Sportsman Section Hunting, guns/rifles, knives, archery, and fishing topics go here

Ho ho ho, Santa came early (AR15 upgrades) Glock21SF/Glock 36 too

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 07:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Corey
He he he...

I was reading up more on them, and they seemed to be the preferred optic over in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Spendy, but you get what you pay for.

The green horseshoe is also easier on the eyes than having a red chevron to view.
I've also read that the green reticle is faster to detect in all lights and angles than the red or yelow. I don't have any experience yet though. I've had to put most of my gun related purchaces on hold since we are looking to buy the formidable Mrs Fuster an FJ Cruiser(assuming that is what she wants still.)...and we always pay cash for our cars.

Last edited by fustercluck; 12-27-2010 at 08:00 AM.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:19 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Toddski
Lookin' good Corey!

Take a look at these ACOG's. We run these in airsoft. They do a great job for the price.
http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/ea-4x32-a...-sight-bk.html
That is a good price for that Todd without having it lit up inside.

Originally Posted by fustercluck
I've also read that the green reticle is faster to detect in all lights and angles than the red or yelow. I don't have any experience yet though. I've had to put most of my gun related purchaces on hold since we are looking to buy the formidable Mrs Fuster an FJ Cruiser(assuming that is what she wants still.)...and we always pay cash for our cars.
Everytime I visit that store by me I check out the optics.
I am very impressed with the Acogs how that horseshoe can light up with no battery power.

An FJ you say, cool.
Are you looking at a Trail Teams edition, or just a standard one?

I am not sure what my next gun purchace will be yet.
Either an AR in a 22 format, a Glock or similar for home defense (I would be scared to use the AR15 for that, to much wall penetration) or a Mossberg 500 pimped out with a nice stock, ammo saddle, ect.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:43 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

On sighting the rifle in...

I have seen the laser bore sights available from Cabelas that you drop in like a round, and I thought it would be cool to line up the sights, the main laser (Surefire X400 I installed) and sighting in with the future Acog I get.

Problem I have read about the Cabelas bore lasers in their reviews they say they do not turn on sometimes, and one guy had it jam on him a few times where he had to disassemble his AR.

Just ran across this vid on sighting in an Acog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feNGU49XrAY
Old 12-27-2010, 12:11 PM

Well were it up to me the FJ would have all the bells, buzzers and whistles. Since it's for she who must be obeyed, not so much...'course that leaves more cash in the ACOG kitty.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:51 PM

The Acog is the king of rifle scopes in Afghanistan for a reason

Red is easier on the night vision adjusted eyes.

An RDS would be cheaper, easier, and work just as well, however.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:41 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

I have heard nothing but great things about the Acogs.

Just bought a laser bore sighter via Amazon, it will arrive Friday.
SightMark Laser Bore Sights Cartridge Sizes: SightMark AccuDot Laser Bore Sight - 223 Model SM39001

There are some junk ones out there, but I have read the reviews of this one at Amazon and other sites, and it seems to be a good brand.

I intend on using it to fine tune in my Surefire X400 laser and light combo, and also the Acog TA31H-G I plan on getting before to long.

Anyone used a in chamber laser bore sighter before?
If so, did you have good luck with it?
Old 12-30-2010, 09:24 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Found some more info from the makers site on the bore laser.
http://sightmark.com/images/manuals/SM39001-008.pdf

http://sightmark.com/index.php?main_...products_id=20

I have never been to an indoor range before, so I am not sure what kind of paper targets they supply.
I will be looking into a few different ones I have seen online that leave a green goo when you hit it, and some zombie ones

Shoot NC

I am not sure what size to get if shooting indoors between 25 and 50 yards.

And for the zombie ones...

For outdoors in the mountains when I go, I have looked at some expensive metal targets that reset when you hit the reset paddle.

Theirs are pretty high priced at $369 for the high velocity one.

Metal Spinning Targets

The reset one

A cheaper one is at the site that has the green good NC targets.
World of Targets® Metal Targets

It states that it is for .38 to .44 magnum caliber pistols, I wonder if a 5.56 round will be OK, or will that ruin the metal?
That is a lot better priced at $72.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
5.56 will eat that thing! no, but being on a swinger, it will actually last a little while but your AR will chew that thing eventually. they are fun though, 1/2" plate or thicker is needed methinks.... military ones are close to 3/4" and the 5.56 takes a while to booger them, the 7.62 nato EATS them too though...

I would say to try it, it might last longer than expected with regular ammo; I'm used to green tip which has a bigger appetite for steel...

I think as long as you don't hit the stand too often, you should be able to weld up some new plates if they do get chawed very bad.

those are awesome for plinking though, MUCH more fun than paper!

Also, make sure to check with any range you shoot at whether they allow 'human' or 'sillouhette' targets, most indoor ranges encourage them but some places say strictly no 'human' like targets, just an fyi
Old 01-01-2011, 11:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
... you could say, "they're not human, they're ZOMBIES!!" hahaha
Old 01-15-2011, 02:15 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

The AR15 is still getting the Acog TA31H-G optic before to long, and I am picking up a Glock 21SF very soon for home defense and to have in the tent while camping.
The Glock will be in a new thread.

But I have had my eye on the S&W M&P AR15-22 for awhile since it will be very cheap to shoot, and I can shoot it at the local indoor range.
They make several models of this one, and some have had a few problems with it, but not with the MOE version I plan on getting, it has an upgraded "blue" spring in it which seems to have resolved some issues with earlier models.

Here is a snippet on it, and some reviews from owners.
http://www.tactical-life.com/online/...mp15-22-rifle/

Here is the site from S&W with links to them, and the MOE model I will get.
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...4_757784_image

MOE model
MSRP is $609, my local shops have it for $525.

Old 01-16-2011, 04:04 PM
Contributing Member

The AR15 is still getting the Acog TA31H-G optic before to long, and I am picking up a Glock 21SF very soon for home defense and to have in the tent while camping.
The Glock will be in a new thread.

But I have had my eye on the S&W M&P AR15-22 for awhile since it will be very cheap to shoot, and I can shoot it at the local indoor range.
They make several models of this one, and some have had a few problems with it, but not with the MOE version I plan on getting, it has an upgraded "blue" spring in it which seems to have resolved some issues with earlier models.

Here is a snippet on it, and some reviews from owners.
http://www.tactical-life.com/online/...mp15-22-rifle/

Here is the site from S&W with links to them, and the MOE model I will get.
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...4_757784_image

MOE model
MSRP is $609, my local shops have it for $525.

Right on! I want!!!!
Old 01-20-2011, 02:05 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Todd, my concealed weapon permit came in the mail today, so more than likely I will be picking up a Glock 21SF (45 ACP) either after work tomorrow, or early Saturday morning.
Jim has one and I really like it.
It will be my home defense/camping in the back country gun.

Then that 22 AR15 is my next purchase, then the Agog to finish off my AR15.

I will combine both the Glock and the S&W M&P AR15-22 in this thread.
The Glock will stay stock except for the Surefire X400 laser/light combo that is on my AR15 now, and the AR15-22 will get a GripPod and put the Surefire X400 on it too for indoor shooting at that range.

I need to get a safe later to keep all the new toys and ammo in.
Jim has a really nice one.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:09 PM
Contributing Member

Todd, my concealed weapon permit came in the mail today, so more than likely I will be picking up a Glock 21SF (45 ACP) either after work tomorrow, or early Saturday morning.
Jim has one and I really like it.
It will be my home defense/camping in the back country gun.

Then that 22 AR15 is my next purchase, then the Agog to finish off my AR15.

I will combine both the Glock and the S&W M&P AR15-22 in this thread.
The Glock will stay stock except for the Surefire X400 laser/light combo that is on my AR15 now, and the AR15-22 will get a GripPod and put the Surefire X400 on it too for indoor shooting at that range.

I need to get a safe later to keep all the new toys and ammo in.
Jim has a really nice one.
Right on!
I had a dream the other night. I usually dont remember my dreams but this one really got me upset.
In my dream i was asleep and i woke up to my youngest son standing by my bed. I asked him what was wrong and he told me there was someone downstairs.
This woke me up out of my dream and i my heart was beating so fast. All i could think about is "what am i going to do". We live out pretty far and it would take a sheriff a long time to respond.
I think my goal this year is some time at the firing range and a lot of studying about home protection!!
Old 01-20-2011, 04:28 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

That is a wake up call dream Todd.
Saw on the news tonight a continuation of the home invasion of an elderly woman the other day at 2 am.

They caught all four of the punks aged 16 to 17, and they were armed.
Home invasion seems to be on the rise.

Being able to protect your family or yourself is within our rights, one reason I am going for the handgun.
I think the AR15 alone would do way to much damage if I ever had to use it in my home.

The 45 is a good slower moving round that has the power to take someone down.

I do not know if I will have time this weekend, but I will get ammo as soon as I get a chance, then Jim and I are hitting Champion Arms down in Kent.
Maybe as soon as the following weekend.
You should join us, they rent there too if you do not have anything.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:40 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Glock 21SF Model number PF2150202

Took off one our early from work today, as I knew traffic was going to be a killer up where the gun shop is where I picked up my Glock 21SF today.

God Bless America, I love walking into a store and being able to take the gun home with me after filling out some paper work.
Having the concealed weapon permit show up yesterday was great.

I do not really care for the white sites on the Glock, so I asked about some Truglo Brite Sites.
They use the same technology as the Acog TA31H-G optic I am picking up later for my AR15.
At night it uses tritium, and during the day it uses fiber optics.
I can not find the info on their site, but here is another site with the model number they installed for me.
TruGlo TG131G1 Fiber Optic Sight For Glock
I paid I think a little to much for the sites at the store, they are much cheaper online.

I asked about ammo, and since I am going to be practicing at the range for awhile, they recommended Fiocchi 45 Auto 230 grain FMJ.
They explained to me this is not a good round though for home defense, as it can penetrate walls to easily.
They recommend hollow points for that since it mushrooms out and more than likely will not exit out the back side and go through a wall hurting someone else.
http://www.fiocchiusa.com/cat_centerfire.html
Found it listed at another site for about the same price I paid, around $20 per 50.
http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Fio...ctinfo/96545A/

The Glock 21SF is not listed on Glocks site for some reason, but they are still cranking them out, and it is a very popular handgun.
I am not finding it online, but the model is PF2150202.

It has the Glock rail (one cutout instead of several like a Picatinny rail has) and one mag release on the left side.
As I posted the other night, the ones with the Picatinny rail and ambidextrous mag release had problems such as snagging on holsters and mags coming out.

Here are a few pictures of it, they include a very nice case with it which holds the mags and a cable lock.

The Surefire X400 laser/light combo I have on the AR15 fits the Glock very well too.
I will have to inquire about a holster that will accommodate the X400 so I can wear it when I am camping in the backcountry.

I am not sure if I am going to be able to shoot it or not this weekend, but next weekend for sure.
I need to lube it first and practice breaking it down and reassembling it.
They make it look so easy in the store

Glock in the box

Truglo sites

Truglow sites away from a light source, the camera can not capture how it really looks, they look awesome

X400 mounted
I think I need to take a piece out of the X400, as it does not sit right.
I might take my Glock down to the shop that worked on my AR15 since I bought the X400 there.
It looks like if I take a piece out of the bottom of the X400 it will slide further back.
Kind of a bummer, as then when I want it on the AR15 I will have to put it back.
A lot cheaper though than springing for a second X400, they are pricey!

Can not wait to shoot this, it has been years since I owned my Taurus 9mm.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:59 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

I fixed the X400.
I had to take out the wedge thing that digs into the Picatinny/Glock rail, and changed it for another one that came with the X400.
I will have to see if this slimmer one still works on my AR15, this way I will not have to change them out each time.

Both that small wedge and the sides of the X400 that screw in hold the X400 securely to the Glock.
Notice in this new picture how the X400 sits all the way back now like it should.

I can use the switch on the X400 and turn it either way, and it does not contact the Glock at all, it fits it to perfection.
Gosh I love this gun.
Gotta shoot it soon.

Old 01-22-2011, 08:24 AM
Contributing Member

That's just crazy with the home invasions...

You want to be careful about 45.s and 9mm weapons in the home though the rounds can go through the walls especially if the drywall is of the thinner sizes. You don't want to try to take down some skel and end up accidentally shooting your family.

The Taurus Judge [link below] might be a better choice it can be loaded with shotgun shells which have less chance of going through the walls and with the projectile spread
you have a greater chance of hitting your target. Don't forget most if not all of your practice shooting will be done at a nice safe range, not in a high stress life/death situation with your adrenalin pumps on overload in a dark house with your family in the next room.

http://www.taurususa.com/video-theJudge.cfm
Old 01-22-2011, 09:06 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Thanks Paul, the store told me not to use the ball ammo for home defense, only for the range.

They recommend hollow point for the home since it will mushroom and stop inside a perp if you have to fire.
Still though a hollow point will go through a wall if it hits it first.

I am not really worried about that happening here, I am more worried when camping out in the back country.
Meth heads and pot growers are now setting up labs in remote areas in the wilderness.
I have come across some in the past when out exploring, and camping with my kids when they were young.

One reason some of the prime spots I use to camp in over a decade ago are now ruined.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:26 PM

Home invasions, burglaries etc., but this is why I carry concealed everywhere I go.

"In years past, one could walk down the streets of Ogden Utah with a feeling of security, without the worry of who might be waiting around the corner, or just beyond the door. On April 22, 1974, all that would change for this picturesque town in Northern Utah. Having a relatively low crime rate at the time, the citizens of Ogden would be rocked by the events of this night, forever changing their community.

April 22, started out like any other spring day, but before the day’s end, five people would experience the most inexplicable terror they could have ever imagined.

The day wore down to late afternoon, and prominent Ogden citizen, Carol Naisbitt, wife of Doctor Byron Naisbitt, became worried when her son, Cortney was extremely late arriving home from an errand at the Hi-Fi Shop, located on Washington Blvd in Ogden. As the minutes ticked by, Carol became more worried, knowing this was completely out of character for her son. Deciding he had been gone way too long, Carol went in search of her son. When she walked into the Hi-Fi Shop, Carol walked onto the scene of what would soon become one of the most grisly murders in Utah history.

Cortney and three other people, Sherry Machelle Ansley, Orren Walker, and (Orren’s son) Stanley Walker were being held hostage by two black gunmen. Just after Carole walked through the door, the two men locked up the doors of the Hi-Fi shop and forced the five hostages into the basement at gunpoint.

Once in the basement, Sherry Machelle Ansley was forced into another room where she was brutally raped. When the perpetrators were finished with her, they forced her and the four other victims to drink Drano before shooting each of them in the head with a 25 caliber gun. Then the two men made off with over $25,000 in stereo equipment. Of the five victims, only Cortney and Orren would survive.

When police arrived on the scene some time later, they were aghast at the brutality of the crimes committed against these people; the manhunt was on, and they would leave no stone unturned until these monsters were brought to justice.

The next day an unnamed informant called in a tip to Ogden City Police with information that would help wrap up the case much sooner than police had anticipated. The informant, an airman stationed at Hill Air Force Base, told police that he had overheard two of his fellow airmen talking about robbing a store and reenacting the violent scenes of the movie, Magnum Force, which the two had seen the night before the murders.

Shortly after receiving the tip, police arrived at the air force barracks and arrested two suspects, William Andrews and Pierre Dale Selby. Later, police would also arrest Keith Roberts, whom apparently had been waiting outside in a car for the two suspects to finish their business on that fateful night.

The story that Orren Walker told at the trial, struck terror into the hearts of all that heard him. Orren Walker recounted the atrocities that he and the other victims were forced to endure at the hands of these killers. Orren witnessed the murder of his twenty year old son, before their attempt to murder him. One of the bullets missed his head, the other just grazing it. When the suspects ran out of bullets, they jammed a pen in his ear and attempted to strangle him before leaving him for dead.

With a severe gunshot wound to the head, and brain damage, Cortney Naisbitt’s survival was nothing short of miraculous. Cortney lay in a coma for days, struggling for his life. His family was told that if he lived, he would probably be a vegetable. Not only did Cortney survive, but he went on to finish high-school and obtain his pilots license, which had been his life long dream. Cortney’s heroic fight for survival was the subject of Gary Kinder’s 1982 best-seller, “Victim; the Other Side of Murder, which was made into the 1991 TV movie, Aftermath, A Test Of Love, starring Richard Chamberlain.

The court found that Keith Roberts had no role in, or knowledge of the murders, though he was convicted of armed robbery. Roberts was paroled in 1987. Andrews and Selby were found guilty of three counts of aggravated homicide and sentenced to death. After years of appeals, Selby was executed in 1987; Andrews’ sentence was carried out five years later. Though there was no joy throughout the community at the execution of these two men, neither was there a display of remorse. With their vicious actions, these two men had not only changed the lives of three families, but they changed the life style of an entire town...."<snip>

Written by Tamara Highfill - © 2002 Pagewise
Old 01-23-2011, 07:46 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks Paul, the store told me not to use the ball ammo for home defense, only for the range.

They recommend hollow point for the home since it will mushroom and stop inside a perp if you have to fire.
Still though a hollow point will go through a wall if it hits it first.

I am not really worried about that happening here, I am more worried when camping out in the back country.
Meth heads and pot growers are now setting up labs in remote areas in the wilderness.
I have come across some in the past when out exploring, and camping with my kids when they were young.

One reason some of the prime spots I use to camp in over a decade ago are now ruined.
This kind of thing is why I say anyone found with any amount of illegal drug on them should be stood up against the nearest wall and summarily executed forthwith. If you eliminate the market you eliminate the producers.

Quick Reply: Ho ho ho, Santa came early (AR15 upgrades) Glock21SF/Glock 36 too