Looking For A Mechanic/Fabricator/Shop Put your location in your thread title when making an inquiry

1988 4Runner swap

Old 08-13-2015, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1988 4Runner swap

Ok. I have a 1988 4Runner, in which I am in love with. She has the EFI 3.0 V-6 engine. (We all know what that means) I'm interested in doing an engine swap to 3.4. She finally blew a gasket and want to get her fixed, but I have no idea where to begin. I live in SoCal and want to do it legit, meaning I'll be able to smog it. I talked to a 2 mechanics down here.. And basically they kinda gave me the "good luck with that" thing. Any ideas on where I could get it done, right and fair. Where they won't take advantage of the short little blonde girl? LA or San Diego??
Help!
Old 08-14-2015, 01:38 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
That will be costly. I think I have seen a place in LA that does it but cant recall who it is. Really do a back ground check on the company that does it. I remember some one in California that had theirs done and even which side the exhaust pipe comes out on was something they were gigged on when they went for inspection. They did finally pass, just make sure they have done a few of them before going to have it done.
Old 08-14-2015, 06:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here's where to start: Google search "Toyota 3.4 swap smog legal"

First results you'll see are threads here on YT including this one:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160...l-swap-255946/

Always use Google to search, and its just a matter of trying the right keywords until you get what you want. These days someone has usually already done what we want to do, and its nice to learn from the mistakes - of OTHERS! HA! OK good luck with your project!
Old 08-14-2015, 09:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think (and that's a big maybe) I've heard that YotaMasters has done the swap a few times, but I'm not sure if that was for their own trucks or for customers.

Another option would be to somehow get the 4Runner up to Oregon (trailer it yourself or hire it out) and have Toy Only Swaps do the swap. I don't know that they specifically aim to meet CA SMOG requirements, but it's pretty easy to keep it all SMOG legal, they just need to keep all the parts and components application specific (i.e. if the the donor was a 99 4Runner (just an example) then when the swap is done all the parts, intake, sensors, emissions, exhaust must match what a 99 4Runner was equipped with from the factory or that any aftermarket component has an EO SMOG approved sticker).

There is always the option of doing it yourself. It's probably one of the "easiest" engine swaps around but it is still quite involved, but if you take your time, do your homework (read through various build threads over and over until you can almost recite them in your sleep....or maybe that was just me), and get all your parts from one donor truck by either buying a donor truck, buying it all from someone parting out a truck, or arranging for some kind of "package" from a local junk yard that willing to work with you.

As to Terry's comment regarding the exhaust routing, that was either Cadman or dntsdad (look them up, they're great threads), when I was staring my swap, Fall of 2011, I called and talked to a SMOG Ref about that exact issue, and the board had just changed their stance (someone appealed a visual fail from a local Ref, took it to the board, made is case and they agreed), so that now you can modify the exhaust to safely fit your vehicle, but all the components (flanges, catalytic converters, O2 sensors, etc) MUST be in the same relative location as they were from the factory. Meaning that if the first O2 sensor was 8" from the exhaust manifold on the passenger side, it could be modified to the driver's side, but that O2 sensor must still be 8" from the manifold (made up, hypothetical measurements).

Good luck and check out https://www.yotatech.com/f160 for all your 3.4 swap questions and answers.