Sportsman Section Hunting, guns/rifles, knives, archery, and fishing topics go here

One Gun ONLY.... Which One??

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are looking for a camping gun, go with a revolver, a simple DA/SA in 357 or larger will do just fine. you can practice with 38. cal and carry 357. How ever if you want a semi-auto magazine fed type fire arm go with what ever feels good in your hand. The best gun for you regardless of caliber will be one you can shoot "WELL". I know people are gonna say a 45 ACP in 1911 is the best, I have 3. I know people are gonna say that GLOCK in any caliber is best, its like an AK-47, keep it fed with ammo and it will always shoot. But it comes down to what you can shoot and how it feels. As far as daily carry or Concealed Carry. A big gun is just that big, depending on how large you are the garment you chose to cover it with, they are hard to conceal. But like you said, your gonna carry it and go camping. Unless your carrying an 8" 44 mag no one is gonna call you Dirty Harry. I personally like the Taurus Judge for defense and camping. I have the "compact" version Public Defender. Nice little shooter, you can load either 410 buckshot or 45 long colt.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Jacobeo5
If you are looking for a camping gun, go with a revolver, a simple DA/SA in 357 or larger will do just fine. you can practice with 38. cal and carry 357. How ever if you want a semi-auto magazine fed type fire arm go with what ever feels good in your hand. The best gun for you regardless of caliber will be one you can shoot "WELL". I know people are gonna say a 45 ACP in 1911 is the best, I have 3. I know people are gonna say that GLOCK in any caliber is best, its like an AK-47, keep it fed with ammo and it will always shoot. But it comes down to what you can shoot and how it feels. As far as daily carry or Concealed Carry. A big gun is just that big, depending on how large you are the garment you chose to cover it with, they are hard to conceal.
+1 what he said.

For a while, my "carry" gun was a Sig P220 in an IWB holster (right kidney companion). Man what a PITA it is to go to the bathroom to do "number 1" (and I drink lots of tea). The instant I unbuckle, the gun tries to pull my britches down to my ankles. First time that happened, I shuffled over to "number 2" stall to do my business before someone came in and got excited.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:25 AM

If you know how to properly shoot you can shoot almost any gun well, but therein lies the problem. I too choose guns based on pistol grip size somewhat. I have small hands and I like thinner grips. The 1911 with it's single stack mag is very thin. Even my full size Kimber is easy to conceal carry because it's thin.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:51 PM

I solved this whole problem by getting a gun in each "category". Subcompact, compact, full size, (all semi-auto's), full size .357 revolver, .22 rifles and pistols, various shotguns, AR style, MBR (M1A), large caliber hunting cannon, and various other foreign models. In case there are any govt types reading this I'm only speaking "hypothetically" of course. I'll rephrase: If I was to solve this whole problem I would get the above...

Seriously though I would say that the way things are going these days I would try to buy any gun you can get your hands on. (Legal ones of course) It's probably just a matter of time before that opportunity and right will be going away. Or at least they will try...

"A shotgun, a rifle, and a four wheel drive (Toyota), a country boy can survive."
Old 01-27-2010, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by m1ashooter
Seriously though I would say that the way things are going these days I would try to buy any gun you can get your hands on. (Legal ones of course) It's probably just a matter of time before that opportunity and right will be going away. Or at least they will try...
The legal ones are kind of a gamble because the government knows you have them then. The Obama SS is sure to try to come get your guns.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by merfal
The legal ones are kind of a gamble because the government knows you have them then. The Obama SS is sure to try to come get your guns.
Just make sure you give them your ammo first.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:54 PM

By legal I mean not automatic weapons or short barreled guns etc. Buying a gun without a background check or a "registration" is not illegal and I would urge anyone that has an opportunity to buy one like that is certainly the way to go so no one knows you have it. And yes when they come for them give it to them one bullet at a time.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:08 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Fully automatic, suppressors, <16" barrel rifles, <18" barrel shotguns are NOT illegal.

You merely have to fill out a form, get local LEO to sign it, pay $200 in taxes, and wait about 3 months.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:31 AM

Sig p220 with Rail!

I carry a sig P220 TAK you can mount a light at night if you are camping and its night time + 45 acp , I am not into 1911 I will admit the gun fits comfortably in any hand , however not my gun , I am not one of those guys that want to carry light plastic , not for me either , the 9mm holds high capacity so you might look into that too. measure stop power against plenty of rounds , what kind of shooter are you????????
Old 02-03-2010, 04:27 PM

I'll clarify. By saying don't by illegal guns I refer to the ones that are actually illegal not the ones that can be purchased legally.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:18 AM

WELP I FINALLY MADE A CHOICE

And after much reading, deliberation, contemplation, and lots of magazines and youtube reviews (ie nutnfancy) I've settled on my one gun.

Glock 30 .45 subcompact, slim frame with 3 1/2lb trigger, night sights.

For the price I just couldn't beat it. A 10mm was my first choice but the ammo is just too exotic and expensive. I took a subcompact since I'm in CA and can only have 10 rounds anyway, so I lose nothing from the smaller gun, and I read many times that subcompact Glocks fire as accurately as the full size frame. Springfield XD's were a close second in value, but despite the many great reviews I just didn't feel they are as proven and read about some failures that are starting to show up after thousands of rounds. Sig, HK, and Kimber are awesome but just too pricey for now. Revolvers were a bit heavy for my taste.
The 30 felt good. I really debated over a .45 vs .40 because I wanted a bit more accuracy, but a gun shop guy really hit home when he said as long as 25-50yds is a tight spread, you don't need any more in a pistol. That is the maximum a pistol is really intended to be used for. The big drop of the .45 round didn't bug me anymore. With only 10 rounds in the mag, I want to assure sufficient energy to stop a charging bear if need be (0.0001% chance but piece of mind is appreciated)

I'm still in my waiting period, so no fun with it yet, but I'll post once I get it in my hands.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:34 AM
Contributing Member

I just got a Glock 19 and a Walter P22 for the wife to go shooting. In the next 6 months, get a Sig P250 or P229 or Beretta PX4, because I would like to have one.

The reason I got the Glock first, is that it a good gun to have in the mud and dirt.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:47 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Did you actually shoot one?

Glock triggers work for some people, not for others ... you either swear BY them or AT them - nothing in between
Old 02-20-2010, 02:59 PM
Contributing Member

the Glock 19, I have put about 600 rounds through it, I think the triggers are easy to learn.

The others that I would like to buy, none yet

Last edited by coops2k; 02-20-2010 at 03:48 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:25 PM

http://dynamicarmament.com/items/han...ss4-detail.htm

Bond arms Snake Slayer. .410 over under. Shoots 3" 410 buck shot. That's what I carry. Cant kill it with that...It cant die.

Carry it in the truck w. buck shot. In the field with bird shot for the moccasins and copper heads.

Kicks like a mule, loud as heck.

Just point and bang.... Everything in that general area goes away.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:29 PM

Fits perfect in your jacket pocket, or the back pocket of your jeans too.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:00 PM
tc
Contributing Member

If that's what you want, get the Taurus Judge and have more than 2 shots.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:05 PM

My opinion, but I feel those 410 handguns are worthless. May be good for snakes, but that's about it. No way I'd have it as my only gun, much less in my arsenal at all.

Last edited by cackalak han; 03-01-2010 at 08:07 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:03 AM

HAHAHA...I was waiting for the responses.... I like the Snake Slayer because its small. In Texas as long as its concealed in the car u can have a pistol. Can legally carry it to your job, from ur car, and same for the house. I usually have a 12 ga as well. Which is a long gun and ok to carry fully loaded ready to go in the car/truck, round in the chamber. The Taurus Judge is BIG. You could hammer nails with it. Snake slayer is no bigger than the palm of my hand.

.410 hand guns used to be junk IE the thunder 5.

The snake slayer also handles a 45 colt round sooooooo....

The only time I'd pull it is pretty much for a car jacking/car window robbery and I do believe it would work perfect for that. I keep it just beside my seat tucked under a piece of the old carpet.

Any other instance, I'd grab the 12 GA defender out of the back seat, or Beretta 12 or what other long gun I have back there. Some times its the AK, or AR, or 8mm Mauser, .308 leaver action.... Depending on what I'm going to be doing that weekend.

I know I got off topic, as the poster already bought a gun, and was looking for a target pistol. I just really like the Bond Arms .410. It is a great little gun and for sure not junk. Just was curious to see what responses I got.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by rjfortuna
In Texas as long as its concealed in the car u can have a pistol. Can legally carry it to your job, from ur car, and same for the house.
There are specific situations defined in the TX laws where you can carry on work premises w/o license, and whether concealed-carry or open-carry in those cases (and whether CHL allows you to carry at work or not).

You do not need a CHL to open-carry at work if your boss declares it is vital to your job role -- gun store employee or ranch hand comes to mind.

More to your point, if you do not have the CHL, and your boss hasn't indicated one way or the other, you cannot pack a pistol at work.

One annoyance about Texas laws is that even CHL-licensed employees cannot pack heat at work if instructed not-to-do-so (even a one-liner in the employee handbook is sufficient to prohibit you). This one comes up every now-and-again in the legislature but usually dies in committee. There are some nit-picking as to whether a handbook one-liner is sufficient by-the-law, but most sane folks don't want to (pay to) test that in court.

I guess it's nice to think that Texas favors the rights of land-owners. :shrug:

You don't need to take my word for it, the laws are available online: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/adminis...elatedlaws.htm

(guess who just renewed their TX-CHL?)

Quick Reply: One Gun ONLY.... Which One??