Sportsman Section Hunting, guns/rifles, knives, archery, and fishing topics go here

I need a knife....

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 05:56 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ontos
The Flash II is a good knife, but in field testing it was a little less durable than some other designs.......the graphite handles are a little more durable, but really....just for looks. I didn't particularly care for the Flash II because it just didn't feel very substantial in my hand, however, that's offset by the fact that it's very lightweight. If you're into the assited opening designs, the Kershaw "Blur" is probably the best of the breed....I highly encourage you to check it out.
Get what feels good in your hand. My top picks are, like I said, the SOG X-Ray Vision, Cold Steel Voyager (not the Recon, it's overpriced crap, bad tempers on the blade, poorly designed locking mechanism, VERY unlike Cold Steel to put out something like that), just about any SpydraCo (the exception being the "Police" model, which is an excellent design....right up until you get to the texture of the steel handles, if your hands are sweaty, it'll pop right out), and the Al-Mar folders. Al-Mar knives are a little more pricey than other, competing designs, but the level of craftsmanship is a world apart from everything else on the market right now, plus....Al Mar is a really nice guy.
Yea, I need something really light. It will be on me 10-16 holurs a day, so I dont want it to start feeling unconfortable or anything.

I personally cant go to a shop to try them out. I dont know of any around me, plus they wouldnt sell to me becuase of my age...

...and please lets not make htis a "Youre HOW OLD anr youre asking to carry a knife" flame fest..
Old 04-03-2005, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Gangus2006
Yea, I need something really light. It will be on me 10-16 holurs a day, so I dont want it to start feeling unconfortable or anything.

I personally cant go to a shop to try them out. I dont know of any around me, plus they wouldnt sell to me becuase of my age...

...and please lets not make htis a "Youre HOW OLD anr youre asking to carry a knife" flame fest..
Not trying to flame you here, but what would some one your age be needing to carry a knife around, there are A LOT of other ways to handle it.
Old 04-03-2005, 06:04 PM

I know hte laws. I did 6 years of Karate, along with my dad teaching me. But I need somehting more on my side. These pussies will not carry guns. I know that. But they do carry knives.

I know that if I evened the odds out (knife vs. no-knife) I would win. I wouldnt be the dumbass pulling first. I know how to control myself, and at times, the other person. I just want that extra peace-of-mind, knowing its there if I need it...

Im sorry but when i hear you say you have five yrs experience, and some training w/DAD, I have to wonder why you even get into the mess your in? I thought your taught to think things through, and not cause confrontation, so I agree with the mace and try and to keep the violence out of it weapons only beget more trouble......
Old 04-03-2005, 06:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jc1kz
Im sorry but when i hear you say you have five yrs experience, and some training w/DAD, I have to wonder why you even get into the mess your in? I thought your taught to think things through, and not cause confrontation, so I agree with the mace and try and to keep the violence out of it weapons only beget more trouble......
Here goes...

This girl who THINKS she knows me aksed me some questions about my personal life, and i answered...

apparently she thinks im lying, and is highly offended. She took it way too far, telling all her friends to kick my ass and the like...

,...it was completely out of my control...

...she syas that if I apologize, itll all go away, but I WILL NOT apologize..
Old 04-03-2005, 06:26 PM

Yeah I figured you would get the most PC responses on this forum, which is cool and I totally agree. But just imagine if you were fighting someone and they pulled out pepper spray.
Old 04-03-2005, 06:34 PM
Banned

unless you called her a slut and said no and that pissed her off because she thinks you are lying dont worry about it... its all crap...... how old are you? and how old is this girl you know who thinks she knows you? time for a lesson in life and reality, seriously....
Old 04-03-2005, 06:41 PM

Here goes...

This girl who THINKS she knows me aksed me some questions about my personal life, and i answered...

apparently she thinks im lying, and is highly offended. She took it way too far, telling all her friends to kick my ass and the like...

,...it was completely out of my control...

Man, this is just high school drama. There's no need for you to carry around a knife, it will just make things worse for you. Let it go, it's not worth it. If they try and kick your butt, then just run, if you can't get away, then they are going to have bigger issues on their hands.
Old 04-03-2005, 06:43 PM

Attached Thumbnails I need a knife....-ps3-10pepper-spray-fogger.jpg  
Old 04-03-2005, 06:47 PM

The one thing that I'm going to assume is that the most likely place they will confront you is school, right? Well, you DON'T want to be carrying pepper spray, a knife, or any thing for that matter. My bro, who is about your age, delt with some crap, just don't do it.
Old 04-03-2005, 07:15 PM
Banned

i would go with this. I have taken knife fighting classess and if you do not know how to handle a knife, i dont suggest you getting one. If you do pull it out, expect to get cut. just my .02 This is what i bought for my friend its the ASP palm defender, its really small yet very effective. Also, if you pull a knife while the other guy is fighting with his hands, you're gonna look realllly guilty. Id say avoid the situation as much as possible, just walk away. If they see you walk away, hopefully they wont do anything. Ive taken many years of martial arts and have only used it once. Most people around your age just want to talk a lot, unless you're in an urban enviroment, then thats a diff story

Last edited by Localmotion; 04-03-2005 at 07:21 PM.
Old 04-03-2005, 07:30 PM

Worst case scenario, If you get into a situation were you're unable to flee a practical self defence gadget would be something that every high school sophomore and up are carrying already... a hefty set of keys on a tether. Give a good swing and get the heck out.

This is a technique suggested by self defence author Massad Ayoob for self defence in sensitive areas where you can't carry weapons like a commerical flight or school. Also, for further defence if there are knives involved, you could use a backpack or jacket (instead of a floatation device) as a simple shield.

You could also throw and go. Toss a book at the guy and book it straight to athourity.

Either way, just avoid the situation all together. Be aware of your surroundings and always have a way out.
Old 04-03-2005, 07:34 PM
Banned

WELL PUT
Old 04-03-2005, 10:09 PM
Banned

ACTUALLY THIS IS ALL STUPID HIGH SCHOOL DRAMA!!!

and consdiering you are 16 years old, having a knife on you x amount of hours a day is going to get you into serious trouble.... you are talking about having a knife on you while in high school.. dont nkow about you, but you can get expelled for having a knife at school out where i live.... and maybe everyone does it, but does that mean its right? nope .... its friggen high school!!!!! also not even sure about the laws, but you are 16, will places even sell you knives or pepper spray?
Old 04-03-2005, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by jimabena74
ACTUALLY THIS IS ALL STUPID HIGH SCHOOL DRAMA!!!

and consdiering you are 16 years old, having a knife on you x amount of hours a day is going to get you into serious trouble.... you are talking about having a knife on you while in high school.. dont nkow about you, but you can get expelled for having a knife at school out where i live.... and maybe everyone does it, but does that mean its right? nope .... its friggen high school!!!!! also not even sure about the laws, but you are 16, will places even sell you knives or pepper spray?
Jim is right. Look here and you'll see why https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f5/im-soooooooo-pissed-right-now-53328/

If you really feel threatened, then go to the administration of the school, or the cops. If you're willing to carry a knife to protect yourself, you should just go to the police and make things MUCH eaiser on you.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:17 AM

yeah man, if your in high school talkin about carrying a knife for 10-16 hours a day for self defence, either your going to school in a hard ass place, or your just worried way to much,

if something does happen, run like hell,

not what I do, but I also know that most anyone I come across my age range is gonna be pummeled before they know what happens.

wade
Old 04-04-2005, 01:10 AM
Contributing Member

I have been hit by OC (Oleoresin Capsicum) pepper spray before while training some of my students with it and I can tell you right now, if I was an aggressor there is absolutely NO way I would go through with an attack if I was sprayed. That stuff is liquid fire and it saps you of all will to do anything but claw that freaking stuff out of your face.

If you absolutely MUST carry something carry a can of OC. Just remember that it is a felony to use it offensively vs. defensively.

As everyone has already said. Leave the knife at home and use your brains not your hands.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:18 AM
Banned

its illegal to use anyways, this kid is 16 and wants to carry it around at school with him.....

seriously, go tell the school resource officer.... who cares if you are "being a snitch" its your safety... and im telling you this from experience... you can be a snitch and have them get in trouble or you can be a wimp and be scared forever.....
Old 04-04-2005, 05:57 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Seems like a much easier route than going to jail or buying a TiNi knife....maybe you might reconsider.
Old 04-04-2005, 06:55 AM

Go with mace, I've accidentally sprayed myself, and I'll tell you that if you get hit in the eyes, you aren't going anywhere. seems a lot easier than trying to kill a guy.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:46 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Racer944
Go with mace, I've accidentally sprayed myself, and I'll tell you that if you get hit in the eyes, you aren't going anywhere. seems a lot easier than trying to kill a guy.
NOTE: Point arrow away from face.