Sportsman Section Hunting, guns/rifles, knives, archery, and fishing topics go here

One Gun ONLY.... Which One??

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 08:55 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If your question was one gun only for every possible use, the answer is a shotgun.

Since you narrowed it down to personal protection, particularly in the woods, my answer would be a 357 magnum revolver
- shoot 38 for practice, cheap enough that you will be encouraged to practice
- also, as mentioned above, 38 will always be available
- great stopping power when loaded with 357 - 50% more muzzle energy than 9mm

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...-1&isFirearm=Y

If weight is a super concern:
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...-1&isFirearm=Y
Old 01-20-2010, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I gotta say I love my XD 9 subcompact........
Old 01-21-2010, 06:27 AM

For just one gun for all? I would use a XD 45 compact still a 4 in barrel and you can choose between a 10 round mag for concelled carry or 14 round mag for every thing else. That would be my choice.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:50 AM
Banned

As a working man, one of my major concerns beyond stopping power is can i get ammo and is it gonna be atronomically expensive. Anyone buy any 380 lately? Ya not gonna happen and if it does $40/50 a box, second thought, ur more likely of being hit by lighting then mauled by a bear, so lets think more in terms of what u can shoot comfortable and reliably and enjoy. I personally carry a glock 23, in 40cal but 9mm would be my second choice.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by interested2meet
As a working man, one of my major concerns beyond stopping power is can i get ammo and is it gonna be atronomically expensive. Anyone buy any 380 lately? Ya not gonna happen and if it does $40/50 a box, second thought, ur more likely of being hit by lighting then mauled by a bear, so lets think more in terms of what u can shoot comfortable and reliably and enjoy. I personally carry a glock 23, in 40cal but 9mm would be my second choice.
To take that further, how many have actually had to use their firearm in self defense? Much less pulled it out? My teacher said, get what you can shoot accurately and reliably--don't worry too much about stopping power. I figured some .38 rounds in my revolver will do the trick. Also, most civilian gun fights end in less than 3 shots. Less complicated revolvers also have a good advantage for me. But I've always wanted to get a 9mm.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:19 PM

I must reiterate that no matter what the "stopping power" of the weapon you choose, if you can't hit anything with it then it you shouldn't even bother shooting. Someone will probably take it and beat you with it. I've qualified (barely in some cases) cops that go to the range no less that two times a year! Wow a whole two times? I don't have a problem with that as long as you are only defending yourself against one of those crazy human shaped paper targets.

Don't have money for ammo? Me neither. Practice dry firing while following all the safety rules. This is excellent for working on your trigger pull and reset as well as other things. Attend some kind of shooting courses.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:22 PM

I am a Marine and until about a year ago I was a Close Quarters Battle instructor. I know a lot about guns, shooting, ballistics, conceal carry, etc. For now what I will say is don't get anything smaller than a .40. I personally only have .45's and a 10 mil. A 1911 style pistol is what I prefer to cary and it is not a problem to carry with a round in the chamber and the hammer cocked. I have a full size Kimber (5 inch barrel) and a micro compact Springfield (3 inch barrel), both 1911's that will both easily reach 50 yards with accuracy. Sig, springfield, and kimber are some of the best guns out there and are all I will buy. I prob said too much but I could talk forever about this stuff.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
when i go out and am prepared for a SHTF situation i like my m14/ m1a with 4 20rd mags loaded with hornady 168gr rounds so i can hunt protect my self and have quick follow up shots and survive for a while, if on kodiak or other large grizz area it would be a marlin 45-70.

i still like the short 12ga pump for home protection though....
Old 01-21-2010, 06:09 PM

I carry a Glock 19 (9mm) everyday. Compact 15+1 with Federal Premium Low Recoil 135 grain hydra-shok JHP. I have an Inside the Waist Band holster (Don Hume leather) I dont even know its there, of course it turns into your wardrobe like your wallet or watch.

Know what youre going to use it for, shoot other handguns and see what you like. Handguns are like cars, get one that suits you. The caliber arguement will never end. I have shot at self defense schools, stock matches, target shooting, drills, everything with not one malfunction. For target and practice I shoot S and B 115 grain ammo. Glock fits my hands, I like the Safe-Action. I like the magazines. I like all aspects. Safe, Simple, Reliable, Accurate, Durable.

Also look at reviews and consumer reports. Watch the Abuse or Toture tests.
James Yeager at Tactical Response shot 1000 rounds through his Glock 19 straight. on the last two mags the Drive Rod melted, fell out, and Glock kept firing away.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by merfal
I am a Marine and until about a year ago I was a Close Quarters Battle instructor. I know a lot about guns, shooting, ballistics, conceal carry, etc. For now what I will say is don't get anything smaller than a .40. I personally only have .45's and a 10 mil. A 1911 style pistol is what I prefer to cary and it is not a problem to carry with a round in the chamber and the hammer cocked. I have a full size Kimber (5 inch barrel) and a micro compact Springfield (3 inch barrel), both 1911's that will both easily reach 50 yards with accuracy. Sig, springfield, and kimber are some of the best guns out there and are all I will buy. I prob said too much but I could talk forever about this stuff.
Always seem to get mixed answers about this. A guy I know was in SWAT, and all he carries is a 9mm. He once answered the question, "that's only a 9mm," with, "you won't know the difference when I put two in your chest and one in your head."

I'm not saying he's right and you're wrong, or vice versa, but just thought it is interesting.

Last edited by cackalak han; 01-21-2010 at 06:27 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:25 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
any one of the guns below!
Those are custom made by Daryl Wong.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:29 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
SEMPER FI Merfal
Old 01-22-2010, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by cackalak han
Always seem to get mixed answers about this. A guy I know was in SWAT, and all he carries is a 9mm. He once answered the question, "that's only a 9mm," with, "you won't know the difference when I put two in your chest and one in your head."

I'm not saying he's right and you're wrong, or vice versa, but just thought it is interesting.
I know what you're saying. And for someone highly trained a 9 mil may be adequate, but the fact is ballistically the 9 mil and 38 special are near equals and both are weak. Someone on a swat team is trained for high stress situations and will be more capable of delivering accurate shots. An average person will not be as accurate in such a situation and a larger caliber is a way of making up for it. Also, if you read any of the FBI's investigation into which caliber to use when the 10 mil was developed, there have been cases in which a fatally wounded suspect lived and continued to fight for several minutes when wounded by smaller caliber rounds such as the 38 special.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:58 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
9mm Critical Defense ammo has plenty of stopping power for a personal protection easily concealable automatic

Old 01-22-2010, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Teuf
SEMPER FI Merfal
Semper Fi
Old 01-22-2010, 04:24 PM
Contributing Member

I chose this one Cheap to shoot, and I'm all about the plinking! Won't do squat to stop a bear though.

MP 15-22
Old 01-23-2010, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by merfal
I know what you're saying. And for someone highly trained a 9 mil may be adequate, but the fact is ballistically the 9 mil and 38 special are near equals and both are weak. Someone on a swat team is trained for high stress situations and will be more capable of delivering accurate shots. An average person will not be as accurate in such a situation and a larger caliber is a way of making up for it. Also, if you read any of the FBI's investigation into which caliber to use when the 10 mil was developed, there have been cases in which a fatally wounded suspect lived and continued to fight for several minutes when wounded by smaller caliber rounds such as the 38 special.
The debate will never end. Different rounds for different shooters and situations. Its still fun to hear all the arguements and why certain people choose certain rounds.
I carry 9mm because its cheaper to practice, which leads to more practice, more practice leads to more incapacitating hits, First few shots are to create distance so you can move off the "X" and engage with more lethal and accurate shots, finishing the fight and or killing bad guy.

Last edited by speltwrong; 01-23-2010 at 04:19 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by speltwrong
The debate will never end. Different rounds for different shooters and situations. Its still fun to hear all the arguements and why certain people choose certain rounds.
I carry 9mm because its cheaper to practice, which leads to more practice, more practice leads to more incapacitating hits, First few shots are to create distance so you can move off the "X" and engage with more lethal and accurate shots, finishing the fight and or killing bad guy.
Yes, the debate will last forever. As far as the ammo goes I reload my own which is the cheapest option I've found.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:58 AM

I choose the James T Kirk method of problem solving....change the problem. There is no ONE gun solution; which presents a more piercing question. Which guns won't I buy?
Old 01-25-2010, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by fustercluck
I choose the James T Kirk method of problem solving....change the problem. There is no ONE gun solution; which presents a more piercing question. Which guns won't I buy?
Just remember, the handgun is what you use to fight you way back to your real weapon.

Quick Reply: One Gun ONLY.... Which One??