Sportsman Section Hunting, guns/rifles, knives, archery, and fishing topics go here

What will you be hunting this season?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
white tail, dove, pheasent in central illinois (toyota sees snow for the first time! yay!!!) quail, coyotes (ofc) rabbit and anything that i think looks good through my scope/pep sites, also turkey
Old 10-14-2011, 06:11 PM

Deer Deer and more deer. I already took a doe with my bow this year. I hope to put a few more in the freezer before i'm done.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:52 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I couldn't afford a deer tag this year, so I'll have to hit one on the road with my rig(like I did 2 years ago) to get any meat for my smoker. I'm a deer jerky fiend. So after the backstrap steaks, it all gets cut up into strips for smoking.

I'm spending deer season this year hunting mushrooms instead. And any Bonasa umbellus, Dendragapus fuliginosus, or Oreortyx pictus that have the misfortune of catching my attention while I'm out in the woods. I'm more of a bird hunter these days anyway. The glory days of deer hunting around here are long dead and gone. Toooooooooo many deer hunters roaming the woods all the sudden.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:25 PM
Contributing Member

Muleys and grouse in Montana! Leaving second week of November and I am stoked. Driving my Toyota over this year. Getting a new 2.25" stainless exhaust system from the manifold back, with Magnaflow cat and muffler, installed as I post this. Looking forward to seeing the effect on gas mileage.

Here is a shot of last year's buck. Nice 4x5.

Good hunting, everybody.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i hunt rabbit,dove,and squirrel every year with my pcp air rifle....so i guess ill go that route again this year.
recently i picked up a traditions buckstalker .50 caliber ml.....im 31 years old,never hunted deer....i think its time i have a go at it!

i chose the muzzle loader because of the challange behind it.
1 shot every min or 2,so youll be sure to make that shot count.
i love airgun hunting from over 100 yards out,im used to precision shots,making the shot count.1 shot....1 humane kill.
guess i like being the underdog....lol.

friends freak out when i take a doves head off with a .22 cal pellet gun from 100 plus yards.
simply amazed when i make the same shot in 177 caliber.
i just love it......look out deer,here i come with a magnum .50!
Old 10-25-2011, 08:06 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by igotit
im 31 years old,never hunted deer....i think its time i have a go at it!

i chose the muzzle loader because of the challange behind it.
I've made a few long distance kill shots with the old 760 Pumpmaster(BB & pellet loads). Not 100 yards, maybe 75. But that's still a quite ways with open sights. Never any moving targets either. I still need a shotgun for some of those(the smaller ones), and a rifle of 30 cal or better for the rest.

You should try snipe. We have a snipe season here in Oregon.

Sniper

The term sniper was first attested in 1824 in the sense of the word "sharpshooter". The verb "to snipe" originated in the 1770s among soldiers in British India where a hunter skilled enough to kill the elusive snipe was dubbed a "sniper".
The only challenge in deer hunting(or any big game) is finding them, or rather "hunting" them in the traditional sense. As in stalking the prey on foot with maximum stealth, and delivering the kill shot(s) on a properly positioned animal. Preferably the target animal should be standing completely still, showing you a clear shot at it's vitals. These types of shots are basically target practice(of little to no challenge to a good rifleman). But aren't typical of what will be presented to you in the field. Though considered unsportsmanlike, there are hunters who take shots at big game "on the run". I included. You just better be prepared to miss, or to spend a few days tracking a wounded animal(if need be).

Anywho, it's all about finding the deer. If that's a challenge, then you're huntin'. Needless to say, if you're sitting in a tree stand/blind, or milling around a fenced-in game ranch/preserve, you ain't. Plain and simple.

Last edited by MudHippy; 10-25-2011 at 08:19 AM.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:21 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did dove, might do deer.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:03 AM

Gun season for deer starts here in TN on Nov 19. Muzzleloader season opens Nov 5th. I'm not too concerned about getting one myself, but I'm hoping my wife gets one this year! Bought her a 30/30 a couple years ago and she didn't get to hunt any with me last year. Gonna set up a ground blind soon and hopefully knock one down!
Old 11-27-2011, 07:25 AM

Deer, turkey, hogs, squirrells, maybe some bobcats, and coyotes, and lots of fishing
Old 11-29-2011, 05:35 PM
Contributing Member

Got back from eastern Montana late last Monday night.
Here are a few pictures from the trip.

My little truck ran like a champ, even in subzero temperatures.

This is a nice little 4x4 muley I dropped with my .243.

Fun's over soon as you pull that trigger.

All packed up and ready to head back to base. Those are the antlers from my hunting buddy Will's buck in the back of the rig.

Last edited by Rowland; 11-30-2011 at 05:30 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:33 AM

Nice! Good to hear that the little Yota did well in the low temps. We hunted opening day with no luck. Saw 2 does. That's OK - plenty of season left to hunt!
Old 01-26-2012, 10:08 AM

Some nice looking animals guys. We filled both cow elk tags in our elk camp. I passed up on a couple deer during early muzzleloader deer season. Hunted hard during late season and finally connected with a doe on last day. Meat is meat!!
Old 09-10-2015, 11:23 AM

The Drawing process for Resident Deer Tags in Utah has left me tagless for 2 years now, unfortunately. I did shoot a 2 x 3 Muley a couple years ago. Wasn't super big antler wise, but had enough meat to feed the fam for a year and that's why I go.

This year I have a Spike Bull Elk tag (didn't draw a cow tag either!) and I will be trying for one, though that hunt has become a bit ridiculous around here the past 5 years or so. Otherwise it's upland game for me. I love the satisfaction of shooting a bird, I don't know why but it's always been my favorite. Pheasant would be nice, but where i live they kind of fall into the category of unicorns and Santa Claus, too many hunting farms have taken over the hunting areas and the populations have struggled here for a long time without the farms.

I'm hoping to nail a few coyotes this year, but who knows!
Old 10-16-2015, 07:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Im an Avid Pig hunter out here on the west coast albeit I got skunked the last two trips .

I also really really enjoy Duck season as its usually pretty fast paced and tons of fun . There is just something about being on a big ol floating duck blind with my best bros that is food for the soul .

I'm traveling to Montana for my first white tail hunt this year I cant even begin to explain how excited I am . I have never been east of Idaho and I love to travel so the whole experience is gonna be super cool .Ill def be dragging my trusty yota behind my Duramax all the way there and back .
Old 07-26-2018, 05:22 PM

At my age deer-elk-bear are out of the question, upland birds are my thing, ruff grouse, blue grouse, spruce grouse, and if I can and am lucky sage grouse. I have always had chessies but as I slowed down I got into red setters, I am on my second one and love them.
Old 07-26-2018, 08:09 PM

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts
Sweet thread revival! I hunt Elk, deer, and bear here in Oregon. Dream of hunting big horn, billies, and prong horns one of these days.