Vendors Build-Ups (Build-Up Section) Vendors can showcase customer builds here

Toyota FiberGlass: 1st 1983 Trekker Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 04:51 PM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
so got a little more done today on the trekker , put a passenger side door on to seal it up , hood .. and got things a wee bit orginized .. (emptied my truck out)

Old 05-23-2007, 03:33 PM

absolutly .. I will be posting lots of pics ..

where is the plate ? I was told it was on the steering column , but havent found it yet . also checked the drivers door on the roller , nothing there either . I thought all of them were plated ? but cant confirm that , maybe only on the ones sold in the US .....

3rd one is still there .. I have to go back . long story , but my buddy decided to bring another unit back instead of the 3rd one .
Old 05-24-2007, 06:17 AM

mmmmm ok .. I check it out . thanks.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:26 PM

well ratz ... I dont have one ... I was kinda hoping , but no go .
Old 06-02-2007, 02:53 PM

so my apprentice and I started a little work ..
removing the damaged front clip and engine

my boys first "war wound"

Old 06-03-2007, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More pictures please Keep us in the loop on progress. Any Idea if/when the mould/s will be "ready"? 1eye
Old 06-03-2007, 05:15 PM

this build is going to be a slow one .. it's actually (I think) going to be my boys b-day presant .. all depends on how much time he invests .. he's cyked about it , so well see how long ..

I'm also building a 400 hp 2wd supra/truck .

moulds wont be done untill early /08 .
Old 06-04-2007, 09:46 PM

I was just curious about what kind of reinforcement is needed between the cab and bed to do a conversion. Isn'e that a flexpoint between the two? I've always wanted to join the cab to the bed and put in a backseat. My idea is more similar to the trucks that were shipped to Africa and Austrailia like this:

http://www.brian894x4.com/images/83Oz4door2.jpg

Regarding Winnebegos...there's a guy selling an extended 1983 version and an 82 with a Chinook camper:

http://www.greenwest.net/toyota/

Any ideas where to find an early 80s 4 door cab?
Old 06-05-2007, 06:31 AM

we're going to be supplying all the supports with the kits .. basically all you'll have to do is cut the hole in the cab , and mount the products .

I'll be posting pics hopefully soon .

The blue one in the pic , is actually going to be torn apart , and extended to a long bed , (sold) for a customer .

4 dr. cabs were produced for the overseas market .. as far as I know , you would have to import a used cab in .
Old 06-22-2007, 08:42 PM

i have some questions about a Trekker. I found this site to try to get some answers before an auction ends on ebay. I love 80's toyota's, and want to get a junk yard of em goin. But I saw this one on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ayphotohosting

It is in Canada, my "real" home is in Oregon and I have a bro that will get it for me. So thats not an issue. I dont think. So here are my questions. I am not too savy with this stuff, but want to get goin on it. Maybe you guys can help me out...

One more thing, about the "kilometers"....Is that a problem living in the US?

Is there any problems with buying an out of country vehicle?
Is this a good one for me to get? Can you see any problems in the pictures?
Are the parts hard to find?

I guess thats it...HELP ME!! Thanks Dustin

Last edited by smith89panthers; 06-22-2007 at 08:43 PM. Reason: 1 more question!
Old 06-23-2007, 01:18 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
yea, watch the frame rust. you might be able to pick up a good frame, and swap everything over?!
Old 06-23-2007, 06:06 AM

yeah .. frame is toast on that one .. I would suggest replacing with a good frame .

speedo can easly be changed to MPH .. just pick up a used cluster , and swap it ..

I dont believe there is any issues with bringing a vehicle into your country , as long as it over 15 years old ..

on the hush , hush ... my company is prototyping a NEW frame for production for these years ..also , we are going to be building moulds , and building the WHOLE trekker back 1/2's .. re-designing/engineering the rear hatch , and making the roof easier to remove .. ect ... original parts are difficult to come by , but were hoping to change that
Old 06-23-2007, 06:12 AM

ohhh ... and yes .. that floor HAS been "modified" .. there are supose to be wheel wells on the inside .
Old 06-23-2007, 08:33 AM

WOW thanks for all the help. Thanks for showing me the other Trekker also. I am from the Medford area so I will look into that red one. I hope its frame isnt "rotten"! Thanks! Dustin
Old 06-23-2007, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
That is what I thought..hmmmm. wonder if after I throw a wider axle back there if there would be enough room to trim the wheel wells like that one...might try, 'glass is easier to fix for me..

I think I am going to look at that one in Oregon City. I am from Medford, if i get it there ill be good. The red one dosnt look all that bad. I called the seller and he said it needs a new interior, which is up my ally. Im not so good with the exterior, which needs work. I will bring my toyota smart little brother with me. Dustin
Old 06-23-2007, 05:07 PM

cool ... another trekker owner ? (maybe)

might just have to start up a club .
Old 07-06-2007, 03:44 PM

so finally got a chance to tear into the back 1/2 .. and WOW . I must say there is NO lack of fasteners ..

no word of a lie , I pulled at least 100 fasteners out of there ..
I absolutly can not see removing the factory topper on these Trekkers , and replaceing them ... my new ones will be engineered to do so , but holy cow .. well maybe you'll be able to see the pain I went threw in the pics ..

Old 07-08-2007, 07:46 AM

no kidding .. screws are just in there randomly with no pattern . it was about a 3 hr job , and that was with it off the truck , and the cab sectioned .. i'm not looking forward to doing it again , but maybe next time it will now be easier

thats basically how I'm going to make it easier as well ... more like the 84-89's and have bolts in there , they will be built , and supplied with our kits ..

ohhh and yes .. 1/2 doors are comming .. as well as hoods , custom hi clearance fronts , and a rear flare "cut out" to match our fronts .

speaking of coping .. I sure like your B4runner decal/name .. I cant really , or dont want to call our conversion a Trekker ..
Old 07-09-2007, 04:47 PM

cool .. I will keep you posted ..

I came up with an idea for a " seal" and a "mount" between the cab and the canopy .. with out a lot of hastle .. super easy to RE & RE .. making the canopy easly removable ..

I was thinking of having a extruded alumminnum channel made to fit the opening .. like a pinch weld moulding that lines the doors .. with a heaver side and "nut certs" to make it a bolt on affair ... along the bace of the canopy .. a dedicated chanel , with nut certs , or weld ins .. to make it a bolt on ..

I know this sounds "WHAT" ??? .. so I will keep you posted .

ohh .. and thank you ..
i'm now going to call the companys Trekker conversions .. B4Runner .
Old 07-10-2007, 04:12 PM

wow .. my shop is packed ..

I was able to move the canopy out back for now , and I will be bringing the blue box section in the shop again .. to chop it into many pieces .
cutting and splicing isnt a problem .. I do it all the time .. The blue one I'm extending into a long box trekker (only one in the world as far as I know) for a customer in Florida (i think it is ) I'm going to be using larger windows , more updated .. I'm kinda lucky as for that .. we have a canopy/topper production facility here .. they have spawned a huge powdercoating plant , and alum. window producer ... I can get all I want , built to my specs there ...

I will let you know about joining them and the extruded alum. piece .. I gotta figure it out by October ..

as far as the wheel wells go .. not sure yet .. if i like it .. ??

i'm more the comfort junky .. they are the perfect armrests ..

Quick Reply: Toyota FiberGlass: 1st 1983 Trekker Build-Up Thread