Prerunner & All 2WD Rigs Discussions pertaining to non 4WD rigs

2wd pickup won't drive

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2wd pickup won't drive

Hey everyone,

I just finished fixing up the 1986 2wd pickup I bought in February, drove it to work today as my first real drive, and on the way in it seemed fine. It seemed a bit weak in 4th gear but other than that drove great.

I am on my way home now, and on the highway the weakness in 4th turned to a weakness in 3rd, then 2nd, then I was in 1st, then not going forward at all. Thankfully reverse worked and I was right next to a gas station, so I pulled in there.

Any ideas? Transmission or clutch? Easy fix or is this going to suck meatballs? I'm guess I'll tow it home tonight and tear into it, see what I can find, but any info would really help.

Thanks!

Old 08-26-2016, 01:22 PM

So, an update, I let it sit for a while, at this gas station, and then tried it again, and now it drove forward again. Don't think I'll try and drive it home, but might give some insight into what the problem is.
Old 08-26-2016, 02:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Auto or manual?
Old 08-26-2016, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Trents3.slow
Auto or manual?
4 cylinder, 4 speed manual.

Now that I think about it i think it felt like it was slipping yesterday when I drove it home from the shop that did my alignment.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:13 PM

Mmmmm. K

WHAT KIND OF " FIXING UP" did you do?

Before I spit out a bunch of crap I'm going to need details.
Old 08-27-2016, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by Trents3.slow
Mmmmm. K

WHAT KIND OF " FIXING UP" did you do?

Before I spit out a bunch of crap I'm going to need details.
Totally redid steering, front and rear suspension and brakes. Fixed some holes in the frame, painted front and rear of the frame, cleaned and painted gas tank. Engine always started first try, ran strong, so didn't think it needed anything. Didn't think much of the clutch, but needed to start driving it first.

After talking to my uncle and reading a few chapters of the manual, it really seems like it's the clutch that's slipping. My uncle said he's had cars that did that when they got hot, which makes sense in this case.

Clutch rebuild kits of rockauto are like 75-150 bucks, but this time I'll take it apart first and see what it needs. From the manual it looks like it could be the diaphragm is broken, making the plate wet, or just the plate is worn.

If this isn't the problem, it would mean it's a transmission problem, right? Seems less likely, I think most of the troubleshooting for the tranny involved noises.

What do you think, am I thinking in the right direction?
Old 08-27-2016, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by karlm-c
Totally redid steering, front and rear suspension and brakes. Fixed some holes in the frame, painted front and rear of the frame, cleaned and painted gas tank. Engine always started first try, ran strong, so didn't think it needed anything. Didn't think much of the clutch, but needed to start driving it first. After talking to my uncle and reading a few chapters of the manual, it really seems like it's the clutch that's slipping. My uncle said he's had cars that did that when they got hot, which makes sense in this case. Clutch rebuild kits of rockauto are like 75-150 bucks, but this time I'll take it apart first and see what it needs. From the manual it looks like it could be the diaphragm is broken, making the plate wet, or just the plate is worn. If this isn't the problem, it would mean it's a transmission problem, right? Seems less likely, I think most of the troubleshooting for the tranny involved noises. What do you think, am I thinking in the right direction?
Yea, IV got a feeling the clutch needs attention.
Old 09-06-2016, 05:14 AM

So after a few days of struggling I finally got the transmission off. I don't really know what I'm looking for, but the plate does look worn.

any advice on cleaning a transmission up? figure I might as well clean it up and paint it while its off

pretty damn dirty here on the inside also

Old 09-06-2016, 05:16 AM

Also, any recommendations of other things I can do while its off? Should I open it up and check anything? any parts that are easily replaceable on this that I should just do now?
Old 09-07-2016, 07:26 PM

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Buy a complete clutch kit that includes a new throw out bearing. exedy brand is good.
New main rear oil seal for engine.
New oil seal for the unput shaft on the transmission. Resurface fly wheel or buy new one. old one will have burn markes and uneven surface.
Old 09-17-2016, 03:13 AM

Hey everyone!

FInally got some more updates, got my parts in and actually found time to work on this. Got all the clutch parts out, took a while to get the pilot bearing out. I tried the grease technique first, but the plate on the front came off when I tried so I came here and found a forum about packing it with wet newspaper, and that worked perfectly. Got the new one put in, got my flywheel and everything installed. When I ordered the parts from rockauto it asked at checkout, 'do you want a flywheel tool?', and I said, nah I'll be able to figure it out. I couldn't, but luckily my dad's friend had one for me to borrow. I still haven't added the release bearing, but I started to clean up the transmission itself and figured I'd finish that and paint it, fully clean up even the inside of the bellhousing before I throw it all back together.

old vs new. doesn't look really bad, some scouring it looks like

any idea on that little bit of rust on the bottom there? should I throw some sealer on there when I reinstall the transmission?

looks much nicer now

I did hit one snag, maybe. Where my shifter actually sits in the transmission, there's 2 pins, one on each side, I thought that below it was old grease, old and dried up and sort of packed below the shifter. I went to get it out, and then realized its probably a rubber gasket actually thats falling apart. This means 2 things, a bunch of small parts of dried up rubber fell into the back part of my transmission, and I need a new gasket but don't know what its called, and haven't been able to find one anywhere. I can't seem to find a parts diagram, I had found one in the past but can't seem to right now and didn't bookmark it last time.

where do I get one of these?

bad news bears! I haven't tried taking this cover off yet, but figured I'd post on here first before I go too far. I still have lots of wirebrushing left to do anyway
Old 09-18-2016, 08:39 AM

That gasket is really a shifter bushing. They all look like that. Marlin Crawler sells really nice new ones or you can get one at the dealer. Will greatly improve shifting.
Old 09-18-2016, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I use Easy Off oven cleaner to clean my transmissions. Being aluminium, I dont leave it on long. A garden hose and some light scrubbing and have it done in no time at all.

Video
https://www.marlincrawler.com/tech/g...t-installation
Old 09-18-2016, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
I use Easy Off oven cleaner to clean my transmissions. Being aluminium, I dont leave it on long. A garden hose and some light scrubbing and have it done in no time at all. Video https://www.marlincrawler.com/tech/g...t-installation
+1 for the oven cleaner. I use it all the time. I went to Home Depot the other day and they had the Zep brand on clearance. Use gloves!!!! It's harsh on skin.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:38 AM

Recently I've just been using brake cleaner to clean stuff up, it works way better than anything I've used. I was always wary of using it until I had an emergency engine swap in Goose Bay on my KLR, Hector (my new friend up there, who sold me an engine and helped me swap it) used it all over my bike while we were tearing my it apart. He was a large machinery mechanic and said he used it on everything.

I just ordered a shifter seat bushing from Marlin crawler, and a new fork boot and a shifter socket, just because I might as well.

Now, how do I clean up all the rubber parts that fell inside the transmission? I wasn't too careful at first because I really thought it was just old, dried, compacted oil, not actual rubber. When I feel up to it I guess I'll just take that cover off and see what I can see inside, but not sure how exactly to clean it out.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:04 PM

Will have to remove the tail housing of the trans to get it all out. check out the fsm on how to take it apart. not to hard to do.
Old 09-19-2016, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by superex87
Will have to remove the tail housing of the trans to get it all out. check out the fsm on how to take it apart. not to hard to do.
I just have the Haines manual, never found a fsm for this one. I found several other links to other years / models but not this one. The Haines manual sucks for transmissions, even the diagram of the w46 includes pretty much all the W transmissions and the diagram doesnt even look exactly like mine. I'm not against just going for it, I should be able to figure out how to put it back together haha
Old 09-20-2016, 04:53 PM

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
I wouldn't even worry about the little pieces that fell inside. They are small and are much softer then all the metal bit that move inside the trans.

Did you order a new boot for the top of the shifter housing too?
Old 09-20-2016, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I have had a few small pieces to drop down and was not sure how to get it out. I never had any problems.
Old 09-20-2016, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by karlm-c
Recently I've just been using brake cleaner to clean stuff up, it works way better than anything I've used. I was always wary of using it until I had an emergency engine swap in Goose Bay on my KLR, Hector (my new friend up there, who sold me an engine and helped me swap it) used it all over my bike while we were tearing my it apart. He was a large machinery mechanic and said he used it on everything. I just ordered a shifter seat bushing from Marlin crawler, and a new fork boot and a shifter socket, just because I might as well. Now, how do I clean up all the rubber parts that fell inside the transmission? I wasn't too careful at first because I really thought it was just old, dried, compacted oil, not actual rubber. When I feel up to it I guess I'll just take that cover off and see what I can see inside, but not sure how exactly to clean it out.
Don't even worry about those little rubber parts. I often have the shift towers out of eaten transmissions(exposing a lot of gears and oil) it's pretty normal for little pieces of debris to fall in there. IV never had an issue. Just make sure it's full of oil and let's it run.

Quick Reply: 2wd pickup won't drive