Sportsman Section Hunting, guns/rifles, knives, archery, and fishing topics go here

No Ammo = No Guns

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 07:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spanish-road
Well it was shot down before and since most of the ammo inc have spoken on this topic and stated that it would be impossible to engrave a id number on the bullet and case. This would be impossible to do. Yeah I want to know more but i just for one don't trust the nra and their views two i want to see it in print with the header of .gov

I would like to know more to so lets make it informative on what we know. This is our government and we are the voice and lets not sound stupid but be informative so we don't get our tails crossed.
Actually with laser etching it would be fairly easy [albeit impractical] to "print" an id# on each round/case...

most target shooters I know up here reload there own to save money and get more precise loads...

a way around this would be to require only the round to be etched... [the round after all being the part that does the damage lol]... the casings could be left blank...

in any case any new law will only make a difference to the law abiding... criminals will still get what they need regardless...

Last edited by aviator; 02-20-2009 at 07:54 PM.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:50 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Toddski
A friend just sent me this.

Subject: And so it starts!! The confiscation of guns is coming if we let this pass.

Are you ready for the House Bill titled 'HR 45, Blair Holt Licensing and Record Act of 2009'. It will make it illegal to own a firearm unless it is registered with the database in Washington D.C. As a gun owner you will have to be finger printed, you will be required to provide your DL#, SS#, you must maintain a valid address at all times, submit to mental and physical health records being put on file, you will also be required to file any address changes and you any ownership changes even if private sale. Each update will cost $25 and if you fail to comply you will lose your right to own firearms. This bill and its language mirror almost completely one defeated last year in the House of Representatives by soon to be Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel. We the citizenry should be as lucky this time?

Pass this on to everyone who believes in strict Constitutionalism and remember that laws only apply to those who obey them. Criminals by definition and nature do not abide by laws. New laws and restrictions only apply to the law abiding citizen and are not written with the criminal in mind. With guns, it is not about having laws on the books to prosecute individuals, it is about taking guns away from the people so that no one has them in the first place. One last item to note, when assuming power and creating a fascist state, Hitler was a proponent of strong gun laws because a disarmed populace was much easier to control than an armed one. The kings of old also outlawed weapons of any kind in any region that they conquered to quell the ability of the citizens to up rise against them.

The Founding Fathers of this nation understood all of the above and because of this they included the second amendment in the constitution. In fact, they knew that at some point in every society's life span that the need for the population to arise came about. To this end they made they right to keep and bear arms against a tyrannical state an absolute right that could not be revoked. They did this because the first thing tyrants and despots do is to remove a populations right to defend themselves. When this is done the tyrants have no problem with the destruction of society as we know it.

Send this on to all true patriots! Protect your Second Amendment

http://www.scribd.com/doc/11057958/H...e-Act-of-2009-
We already have a similar "Gun Registry" here in Can. and it is mainly a bureaucratic PITA/tax grab... we already had an FAC [firearms acquisition certificate] program that required safety training/criminal/mental background checks and 3 non-family references that did a fairly good job...
with the registry you need to show and have recorded your FAC [gun license] the quantity/calibre of your purchase incl. address and so on many stores keep those records in a note book on the counter where any customer [ie criminal] can read it to find a good house to B&E later...

does it make a diff. to over all gun crime rates? hard to say most of our "crime guns" are still coming from the good ole' USA LOL ... so you be the judge...

back on topic though all it really does is allow the gov't/law enforcement to know "for sure" who has what weapons and where they have them argueably increasing everyone's "safety"...
our biggest fear here is the gov't will have some knee jerk reaction the next time there is a mass shooting and "ban" [seize] all copies of the firearm[s] used in the slaying like they did with the so called "Montreal massacre" a few years ago...
Old 02-20-2009, 08:16 PM
Contributing Member

welcome to canada boys! we wont feel so lonely now, they are trying to take away your guns just like here!

fink, this isnt a political statement but fact. the hoops that legitimate gun owners had to jump through in the past 30 years is utterly ridiculous. one good thing that is apparently happening is, the gun registry is quietly being dismantled. over 2 billion dollars WASTED on some program that had no hope of working the way the bleeding hearts had hoped.

you folks have a constitutional right, you had better fight hard for it.

lee
Old 02-20-2009, 09:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well i for one am not to worried this is still hear-say the plan to go digital (tv) was official and the cant even do that on time. and given the current prison capacity i doubt they can hold all of the NRA members much less everyone who owns ammo and refuses to switch to the "new" stuff or stops reloading.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:38 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I personally would like to see the govt TRY to engrave serial numbers on .22 ammo. If they could, can you imagine how cost effective it would be? Just think they'd have to invent a new ammunition tax (or taxes) to cover the added expense.

If there was one state primed for an outrageous stunt like the proposed, it's California.

I would not be surprised at all if the govt started classifying a .22 long rifle as an assault rifle of some sort...

Do any of you honestly believe the govt cares about "safety" with the proposed bill, and not the billions of dollars in tax revenues created from it?
Old 02-21-2009, 11:35 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Just Learning
THANK GOD I MOVED FROM AZ, i target shoot, even if the bullet is coded, a crook will just steal everything ammo, gun

Bingo! That would be the downside of the serial numbers. I can go to a shooting range and so can anyone. If someone were smart enough they can find the exact same shell you used for target practicing and frame YOU for it. That would be somewhat of a debate in court I would believe.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:04 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for all the good info and opinions guys, and thanks for keeping it clean and non-political - I appreciate it.

I've been watching the news and reading MSNBC.com everyday at work (mainly because thats the only page not blocked) to see if anything new has come down the pike.

Fink
Old 02-22-2009, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by stormin94
I would not be surprised at all if the govt started classifying a .22 long rifle as an assault rifle of some sort...
That's the total irony in the "Brady Bill", btw.

For you young'ns..

James Brady was critically wounded during the attempted assassination of Reagan by John Hinckley in 1981. The gun used was a Röhm RG-14 (.22LR "rimfire") revolver.

The bill was named after him.
The bill did absolutely nothing to regulate .22 rimfire weapons.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Windsor
9mm for a rifle?
yes my friend has a Ruger PC9GR PC-9 Carbine 9mm Rifle. but it jets jammed all the time.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:47 PM

you know the sad thing is that anyone can still walk through the Ace hardware store and pickup enough materials and chemicals to make bombs, so do they want us to have background checks for fertilizer, or gasoline or other stuff? maybe they won't sell knives or chainsaws, where is it gonna end? scary thoughts...
the MT legislature is trying to eliminate the background check requirement for guns and ammo made it montana, and something else about concealled carry...
Old 02-22-2009, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by 4x4Fink
...If, after this is passed, you are caught with non-numbered rounds - each one is a felony.
I'd have about 4 to 5 thousand felonies in my basement...

It is ridiculous. I'm no longer worried about the gov't taking away my guns. It has been their plan for some time now to simply limit access to ammo as it is not protected by the constitution. I too have heard the rumors of the "10 cent per round tax" that would make a box of 500 .22cal cost $75. Keep in mind- to those who oppose guns, my barrel shroud makes my shotgun a "assault weapon," and if my gun looks mean, it's probably going to kill someone, or if it holds more than 10 rounds, it's probably a full-auto, havoc wreaking, death machine. They try to rationalize their thoughts then impose them on others. Or maybe they're just real worried about those paper targets I use.

The price of 9mm here has increased over 200% in the past 3 yrs. I've succumbed to the fact that I can either spend $500 on a new gun, or I can purchase ammo for the firearms I already have. Guess which I'm doing?

The only people a gun affects are law abiding citizens.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:38 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There's one thing I don't understand...

I didn't vote for any of the people that proposed/support this bill. Why don't they try to control the people that voted for them?

I just don't understand that. Whatever happened to compromises to benefit the greater good?
Old 02-26-2009, 12:57 PM
Contributing Member

And it begins...

Fink
Old 02-26-2009, 01:27 PM
Contributing Member

Here we go...So if the military uses 9mm's does that make it a semi auto military style weapon? No clips holding 10 or more bullets? So what difference does that make? Seems like there are bigger fish to fry at this point. Economy and the realtions with other nations seem to be going down the crapper and he wants to worry about guns? I want a "told you so" bumper sticker!
Old 02-26-2009, 01:29 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by gilby4runner
Here we go...So if the military uses 9mm's does that make it a semi auto military style weapon? No clips holding 10 or more bullets? So what difference does that make? Seems like there are bigger fish to fry at this point. Economy and the realtions with other nations seem to be going down the crapper and he wants to worry about guns? I want a "told you so" bumper sticker!
Yeah I don't know, this whole thing has me fuming.
I just hope I'm able to get my hands on an AR-15 before it goes into effect but with money being as tight as it is right now for me, it's looking dim.

I also need to stock up on 9mm rounds for my Sig, too.
No luck there yet either.

Fink
Old 02-26-2009, 01:44 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4x4Fink
Yeah I don't know, this whole thing has me fuming.
I just hope I'm able to get my hands on an AR-15 before it goes into effect but with money being as tight as it is right now for me, it's looking dim.

I also need to stock up on 9mm rounds for my Sig, too.
No luck there yet either.

Fink
I bought my wife a handgun and there were no bullets in town to buy....Even wally world is sold out on handgun ammo. I am trying to buy it when i see it but good lord. Prices are skyrocketing even for 9mm. The price of my deer rifle shell has more than doubled in two years. I just get mad at crap like this.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:15 PM

try this link on for size.

http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/...009-02-26.html
Old 02-26-2009, 02:17 PM

what about hand loads? oh s**t does that make me a terrorist? its not my fault i like accuracy and have guns that you cannot buy factory ammo for, and believe me in bend oregon the last thing you have to shoot is a human, theres so many other things to kill like deer rabbits ect. im rambling on.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:56 PM

Well.........this is killing me I cant even imagine what it would take to serial number ammo My friends and I easily go through 3000 rounds in a 3 day weekend of heavy shooting. and what am i supposed to do with my 1000 rounds of Mil Surp ammo. I guess they are getting what they want. I was gonna buy my girl a new 9mm but since I cant get ammo whats the point. How is this fair to the ammo manufacturer they are putting people out of business. "Free Country" Only for the crooked and criminals. Hard working Law abiding citizens get screwed everytime.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by gilby4runner
...Economy and the realtions with other nations seem to be going down the crapper and he wants to worry about guns? I want a "told you so" bumper sticker!
Oh, don't worry. He's got the economy under control. And didn't you read the article- this will help Mexico. After all, if it's good for Mexico, it's good for US. ??

Quick Reply: No Ammo = No Guns