Vendors Build-Ups (Build-Up Section) Vendors can showcase customer builds here

Toyota FiberGlass: 1st 1983 Trekker Build-Up Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 04:11 PM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
holy cow ..

so I finally got it all split up .. 3 pieces .

post some pics tomorrow .
Old 07-20-2007, 04:39 PM

so ...

canopy / topper

box sides

and

tub

as stripped , as it gets ..

all kinds of cool dates , and builder names and stuff , but the cam wouldnt get em .

so now the fun begins .

Old 07-20-2007, 07:12 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
nice work
cant wait to see what u do for the Trekker conversion kit, i'll be very interested in one later on down the road
Old 07-21-2007, 06:30 AM

there is metal in there , or was .... but not where your saying .

on the bed sides , there was metal plating glued on to the front of the sides , and then where the licence plate bolted to ..

on the tub the only metal I found , or should I rephrase , the only metal that use to be there , was in the rails , and the rear latch area . The rails had completly disintegrated , and only rust remained . I swept it up into the garbage. under the seat belts there is some sort of stiffener as well , but it seems to be intact , not sure of its composition .

on the floor/cargo area , they used a wire mesh to strengthen up the floor .. maybe they used that on the sides as well .. I didnt see any , but I havent cut a hole in it either ..

on the bed sides the date 09/28/81 is hand written .. all in all , im impressed with the quality ...back then the resins , and materials were not very sophisticated ,for a 25 year old piece , it is in really excellent shape . Now a days .. there have been huge advances in composite materials .. I know now , I can out built the original .
Old 07-21-2007, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by 4banginRunner
nice work
cant wait to see what u do for the Trekker conversion kit, i'll be very interested in one later on down the road

thank you .
Old 07-22-2007, 06:34 PM

so picked up my Parts truck today ..
6 hr drive , with truck and trailer ..

excellent .
Old 07-22-2007, 08:24 PM

looks like a pretty clean parts truck to me
Old 07-23-2007, 04:16 PM

yeah , nice truck for the money .. box is toast , and the floors are also toast .. but surprisingly , the frame is good .. WOW .. I will be able to recoupe some coinage .

it's kinda of a double wammy ....

I needed something to test fit the 79-83 hi clearance fenders i'm building

and I also needed a long box frame , for a long box Trekker I have sold .. going to Texas ..

+ now I have a good front end .. and many other parts for MY Trekker
Old 07-23-2007, 07:43 PM

ic ic, understandable now lol
always good to hear that the frame is good

and those are some beautiful fenders there
Old 07-24-2007, 04:00 PM

so an update is in order .

This blue Trekker unit has been sold .. money in hand .. I now am converting/customizing it into a LONGBOX trekker unit for a customer in Texas .

looks like mine has to wait , and now I have to start all over again .
Old 08-08-2007, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slacker
ohh ... and to set it straight ...

there were Wolverienies , Trailblazers , and Trekkers . 2500 in total .

Not true, i own a Trekker and a Trailblazer, i know for a fact there were 4,000 Trailblazers alone, i still have the original build plaque for mine that lists it as #3569 of 4000. Not sure on exact numbers of Trekkers but have heard a bunch of speculation. I am not a believer in the Wolverine (yet) i have NEVER seen one (in person, or on the web) and have never even talked to anyone that has. I went to look at a "Wolverine" for sale once, it ended up being another Trialblazer with the "Trailblazer" emblem removed. I have never even heard of the company that did the conversion on the Wolverines. Winnebago did the Trekker and Griffith (now out of business) did the Trialblazer.

Trailblazer is for sale by the way...here are some pics of both...

On a side note, cant wait to see what you come up with for your conversion, i've always been a fan of your products!

One more thing...do you ever plan on doing anything with the old Chinook rear sections? I would give anything to have the old school, pop up, Chinook rear half on a 2nd gen Extra Cab or even 84-89 4runner? What would be the chances of you making a mold for those?

Last edited by Okiyota; 08-08-2007 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:37 PM

seriously ???? I would like to see the build plaque ... I didnt think the #'s were that many !

in the Day .. I worked at the largest TRUCK dealer in Canada , I PERSONALLY saw all 3 of these models when they were NEW ... (If only I had of known.. and snapped a picture )..

SO ... it seems .. the wolverine is elusive .. and may be worth a few ..

ohhh .. an NO I wont be doing any Chinook resurections .

to bad your so far away ... I would buy that trailblazer in a heart beat .

Last edited by slacker; 08-08-2007 at 05:39 PM.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:43 PM

just to let you know ... I'm tryin' real hard to bring these classics back to life ...

I honestly feel that these units will be collectors in the very near future ... much like the Muscle cars for the baby boomers ... not my era , nice cars and all ... but i drove a Toy in my youth .
Old 08-08-2007, 06:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I looked on the UPS website for shipping info on a frame. Can you give me the dimensions/weight of a frame so I can see what shipping will cost? I guestimated and got a shipping price of $750.00

My 1983 build is at a stand-still until I locate a frame. This weekend cab comes off, engine gets pulled and frame meets the sawzall .
Old 08-08-2007, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by 89dlx
I looked on the UPS website for shipping info on a frame. Can you give me the dimensions/weight of a frame so I can see what shipping will cost? I guestimated and got a shipping price of $750.00

My 1983 build is at a stand-still until I locate a frame. This weekend cab comes off, engine gets pulled and frame meets the sawzall .

dont know if I can have one that soon for ya .. !!!!

I have only 1 good original short frame box , and 1 long box frame . The short frame is for this build .. as I said , I do have another , but it is on this Trekker I am building , and it has been hit in the front , so it need to see some time on the frame straightening gig .. I can do it .. but it all takes time ..

be patient , and buy a NEW one from me .. $2500.00

I just need 3 sales .. you'd be the second .. and I'll throw 8G at the project to build the gigs , and table .. and the production .
Old 08-09-2007, 03:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks, but that $2500 is out of my price range for a frame. That's why I need a solid (no rust) used one.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by slacker
seriously ???? I would like to see the build plaque ... I didnt think the #'s were that many !

in the Day .. I worked at the largest TRUCK dealer in Canada , I PERSONALLY saw all 3 of these models when they were NEW ... (If only I had of known.. and snapped a picture )..

SO ... it seems .. the wolverine is elusive .. and may be worth a few ..

ohhh .. an NO I wont be doing any Chinook resurections .

to bad your so far away ... I would buy that trailblazer in a heart beat .

Yeah seriously, it is a little metal plate on the back of the owners manual that came with the truck when it was purchased new. I bought the truck from the original owner, it has all kinds of cool little details like that, there is even a plaque on the dash that says it was "Specially Ordered" for the original owner and gives a date and some other crap. I have some documents somewhere from Griffith about the conversion and the people that worked on it, neat stuff.

Thats good to know that the Wolverine does in fact exist, finally someone with some first hand knowledge of them, i wish you had a picture or something. Were they all fiberglass in the rear like the Trekker or steel and fiber like the Trailblazer? Did the roof come off? Did they have some different styling than the other two?

Guess my collection isnt done then, gotta start looking for a Wolverine again!!

Thats too bad about the Chinooks, i would love to have one.

So far away?? Sounds like a perfect excuse for a road trip!! I just got it in running/driving condition last week!

Old 08-09-2007, 03:25 PM

You know, on a side note, i did hear once that the Wolverines were more like an RV conversion (sort of like a chinook, just no where near that size) and were done years before the Trekker and Trailblazer (late 70's only)? Also that they were only 2wd???

Do you know if any of this is true?
Old 08-09-2007, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by 89dlx
Thanks, but that $2500 is out of my price range for a frame. That's why I need a solid (no rust) used one.

sorry ... all I got ... you CAN'T have my good one .. it for my Trekker .

you never did mention .. is it a short or long ? cuz i do have a long bed fram for sale .
Old 08-09-2007, 04:17 PM

Okiyota
from what I remember .. the Wolverienes were much like the Trailblazers .. they were a steel bed , with a topper .... walkthrew .. but if memory serves me correctly .. and I dont know if i'm right , but I believe the Wolverine did NOT have a back seat .. It's been a long time . but it " rings a bell "

I have asked/trying to contact the people I use to work with .. "back in the day" to see if anyone has a pic .

here in Canada .. they were ALL (the 1 or 2 we saw ) were 4X4's .. From what I understand though .. much like the Mojave in /83 here in Canada they were ALL 4WD .. and in the USA .. they were all 2WD (so i'm told)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Toyota FiberGlass: 1st 1983 Trekker Build-Up Thread