Looking For A Mechanic/Fabricator/Shop Put your location in your thread title when making an inquiry

Looking for a Reputable Mechanic in OAKLAND/EAST BAY

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 02:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Looking for a Reputable Mechanic in OAKLAND/EAST BAY

Hello Wise Y.T.!

Firstly; Appologies if this is in the wrong section. I've been confused about where I should post this type of request...

I recently relocated from Santa Cruz to Oakland C.A., for a career... so who knows how long I'll be up here!

I'm looking for a recommendation to a good mechanic in the area, specifically because there are often times when I cannot work on my truck, and want to have someone help me out... any advice on where to go?

Thanks!

_Rasta_Rocket_

Old 08-23-2014, 10:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
No sé?

I just called a shop, who literally didn't know what a U-Joint was.

Old 08-23-2014, 11:04 AM

Received 602 Likes on 441 Posts
Sigh,, story of my life.

Some of the worst I have seen were at New car dealerships-- not Toyota specificly.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Get to know a few of the guys at your local parts stores. They are getting harder to find, the ones that actually know what is going on and have worked as mechanics, but they can recommend some great mechanics.

I have seen salesman that did not know one thing about the car they were selling, just wanting to make the sell. Any dealership for that matter.
Old 03-30-2016, 05:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Rasta!

Did you find anybody good? I need some stuff done on my '00 Taco and don't have the space or tools to get it done. I'd really like to take it to a place in Oakland that has lots of experience working on 4WD Tacomas.
Old 10-29-2016, 06:40 PM

cliff at diablo off road
Old 10-30-2016, 09:12 AM

After calling several places, (and even having my truck towed (on a flat bed) to one place where the owner refused to work on it, because it had a lift kit...see more at end of post), I ended up taking it to Alameda Import Automotive. The owner (who actively runs the shop) has a lifted Toyota Tacoma (2013 I think). I had about $3000 worth of work done to the truck and they only screwed two things up. All in all, I feel like that's pretty good. It's about a mile down the road from 4Wheel Parts and the shop will gladly use customer-supplied parts.

I had ordered new shock lower bushings for the front, but the shop owner pointed out that the left shock was actually leaking, so I had him order new ones, same as factory TRD billsteins.

On a positive note, the seal that I did on the oil pan actually held just fine. I was positive that it was leaking still, but it turns out that it was the lower crank/timing belt seal (or whatever it's called). The pan definitely *was* leaking before I started, and many of the bolts were not even finger tight.

They installed:
upper ball joints (original toyota parts-*)
front shocks (toyota billstein-%)
water pump, front-end seals, timing belt, all other belts, etc.(engnbldr kit from eBay-*)
rear leafs with extra leaf (ARB / OMECS046R (left and right, from 4WheelParts free ship to store-*) extra leaf from ChuxTrux
rear shocks (ARB / OME ARB60065 from 4WheelParts-*)
front right wheel bearing and seal (*)
left and right front diff seals (*)
headlight restore (%)

* = My parts
% = Shop parts

They screwed up:
They didn't properly tighten power steering pump, so it was slipping/squealing on the belt when the wheel was first sent to an extreme. I fixed it with some wrenches.
They somehow broke the airbox to MAF holder connection and repaired it with windshield gasket goop. It didn't hold. I fixed it with gorilla tape, will fix with aftermarket MAF holder kit.
Also, it's possible that the rear axle is now slightly out of line. The truck wants to pull left slightly and the steering wheel isn't centered. My brain has already fixed this in how I drive and I don't notice it now.

My fiancee takes her car to a place called Lam's automotive on the corner of Telegraph and Grand. After several phone calls and conversations, I brought my truck (via a flat-bed towing company) to his shop. The driver was getting ready to drop my truck off when Lam said that he didn't know how to work on my truck. He flat out stated that since it had an aftermarket lift, he wouldn't know how to do the work. This is even though I explained to him several times that all I wanted him to do was the wheel bearing (stock) and the waterpump/timing belt (all stock stuff)... Even though nothing that his shop was going to work on was even related to the lift kit... So I eventually had the truck towed back to my house. That was a $360 "joyride"...

So, I recommend Alameda Import Automotive. It's just off International on 48th Ave in Oakland.