and she started right up! Happy I didn't need to chase a wiring problem!

I drove it around the property today, and it seems to work fine. Feels much better than it did before, but the real test will be once I take it out on the highway. I still have lots of little things left to do, the beds all rusted out so either do lots and lots and lots of work to fix it (i have a GMC Sonoma I can cannibalize to do this) or build a wooden bed. I need to make door trim, do lots of painting, fix a bunch of holes in my floor, fix my seat, install a passenger seat belt, install my head unit from my old truck, install speakers and a wiring harness to do so, but really all that can wait now, since at least it drives! You'll hear from me again as soon as I start the next project haha!

Thanks for all the input everyone!