Prerunner & All 2WD Rigs Discussions pertaining to non 4WD rigs

2wd or 4x4 truck?

Old 01-01-2015, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2wd or 4x4 truck?

Hey guys
I've recently been considering buying a new car, and have hit an absolute road block when trying to decide between 2wd or 4wd.

So I'll get right to it. I'm looking at buying a used dual cab truck. Please don't try to convince me to get a wagon or anything else like that, because for my needs, a dual cab truck is exactly what I require. My budget is probably max $20k, including any mods I wish to add later.

I'm looking at going offroading to get to some of the more 'off the map' fishing spots as I'm a mad keen fisherman. And I will also use it to go camping and possibly tow a small boat (im thinking no more than a 4.5m tinny) later on down the track. However the primary use for the vehicle will just be an everyday car, to drive me to and from uni/work, around town, to and from my girlfriends house, shopping, carting junk around, etc etc.
It is for this reason that I was a bit reluctant to go for the 4wd, as I know they are more expensive upfront and also more costly when it comes to servicing and the like. Also, I probably wont go offroading all that often, possibly only 1-2 times a month. And even then the offroading wont be anything too extreme (no sandy beaches/extreme ascents/crazy rock crawling or mudding)... i'm all for taking the easiest path with the least amount of risk to my vehicle. It will mostly just be a muddy track here and there to get to an off the map estuarine river or a loose gravelly hill or relatively gentle rocky trail or something along those lines. Like I said I won't be offroading for the sake of it, merely to help me reach a destination.

So to this end I was wondering if maybe instead of a 4wd truck, maybe I should just get a 2wd truck and add some offroad mods to it? I was thinking maybe some AT tyres, a manual diff locker, a winch and a suspension/lift kit if the budget permits. What do you guys think? Would this be cheaper than getting a 4wd? Or would they cost roughly the same after the mods to the 2wd?

Any and all help/thoughts are appreciated, cheers.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:33 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
personally i would buy a 4WD, granted the gas mileage would be slightly less but IMO you would be better off. It sounds like you are from Australia or NZ, for your budget you could pick up a nice used truck with a winch, ARB locker in the rear and a few other items on your list.
having that extra driven set of tires does add some maintenance etc but having the option to have them with you are nice.
Old 01-01-2015, 02:11 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Let me say this in the forty plus years I have been driving every 2wd truck I bought was a very Big Mistake!!

If I need a truck it is well worth the extra money to have 4 wheel drive.

The only way I would think of not having a front drive axle was if it was a dedicated tow vehicle for long distances over several hundred miles.
Old 01-01-2015, 04:18 PM

I suggest the 4x4. You could do the mods on a 2wd but that would take more time to set it up, and time is money!! I have a 5spd and that helps with the gas mileage !!
Good luck
Old 01-02-2015, 01:01 AM

Dropzone you are right I am from Australia, nice pick up. What makes you guys think the 4x4 would be the way to go? Similar cost for more offroad capabilities?
Old 01-02-2015, 11:52 AM

If you want to go to your "off the map" fishing spots you never know what the road conditions will be like and you shoukd be prepared for anything!! It woukd suck to be out in the middle of who knows where and get stuck and not be able to get out !! 4x4 is always a nice back up to have instead of calling someone to come pull your truck out!!
Old 01-02-2015, 12:13 PM

Definitely get a 4wd for your intentions. I will never buy another 2wd vehicle, unless a beater car to drive to work.
Yes you can mod a 2wd to do pretty good off road but it won't be 4wd.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:31 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
I have seen plenty of 2wd's spin the rear wheels on boat ramps. 4wd front tires tend to stay dry and make that 1st 10-15' off the ramp easier.

Cheaper to buy the 4wd truck the 1st time around then throw $$ at a 2WD project and than find you regret that purchase and kick yourself for not getting a 4wd.
Sure a 2WD with a winch can get you out of some messes but smart driving with a 4wd can get help avoid pulling rope on a winch. Not always an anchor point for a winch unless you have a Pull Pall or similar portable anchor.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I fish as well and have been stuck on a boat ramp in two wheel truck. A couple of ramps I use, you have to have low range just to get up the ramps just due to the steepness. There have been other times that I may only needed 4 wheel once or twice a year but when I needed it, it was there. Cost really isn't much more to maintain if not abused. Mileage will suffer some but other then that not really any draw back. Some times when using it for work such as hauling hay, just having low range for a slow pace is nice and leaving the front axle disengaged.

I do some farm work and one place is really steep where you would need to ride the brakes all the time, kick it in low range and it just idles down and usually have to accelerate if I want to get down the hill quicker.

This ramp is steeper then what it looks like and especially where you cant see ahead of the truck. You have to back down the ramp. This boat is heavy and would drag me down the ramp if not for low range and would not come out of the ramp if not for low range. In two high, you would smoke a clutch and still not get out. Unless the ramp has a lot of moss, I usually only use low range for backing and pulling forward without the hubs engaged.
Name:  Needslowrange.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  101.5 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 01-02-2015 at 11:07 PM.